The line between Matt's science fiction and pseudo-science

Submit your fan-made concept art/stories/etc. here!
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas / artwork without compensation.
CeresBane
MiniWarGaming Beginner

The line between Matt's science fiction and pseudo-science

Post by CeresBane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:56 am

Ok so apparently Matt wants to be very scientific with this project and lacking any sci-fi without strongish scientific theory behind it.

That's how I define his idea.

But I look at some of his concepts and I get the impression that he might have contradicted himself a little.

For example, the animals have "the virus" in them and adapted to use it in their venom. For that to be possible the adaptibility and metabolic rate of the creature would have to equal that of the tyranids.

And he mentions the virus to be able to control minds to such a degree. Mind control is immensely difficult, at best (and practiced and researched for hundreds of years) you can brainwash a person to do simple things (like feel ill when certain emotions well up-as per clockwork orange) through conditioning. To have utter control is veering into a huge stretch, especially if the cause is a virus. A thing that merely causes your body to deteriorate.

I mean this kind of idea is going into the realms of psychics and alchemists.

What I want to know is what exactly Matt wants. Because working with existing theories you can occassionally come up with great ideas for fiction. However if you tie the noose too tightly you'll end up with very meh ideas.

Where does the line start and end?

Madcat87
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: The line between Matt's science fiction and pseudo-science

Post by Madcat87 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 am

Mind control in the animal kingdom isn't a new concept.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19384_th ... ol_p2.html

Granted this was only on insects and minor behaviour control but we are talking about a sci-fi setting here so it shouldn't be much of a leap.

painterofpaint
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by painterofpaint » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 am

yeah mind control is there but as you can see the monst control aspect of the tyranids is just based of insects, one queen who commands the others :P
English isn't my mother language.
3000+ points of Chaos Space Marines.
Impurity shall be our armour, Hate shall be our weapon, Immortality shall be our reward!

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:09 am

Get where you're coming from, but in the name of sci-fi, it doesn't really matter.

The idea, from my understanding, is grounding the game world within the limitations of science and technology to a believable degree. Room is left open for the more obscure science and tech of the sci-fi genre. Just because something seems implausible by today's standards, doesn't mean in the future these ideas or techs aren't.

By basing the early part of the game history in real world advancement and technology, Matthew is creating a more plausible universe for his game. The more obscure stuff seems to take place in the current time line of the game, which is quite a way from now. If we limited ourselves in the creative process, the stories would end up being dull.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:37 am

sonofkitrinos wrote:By basing the early part of the game history in real world advancement and technology, Matthew is creating a more plausible universe for his game. The more obscure stuff seems to take place in the current time line of the game, which is quite a way from now. If we limited ourselves in the creative process, the stories would end up being dull.
Yeah, I think this is it. He is trying to use current science as inspiration, not a limitation. Obviously with every decision he makes in his projections into the future, the results are less probably and more fantastic. Specifically with some of the biology you gotta give him some latitude. I mean, saying that a bio-engineered alien virus created by alien invaders is "unrealistic" is kind of ignoring other parts of that scenario that are also a bit unlikely =p.

Hard Sci-Fi is an ideal, one that I think Matt is motivated by, but not married to. Overall I like how the setting is shaping up but its going to be hard to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:14 am

I think actually Matt has gone away from the idea of virus "controlling minds", if he ever was a fan of that to begin with (I'm not sure he was?). The concepts I've heard him mention recently are a lot more science-solid, IMO. The telepathy stuff isn't mind control, anyway, and the animal faction is more just about genetically modified organisms made obedient by careful design, not much different from what we did with dogs out of wolves.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 am

wow, i never actually heard that the virus was going to exert mind-control until now. i was quite sure it made reproduction difficult, and caused misshaped baby's. and further, people would just die a lot? as for the animals, I don't think they were affected by the virus at all, right? it was meant to kill people specifically
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

CeresBane
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by CeresBane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm

slaughtergames wrote:wow, i never actually heard that the virus was going to exert mind-control until now. i was quite sure it made reproduction difficult, and caused misshaped baby's. and further, people would just die a lot? as for the animals, I don't think they were affected by the virus at all, right? it was meant to kill people specifically
look at Matt's notes. the ideas are mentioned there when he talks about the animals.