Augers: the animal faction

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
silverflame1382
Now we're getting somewhere...

Augers: the animal faction

Post by silverflame1382 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm

So i have been out of the loop on Dark Potential development lately and am just jumping back into the scene. In the video where Matt was discussing the factions, he mentioned an animal faction, which I thought would be awesome, but all comments about it that I could find seemed to somewhat flounder as to how that would work. I am not sure if the concept of thsi faction is still on the table, but just in case, here is a little story to introduce my view.

“You’re all nothing but filthy animals!” coughed a desperately angry voice.
“Now there’s no need for name calling, but since you did raise the topic, lets explore that.” A lean figure paced slowly in front of three men bound to their chairs with rope. The room was dimly lit, and the only distinguishing features of their interrogator were a grizzled beard and a deep brow that cast an even darker shadow towards his glistening eyes. “You propose that we are animals. I can’t rightly tell you you’re wrong, because all of humanity can be classified as a certain type of animal, but then again I’m sure you weren’t referring to that,” said the pacing man as he let out a chuckle that sounded not unlike a low growl.
“Augers are scum, you’re nothing but trash! Barely even human anymo…” the voice of the middle captive faded to a gurgle as the bearded man removed his hands from his broken neck.
“What is it that defines our humanity? Certainly not our DNA; we’ve been toying with that for centuries and yet you, the progeny of generations of manipulation, would boldly call yourselves more human than us. No my good sir, the one trait that every human has in common, is presumption. Humanity believes in an inherent right to be right. What makes us human is our intellect and our capacity for advancement. You bandits simply chose a different path to advancement, a much slower one.” A low whining started outside the metal door, and then a faint scratching sound.
“At least we don’t live like animals.”
“You live in cages of rotting metal and feed on the scraps of a dead civilization! We live freely and travel wherever we please. Hmph, ‘Augers’ the least you could do would be to give our achievement the appropriate respect. We were trapped in those government bunkers for decades, fearing the enemy soldiers, fearing the disease, fearing everything that we thought waited for us outside the sealed doors. We were spared by the X’Lanthos, or rather overlooked, likely because we had no strategic military value at our facilities. So our genetic scientists exhausted every avenue of improving our chances of survival, until Dr. Nuru found a way to augment our own genetic structure enough to mimic that of the animals which were free to roam the earth outside our walls. And why would we stop there, the animals had so much more to teach us, a society without gluttons, where everyone can find a place, even if only as food. So we continued our modifications until all of us could control our pheromones, allowing us to interact with the beasts that roamed this new world left to us.”
“The world belongs to us who were strong enough to survive the war, not hole up in bunkers like you cowards. What’re you keeping us alive for anyway?”
The man walked over to the door and let out a short whistle. The whining and scratching stopped. “You’re right, it’s a bad habit to play with your prey. If you were still wondering when the right time was to surprise me with those knives you’ve got tucked away, I would suggest you do it now. I could smell the oiled steel as soon as they drug you through the door.
The two remaining bandits broke free and lunged across the room with hate in their eyes, but they were too slow. The other man turned the handle and stepped aside as the door burst open. The bandits disappeared in a noisy flurry of fur and fangs that quickly faded to a subtle crunching.

I think that this would allow a mainly animal intensive army while still giving a solid reason as to why multiple species of animals would unite into a martially comparable force, and allowing some sense of motive in the form of the humans. This seemed feasible becasue of the referenced genetic manipulation in the reclaimer's backstory. The humans who have augmented there genes can have animalistic quirks ranging from the more tame pack mentality and toying with prey to the more intentionally specialized such as heightened senses like smell, chameleon camouflage, natural sunscreen like hippos, or heat based vision like some snakes.

Please give me any feedback. Hopefully this short story was not too presumptuous in attempting to create a story. I am also very sorry in advance if this post is irrelevant because the animal faction possibility has been discarded or already established in a way contradictory to this.

kaalu
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Augers: the animal faction

Post by kaalu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

I like it, very well written but I find a major flaw in that it has dialog like it does. Look at the other backgrounds on the website, they are all told in a more past tense manner. While I totally encourage you to write a longer story that goes more in depth, the background for the website (I assume that is what you were trying to go for?) should be more detailed but MUCH less personal. Like no quotes or any of that kind of stuff, save that for the stories. More timeline-y.

silverflame1382

Post by silverflame1382 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for the input. I suppose I could try to write an actual backstory, but this was just to try to convey the nature of the faction as I saw them, like several of the stories about the bandits. Knowing that someone actually likes this though, I guess I'll give posting a backstory a shot and see how it's received. I'll try to get one up in the next 2 weeks.

GREENSTUFF-JUNKIE

Post by GREENSTUFF-JUNKIE » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I like it a lot. I would also like to read a back-story but I thought this was a great way to get acquainted with the Augers. Keep at it.