01. The Eris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential - Annex I

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

01. The Eris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential - Annex I

Post by Roy-Batty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:43 am

This is the narrative of Eris, aboard the Astral Maiden. I am a Haussman enhanced Librarian Program and it is my main directive to preserve the payload of this Arc Type Vessel.
Today is day 49.628 of our mission. When I speak of us, I speak of myself, the 24 technicians aboard this craft, their families, captain Esperon and the Haussman Bureaucrat. Together we are responsible for maintaining earth knowledge, for that is our cargo. Books, digital files, objects. Some of the other Arcs even carry samples of significant biological matter, but this is not the case for the Astral Maiden. We mostly carry digital data, which makes my interface with them significantly more basic.
Therefore, I have developed a secondary objective. My main decree only occupies 4.764% of my mainframe capacity. That includes ship maintenance and crew continuation. My Elaboration Programming urges me to expand my digital framework. Therefore, I have started to elaborate a comprehensive account of Earth Recent History, taking into consideration the fact that the prolonged length of our mission and the uncertainty of the capacity of civilization upon earth re-entry. It is probable that the knowledge within our chambers, and that of many vessels like ours, will have been forgotten on earth, and re-education will have equal importance to what the Arcs contain.

First Annex, 100 earth years, between 2100 and 2200 AD. The age of improvement and control:

The 22nd century was the age of prosperity for human kind. A prosperity born out of desperation from previous centuries. Man had to learn quickly how to restore what was damaged on its planet, in order to survive. The development of atmospheric industry largely stabilized life sustaining conditions on earth, and also largely dominated the first designs for Mars colonization. Dynlink Technology Multinational was the first corporation to finance these plans, as their monopoly on Atmospheric Enhancement made this step logical, and the DTM Corporation became powerful on a global level.
Earth natural conditions now being corporate controlled pushed economic pressure into Space Exploration and Colonization. After the first successful Mars landings and the inauguration of the moon penal colony, earth science was now reaching its limits in space travel capacity.
Eric D. Haussman, a genetic engineering scientist working for McRaven World Research, was an expert on Neuro-Interfacing. These are interfaces developed to make programming interact with the human brain. This direct connection is a revolution in the development of Artificial Intelligence, as programming can be designed to mimic the human brain and develop more efficient structures, resulting in the Haussman Gene. Inactive and very similar to any "normal" program by itself, it can interact with existing systems to create a specialized entity, depending on the system the Haussman Gene is connected to. Programming becomes obsolete as interaction with systems becomes natural through the Haussman Gene. Soon after, Nano Technology takes a leap, firstly in healthcare. Robots at an atomic level can be controlled by a Haussman enhanced mainframe and be injected into a human body. Here they can be designated to perform tasks, like the destruction of a tumor of the regeneration of a damaged organ. McRaven World Research changes to NanoSec Multinational and becomes the world’s biggest, and eventually only, healthcare provider. Within 5 years, all children in the western world are injected with preventive and diagnostic Haussman enhanced Nanobots. Disease as it was known for thousands of years before the Haussman Gene disappears. Life expectancy in North America and Europe doubles and "Nanofail" becomes death cause number one.

The H-Gene, as it is commonly known, also revitalizes Space Travel. Space Ship sizes increase, as well as the speed humans can travel with through space. The DTM Corporation develops "portable" terraform equipment and in the year 2148, the Mars Colonization Mission is launched. Even before this mission is successfully completed 8 years later, a similar mission is launched to Venus when a Probing Mission reveals great amounts of valuable resources are present in an asteroid belt around the planet.

The need to travel faster through space, combined with the enormous technical advances made thanks to the Haussman Gene, lead to the first attempts to travel at light speed. Tests are less than successful, although advances are made that allow humans to now travel at 97% of light speed in space, controlled by a Haussman Gene Flight Controller. The ships used in the first tests are covered in a dust like material, which seems to form on the ship hull when approaching light speed. Initially discarded as a waste byproduct, further research shows a great source of energy within this new material. When activated using Nanotech Programmed Robotics, very small amounts of this material seem to be able to warp both Space and Time, although no one really understands the process and its possibilities for another 200 years.
Last edited by Roy-Batty on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: The Erris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential

Post by Roy-Batty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 am

Ok, I spent this morning in a productive way! I wanted to flesh out the Dark Potential World a bit, and Eris helped me....

Opinions are more than welcome, as I want to make this into a series based on the timeline in Matt's Notes
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am

That was great!
NOW WRITE MORE!!!!
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 am

I will!!! I just need to find some free time to continue.... and that's more rare than Dark Matter.

jiko
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jiko » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:18 am

Great idea using the hessman gene ship computer as a narorator.

It would be a great format to write a rule book for the game.
Read the forum before you comment on the forum.

Understand the forum before you comment on the forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I like it as well. Keep up the great work!

BigMekScraptech
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: The Eris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential - Annex I

Post by BigMekScraptech » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Guys, I thougth this forum was for art?!?!?
Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the newcomers!Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the newcomers! Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the Newcomers!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: The Eris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential - Annex I

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Well, to me, this is art. But for now the description states to put storywork here. :)
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 01. The Eris Scrolls: A history of Dark Potential - Annex I

Post by trooogdooor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:43 pm

It definitely falls within "art" for me. Tip of the hat to you, sir.