Salvager Scout-Bot Concept Art

Submit your fan-made concept art/stories/etc. here!
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas / artwork without compensation.
parker781
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Salvager Scout-Bot Concept Art

Post by parker781 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 am

So I have been interested in the creation of salvager concept art and I have continued to think about units and how they will look. All of the concept art we have seen of the Salvagers are of walkers, spider thing robots. I get the direction here and I think it works. I was thinking one day about a flying salvager that's duty would be scouting the area. To think about it wouldn't it be nice for them to survey the area before they enter the platoon of robots to salvage things. In the fluff it would make sense, a smaller flying robot that moves quick and scouts the area for the rest of the salvagers. In the game of Dark Potential the model could be a scout model, fast moving, scout benefit, and maybe some other tactical advantages. The first thing that came to my head was the Tau things, I forget what they are called, the drones that fly around. I was thinking a disc with anti grav things underneath it and shields maybe with some sort of head. Well I tried this out and it looked like crap, I was severly dissapointed in how it looked. I did not give up on the idea however and after observing the concept art again I came up with another idea.

Working off of a head and discs that use anti gravity I originall drew some pictures of what I was thinking. I thought they looked promising, and I am a terrible drawer, much better painter and 3d modeller. So I started making a model in 3ds Max to give a good and blocky representation of what the model could look like in person. I gave it three legs that come off the torso which mechanicall steer where the bot is going. The engine in the back propells the robot and small thrusters in the middle of each disc also help in propellant and mobility.

The torso itself is head like and based off of the concept art Matt has already received. The top sides of the head could supply firepower(scout firepower bot etc, and the bottom sides of the torso could have arms(medic, repairer bot totally logical why would they travel without one right?). I haven't made these yet so offer suggestions if you would like. I wanted to post some pics in the very early stages of modelling to see if you guys like it and if I should proceed. It is very low poly at this point but I wanted to get some impressions and possibly good suggestions to move on from here.

Textures would be done after the model is finished.