In Response to Apr13 Concept Art

Submit your fan-made concept art/stories/etc. here!
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas / artwork without compensation.
cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

In Response to Apr13 Concept Art

Post by cymruvoodoo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:07 am

First up, the Reclaimers - With there being a change described, I'm going to have to hear more about what's changing to give you a really clear response. As it stands, however, here's my first reaction. Standard disclaimer about opinions and interpretations applies.

I don't really like the look of the reclaimers. It just does not have a unique look-and feel. Am I looking at Warpath Corporation rangers? Am I looking at Infinity Nomads? Yu Jing? Haqqislamite assassins? No, wait, it's Halo! No, it's actually Mass Effect alliance marines! Wait, I looked again, maybe it's actually just a generic FPS player skin. That skin-suit and body armour with sealed helmet and menacing faceplate design is far, far too forgttable and has no sense of "faction" about it. I would really like to see something with less layered-yet-form-fitting plating on the torso, something a bit more space-tech inspired.

If I were to sum up these designs without knowing anything about the game, I'd expect it to be anime-inspired corporate- or state- "special division" commandos who would be posing dramatically and rushing into battle with fully automatic small-caliber firearms and swords. Boring, trite, and not really what you want in a starter box.

The X'lanthos, on the other hand, I like. Your instinct that the bottom row is better is, I feel, right on the money. They are by no means perfect, but my favorite designs are the first and the last in the bottom row. I think the swept-back teardrop shape of the torso with the almost integrated head is good. I think the design, whatever it is, needs to minimize the amount of "human but distorted with a carapace" and instead be truly alien, evolved in a very diferent set of circumstances and under a different set of pressures. I have to admit, however, I don't think that scale looks good if they're intended to be subterranean in origin. That may have changed also, but as of the last time I went over the X'lanthos background thread I thought that was the case. Also, honestly, all aliens are taller than humans in space, apparently. I like that the reclaimers are the tall humans from space, we have normal size humans from virus-bombed Earth, and then we could have the shorter aliens, perhaps 3/4 normal human height?

Honestly, I think your worry about the X'lanthos looking too much like other things won't be a problem if you just drop the height down. Then they won't be Halo Elites, or Mass Effect Turians, they'll be cool!

So, to sum up, Reclaimers, big problem area for me, need a lot more work. X'lanthos, good work so far but I think you should look at the scale in particular and always keep in mind that you're looking for something properly alien, so keep the torso shape and body proportions as different as possible within this look from human/earth normal.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: In Response to Apr13 Concept Art

Post by slaughtergames » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I totally agree that Aliens don't have to be taller than Humans. Just why? Especially if they're going to be subterranean in origin.

As for recliamers, I like them, but I'd still like improvements. an example would be to steer away from the armor-look and go for a more support-suit style. The way I envision this: kind of a divingsuit, (obviously without scuba-gear) and then with metalic brackets along the legs, arms, back, neck and chest. essentially where the muscles have to work hardest to keep you standing upright.
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm

I agree, X'lanthos don't need to be bigger than humans, especially since reclaimers are supposed to be about a foot taller that terrestrials. We don't want humans to look like halflings just cuz everything else is hueg :-p

Black-Napalm
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Black-Napalm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 pm

everyone keeps saying that the X'lanthos are subterranean so it would make sense that they would be shorter than us but to keep it interesting not to much shorter then us.

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wasaw47 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:02 pm

the reason aliens are almost always taller than humans is because it makes them more intimidating and menacing. if we made the x'lanthos smaller they would look like grunts from halo, and we all know how fearsome warriors they are xD

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:19 pm

You know, I think it might just be me, but I'm not scared of taller things than myself. Most of the dangerous stuff is a whole lot lower to the ground. Besides, the taller, chicken-legged alien thing is now predictable and uninspiring. Is it District 9, Mass Effect, Halo, heck, throw Avatar in there, even though they didn't have the elongated feet and tip-toe stance.

Throw the predictions for a loop, work with the background, and give the X'lanthos a predatory, menacing look keyed off of something other than height?