Reclaimers Technology Recovery Team 6: Part 1

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Reclaimers Technology Recovery Team 6: Part 1

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Sven was already tired. The ship had just entered Earth’s atmosphere two minutes ago and he could feel the weight bearing down on his muscles, even with his EXO-195 life support suit preventing him from collapsing then and there. He hadn’t trained for years on the moon like the veterans. This was his first trip to Earth. He had joined the Tech Recovery Unit just for this. He had heard stories; everyone had. “The virus will kill you,” the soldiers always said. “And watch out for the robots while salvaging. They fight back if you shoot them.”

Sven also knew he was going to face the X’lanthos, the daemons that destroyed his planet just before they lost the 100 years war. He learned all about it in school. Now that he was 17 he got to go down and see it for himself.

“Deployment positions.” The pilot of the landing ship spoke as they plummeted to the planet’s surface. Sven moved to his position by the bay door. “Landing in five….four….three….two….one….” The shipped jarred when it landed. “Surface reached. Get some good stuff, and don’t die out there.” The door to the vessel opened with a hiss of hydraulic fluid and Sven, along with his Recovery Team, put on their air filtering helmets and ran out onto the Earth’s surface.

The sight was unbelievable. They were in the parking lot of an ancient supermarket, or so he had been told during the briefing. There was very little left that gave it away. Plants overgrew the entire lot; hundred year old trees grew out of the hoods of pre-war cars; the building itself was a monument to nature, with what seemed to be moss and vines making it appear as if the ground had just raised directly up in a green, living plateau.

As he and his team searched for the entrance to the supermarket, Sven noticed movement in the forest surrounding the field that was a parking lot so long ago. He raised his rifle and looked through the scope. Large creatures, indescribable by English words, stood on the edge of the clearing, watching the intruders in their territory. As they watched, the lead creature howled, or wailed-- it was difficult to discern which while the noise deafened you momentarily. The unnatural sound caused birds to scatter from the trees, blackening the skies, and more creatures of various sizes and shapes joined the Alpha on the edge of the field.

Sven’s commander, Mark, raised his voice and said, “The wildlife ain’t taking a liking to us boys. They’re going to charge soon and we either need to be in this building or praying to whatever god it is you want to pray to that we don’t die today.”

Sven noticed a reflection emitting from the center of the mass of green. When he examined it, it became clear that there was a window behind those vines.

“Hey, I found something!” Sven shouted in fear and excitement alike.

Mark walked up to him and examined it. “Looks like there’s a window here. Jared, put up a gravity field to protect us. Everyone else, start cutting through these vines.”

Jared, the team’s Potentialist, raised his right hand. He had a glove that used Potential Energy to manipulate gravitational forces for brief periods of time. What the commander had told him to do was place a barrier of either extreme gravity or lack of gravity--he hadn’t made clear which--around them, making reaching them incredibly difficult if not near impossible. Jared decided on extreme gravity and made an invisible wall of force around the team.

Sven watched as the beasts charged towards them, howling their various cries of the hunt, and bashed into a force so powerful, even the Alpha was crushed and crawled backwards until he could stand up again, but it was obvious that he had lost a lot of his strength.

The team managed to cut the vine clear and break the window. Everyone climbed through and, when everyone else was in, Jared lowered the field and jumped into the building, the animals of the wild charging towards him.
Last edited by AirborneHam on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Reclaimers Technology Recovery Team 6: Part 1

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Just something I started writing yesterday and I really got into it. I'm going to continue the story but this is as far as I've got right now.

It only gets better.

jiko
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jiko » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I liked it very very good.

cant wait for the rest.
Read the forum before you comment on the forum.

Understand the forum before you comment on the forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Oh yeah, the names for the exo-suit and,heh, potentialist are not permanent. Like I didn't name or really describe the animals, I tried to keep from making dumb ideas for the undeveloped information from showing up in my story.

It only gets better.

jiko
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jiko » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Ya I noticed that. one of the reason's I liked it
Read the forum before you comment on the forum.

Understand the forum before you comment on the forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I loved it. It made the factions seem that much more real to me.

Keep writing!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Ok, I read these the wrong way around, but even in reverse, well done! :)
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Louen
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Louen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Vary well written, i liked it.