Which Scrapling Design Do You Like The Most?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.

Which Scrapling Concept Do You Like The Most?

A
15%
B
13%
C
6%
D
51%
E
15%

Total votes: 171

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Which Scrapling Design Do You Like The Most?

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Which Scrapling design do you like the most?

The Scrapling will be the basic Salvager unit that does most of the initial leg work of finding technology and scrap. It can cut off small amounts to bring back as samples, and then the larger machinery comes in and does the heavy duty work.

Make sure you vote and leave a reply.

Click this image to see a larger version:

Atzunew
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Which Scrapling Design Do You Like The Most?

Post by Atzunew » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Why not all? :twisted:

All are very nice concepts, was quite hard to vote for one.

~Atzunew

orkybenji
Silver Vault Member

Post by orkybenji » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:14 pm

E is best. D looks too much like necron stuff. A is cool but looks like a unit that already exists in Infinity.

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 pm

i think that D would look much better without the two small front pincer like things and with the legs and underbelly claw grabber thing from E

but if your not looking to mix designs, D is my favourite

Vexxus
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Vexxus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I think B and E are the strongest contenders. They both have a solid compact feel, and are more believably produced in large quantities. More complex models would be too valuable to produce (and sacrifice) in any significant numbers.

B edges out E for me because of the incorporation of yellow into the theme (construction vibe) as well as better claw arm placement. I also prever the "feet" on choice B, as they extend past the joint and look as if they could fold in neatly when the bot was in standby or recharge mode.

By contrast A C and D look too complex, and less compact and functional.

Evil666
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Evil666 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:18 pm

i have to say e, as, for something with ling on the end of its name, all of the other concepts look just too bulky, and as if they were huge, where as e seems just a bit more fragile and like it would be small(ish)

EpickBeardMan

Post by EpickBeardMan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Being a Mechanical Engineer, I appreciate the honest appearance of C. That's how a REAL machine would look.

D looks a bit Necron-y, but not overly so. Insects are basically natures robots, so mimicking their forms of mobility and limb funtionality is a pretty classic approach. (exoskeletons make motions muscles can achieve MUCH harder)

B and E are similar... and although I like the compactness in represnting the basic Scrapling, they're a bit clumsy. No robot would self-design like that... although I guess who really knows. lol

I officially voted D.
"All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time." - Trazyn doing impersonations

RobertTheWise

Post by RobertTheWise » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:26 pm

I voted C. Here is the reason why:
A: Too bulky. I think, it doesn't fit that good with the swarmy feel of the scraplings.
B: Too tall (relatively to his width). Seems a bit unstable. Would fit a nice clean lab better than a post apocalyptic scrapyard.
D: Too fancy, too clean, too even back armour. Doesn't look makeshift ennough fot the scraplings.
E: Mixture of B and D's problems.

I think, C looks the most irregular and makeshift, which would in my oppinion fit with the scraplings. D has much more spidery look but C has ennough of it, too maintain this part of the faction while also incorporating the makeshift aspect of the faction.

Just my thoughts.

kroxx
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by kroxx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm

I like D the most, the design of it makes it look like it could do the most efficient scavenging, the more skinny but upright ones just doesn't make sense to me, it looks like they would have trouble moving over/under things.
Eldar: 3000 Points (40% painted)
Chaos Daemons 40k: 4500 Points (90% painted)
Battle Report Blog: http://chaosbound40k.blogspot.ca/ and painting blog http://www.sarkastik40k.blogspot.ca/ both updated by Sarkastik and I.

Kiryurules

Post by Kiryurules » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm

My vote goes to D. I greatly appreciate the insectoid look to it, while the bulky design and low center of gravity would make sense for a machine created to advance through terrain and debris.
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are even stupider than that."
-George Carlin.

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Very tough to pick a favorite from this list. They've all got some very good points. I think if my arm were twisted I'd say:

1 - E
2 - A
3 - C
4 - D
5 - B

If we have to take the designs as they come, E looks a little more unique than A, which does look very much like Infinity. Also, A looks more like a full-on combat design whereas E looks more like a civilian or utility design. C is solidly in the middle - it's unique, it's very much suited for the task, and I wouldn't mind having it win but on a purely aesthetic level I prefer E and A. D looks very military, despite being very practically shaped. The leg-to-body ratio is wrong for the job it will have to do, is all. B I just don't like. It's very tall, the arm doesn't look like it reaches to the ground unless the chassis "kneels" and the overall design looks unstable.

RecklessFire
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by RecklessFire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

(A) looks a lot bigger than something that would be titled "scrapling", rather it looks like it would be on a 40mm base or larger and would knock the crap out of you in close combat

(D) is perfect

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 pm

A too large
B too large
C too archaic for the time period
D too necron
E looks like B but is the perfect size for a small scrapling
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

lean-v
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by lean-v » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm

I love E's look, but it just seems a little too top-heavy. Without a lower center of gravity, one round to its top and it topples over.

My second favorite is D, but it seems a little too armored and plated for a scouting/collecting role. Obviously sparse and segmented armor is counter-productive for it to stay alive, but it also might give it a better appearance and character to its role.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

scaryscarymushroom

Post by scaryscarymushroom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 pm

For me, it's a 3-way split between a, c, and d.

I like that A looks sort of like a lumbering animal. It's hard to see much detail in the concept art for it, though.

I love C. It looks very realistic and I think it would suit Dark Potential well. It stands in pretty heavy contrast with most sci-fi designs from other games, which is both good and bad.

D is a solid design. I like it, but I think it is a little too necron-y in it's current rendition. I'd love to see it with some rougher edges. And maybe it would look better if the stance were more narrow.

In the end I voted D, as I think it has the most... potential. But I'd still like the design to go through a second draft and some slight revision.