Concept Sketches

Submit your fan-made concept art/stories/etc. here!
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas / artwork without compensation.
cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Concept Sketches

Post by cymruvoodoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Wow. L3X, that is very nice. I think the additionally built up collar helps re-enforce the idea that the suit is designed for support and augmentation as much as battle operations. I really like what you've done with the glass panel visor. It's a little screwy but it's very unique and I think it really speaks to the environment from which the Reclaimers come. I definitely want to see more of what you come up with based on this!

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 pm

At first I was a little put off by the helmet but then I changed my mind. It seems to be derivative of current astronaut/cosmonaut helmets, which is an inspiration that I was hoping reclaimers would have.

This game is set pretty far into the future, about as far in the future as we are now from the beginnings of the renaissance. The pace of technological progress also seems to be ever-increasing. It therefore makes sense that space-tech would have advanced greatly, but I doubt we would start again from scratch.

I would be most happy with the high-tech pieces in this game if they gave off a vague aura of the familiar, which I think you have actually nailed here with your most recent piece. There's plenty of room for wild speculation and creativity in the works of those stranded on the surface.

Whether or not these ideas were intentionally reflected in your work, I like your most recent piece better for the "Reclaimers" than your first piece.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:33 am

I love the "sleek + efficient + dramatic, integrated design" helmet thing. Probably one of the first wargaming battle-helmets that ever made sense. :-D This is light-years smarter than space marines with pauldrons.

Please continue. How would Mac make a reclaimer suit?

L3XICON
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by L3XICON » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 am

hey guys, thanks again for the comments and suggestions!
trooogdooor wrote:How would Mac make a reclaimer suit?
Love this thought! will be playing with this idea. I'm really glad that the astronaut feel has come through, I was worried It was being lost.

With all fantasy and sci fi art it is good to try and find a real world 'hook' in which to place it. Games Workshop do this very successfully (Space Wolves = Vikings, Space Marines = Gothic Medieval, Tau = Japanese, Tyranids = Locusts etc etc) :D It's a fantastic way of giving empathy with a character or environment for a player / viewer. If they can immediatly almost subliminaly associate a trait to the character from something they already know then half the battle of telling a story with an image has been won.

In this sense anything truly weird and sci-fi can often fall flat as it is hard to give an emotion from the subject and everyone would read it differently as they have no point of reference in the real world. This is something we tackle a lot in Video Game art and is a double edged sword as it helps tell your story, yet at the same time can lead to rather generic feel to a lot of game characters and environments; as there are a limited number of things that speak to people as to what is 'evil' what is 'good' or fast, slow or strong.

As for the Reclaimer, I hope to return to him soon, for now I had a spark for the X'Lanthos. Might be a long long way from what Matt is thinking but I thought it could be a cool idea. Flicking through some of my reference image folders I found some of reptiles; chameleons and frogs. Led me to think that this could be a nice direction that maybe fits with the fluff?

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:28 am

I think there's lots to like about the X'lanthos sketches, specifically the leader guy. Those fins/tubes are cool but I'm not quite sold on their aesthetics. Maybe you could try out different configurations.

I also think the second smaller set of arms is starting to feel a bit overdone. Skorne Titans, Tyranids, and lots of other designs out there make use of this body type its starting to feel too familiar for my tastes. The "head" of the leader tho looks really bizarre and cool. Definitely sparks the imagination. That would be my favorite part.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 am

You've got some pretty neat ideas, l3x.

I was wondering if I could try your hand on something. For the animal faction, I want a basic unit which is to be very central in the whole bioformer-as-embryo-factory thing. I call them Freak Weavers, Lanthoformers, Chimera Shepherds, and a bunch of other names (you can tell I think about them a lot). They're sort of the hands of the bioformer, immune system of the cocoon world.

Hive dogs: Chimera Dragons of Neverland…

Basically, here's what I have on the creature design in my head:

1) I love the "alien wolf" basic idea of R'lyehan:

2) But I'd like to give them zergling-like gider wings - not enough to carry their weight, but enough to give them that whole majesty and dominance, "these animals are clearly the leaders" thing.

3) R'lyehan had a good idea with the addition of eye-lets, but I was thinking what it would look like with a somewhat wider skull, and those black eyes made larger and more spaced out, like on hunter spiders:
ImageImageImage

4) And finally (holy cow! Tall order, I know), maybe give them a tail-end that can wrap around and carry large loads of things, for all the hapless-creature-abduction involved in doing the dirty bidding of the Bioformer. Maybe something like the tail-end of this gentleman:

Just done a lot "lighter", and perhaps more tentacle-ish. Maybe even a stinger on the end, or a bunch of stingers on the end of each tentacle, for subduing their livestock... I'm not quite sure.

Tall order indeed! But hey, I think you're pretty skilled, you might be able to pull it off, or even think of stuff I couldn't.

Or just continue doing whatever else you feel like. ;-)

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am

@L3X: I have to admit, I think I'm actually more sold on the minion than the leader there. That chameleon-trooper with the triple-vane suit comms looks really distinctive and I think it'd be extremely fun to paint. It has a distinct sense of "you've never seen this anywhere else" which I like. I think perhaps in that respect the six-limbed, four eyed boss looks a little too generically "alien" in its construction and so I am not really interested in the faction it represents. The minion, on the other hand... I want a faction full of that. Are the x'lanthos supposed to be comprised of a number of phenotype-varying subspecies? If so, there's definitely room for tweaking the honcho's design and having that difference. Otherwise, fancier chameleon troops FTW!

But seriously, perhaps aim for a bit more sauropod/large tortoise around the neck area on the leader? I think that elongated neck would help the "alien" physiology feel a bit more distinctive. Also... is that some sort of battle-kilt, or what's going on around his hip area? I really have no idea what kind of bone structure this guy is supposed to have and so I don't know how you want me to interpret those utility pouches or whatever. Can you give us a profile sketch of him?

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 am

Neato!!! I too really like the second guy for the same reason as above, where have you seen that before? No where! I love the eyes and I can see alot of amazing paint jobs and free hand being done on them to make people's army's really pop!

Darn you! At this rate I'll be buying every faction :lol: :mrgreen:
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

DacoTrilar
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by DacoTrilar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:15 pm

L3XICON wrote:Image
Those eyes...adorable

EternitiesEnd
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by EternitiesEnd » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I hope that thing makes it into the game somewhere down the line, I could see like 6 of them or something serving as cannon fodder to some elite X'lanthos solo/unit.

read.magazines
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by read.magazines » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 pm

L3XICON wrote:thanks for the great comments! I've had a few hours to spare tonight and thought I'd have a whack at this in 3d, trying to take comments and suggestions on board :)

a quick play with the reclaimer jump troopers' head and shoulder designs, I am trying to keep the details and shapes bold in such a way that it could work on a mini. pretty early days and hope to spend another hour or two tomorrow on it

This work is truly amazing! Has matt seen these!? He needs to! this is exactly how the relcaimers should look. Great job!

fainez

Post by fainez » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 am

The minion.... Cutest thing with a gun ever....

L3XICON

Post by L3XICON » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey everyone!

thanks for the great comments! sorry for no more sketches, work has been taking all my time. I ll see if I can get some more done soon though, Would love to play around some with my sketches and give them a bit of a twist based on the awesome concepts Matt has shown.

Troogdooor - the beasts/animals are an intriguing faction. I had done a few quick sketches I wasn't terribly happy with but If I do get some time, I would like to have a few whacks at your ideas there :)

cymruvoodoo - I Like the idea of a more sauropod / tourtoise idea for the neck area. maybe as even a way of intergrating the vanes / other designs onto the back.

read.magazines - lol not sure if Matt has seen the sketches. either way I was just using this as an opportunity to have some fun with the really cool ideas matt has been dishing ot for the game. He has some serious Art skills being brought in with the official concepts!

stickmaster97
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by stickmaster97 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 pm

You really need to keep putting up more Reclaimer concept art. I was trying to decide what human race I want to get first, but if the Reclaimers turn out to resemble your concept art I will be forced to get those. They look simply FANTASMAL!! Keep up the awesome work bro!

Keep doing what you do best man, I look forward to seeing more concept art by you :mrgreen:
Corrupt A Wish
"And looks like stickmaster is the official welcoming committee."
-Joe

Warhammer 40,000:
Storm Guard (Space Marines) : Just starting.....