Reiterate of Pop-Culture Thread

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Stranger677
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Reiterate of Pop-Culture Thread

Post by Stranger677 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Awhile ago, back in the summer when Dark Potential was just beginning, someone had a thread about Pop-Culture, but it never really went anywhere. Really I'm just here to repeat what little was said now that Dark Potential has taken off, just to see if it goes anywhere.

I think it would be cool if there was some culture being added to the Dark Potential universe. Fake-brands, such as Fallout's "Nuke-Cola", more art I suppose, common citizen styles, music, etcetera.

Thoughts?
"I murdered thousands in the name of the Emperor and he gave me nothing but his damning silence. Now his lapdogs yap for every life I take while the Gods promise me the galaxy"

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Reiterate of Pop-Culture Thread

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm

I agree.

I think these things will naturally find their way in as various artists design backdrops, music, and other things for the game.

However, I would not object to people coming up with ideas here.

khsrio621
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by khsrio621 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Images spring to mind of a band of musicians, traveling the wilderness, playing for whoever or whatever will listen to them. Braving storm and battle to spread their art.
Actually sounds kinda silly if I think about it. Silly but awesome. Combat rockers.

Maxwell
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Maxwell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 pm

If your looking for music give these guys a look, they're very talented and go for steampunk/apopcalyptoic vibes in their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnUD_4Bxma8
Armies:
Tau | 207pt |

Stranger677
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Stranger677 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Well I guess the music is going to have to capture the feel that Dark Potential is going for. You know like, is it supposed to sound sad? Upbeat? Orchestral? Etc. I guess the question to start with is what kind of music do people want to reflect the emotion of Dark Potential.
"I murdered thousands in the name of the Emperor and he gave me nothing but his damning silence. Now his lapdogs yap for every life I take while the Gods promise me the galaxy"

khsrio621
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by khsrio621 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 pm

I would imagine something reminiscent of something one would hear in an old western. Just a few instruments. I think it would lend a lot to a feeling of emptiness in the world (since most people are dead) but the genre also offers excellent support for action sequences and dramatic tension.

Another plus of this type of music is that it would be feasible for people in-universe to be playing this kind of music. All it takes is two or three people with small portable instruments and the corporation folks aren't quite so bored for a night.

Also, blues and folk music in general.

Just my take on it. I'm not sure quite how large or formal Matt wants factions to be, and this would work best if small groups of wanderers are more common than proper military patrols and forces.

lean-v
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by lean-v » Tue May 01, 2012 5:45 am

I'm really liking the light blues and folk music ideas. Starting to remind me of Firefly with the futuristic/western feel to it.

And that can never be a bad thing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

khsrio621
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by khsrio621 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:49 am

However, there are some factions that would have a both different musical traditions and different means by which to make music. I'm thinking of the Reclaimers and X'lanthos here.
I could see the Reclaimers having access to rudimentary electronic music; it would be simple for someone to program some basic synthesized instruments and have it play from their suit's speaker systems.
From what I see so far of Matt's directions with the X'lanthos, much of their technology seems to grown using self-replicating non-organic materials. That combined with their heavy genetic engineering, gives me some ideas. If they are a musically inclined race at all, and if they even have a sense of hearing (i don't actually know if they do), some more artistic X'lanthos might have opted to form hollows in their armor or body that could be used as any number of wind instruments.
Of course, as awesome as a X'lanthos bagpipe brigade would be, it's probably a bit silly for this universe. All things in moderation.

Stranger677
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Stranger677 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm

I agree that it would be just a little far-fetched for this universe.

However, I like where the ideas are going. The idea that factions like the Bandits, or even the Corporation would have rudimentary instruments makes a lot of sense because after all everything is pretty much destroyed. It would be outstanding if someone posted a musical piece on here to better represent the culture of the factions. I think it would add some flavor.

What about like a theme? Would that be possible? Something along the lines of a depressing song I would imagine.

khsrio621
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by khsrio621 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 pm

You mean like an overarching musical motif kind of thing? Like halo has it's thing, and James bond has it's thing, which are re-iterated in various styles depending on situation? Unfortunately I have little to no musical talent, and where would Matt even use music at this point? I suppose he could have the person who made the background music for the batreps give it a try.

Arnil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Arnil » Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 am

From what i gather from the music industry music is homognizeing. Just recently a new form of music came out...it is a combination of techno and rap and pop all mixed together. Screamo and techno commonly mix. However being several hundred years in the future the music we have now would be concidered "Classical" and "Retro" would be the stuff we haveing seen yet or this new age stuff. SO "Modern" music could sound like anything! Then take the fact its been a little while so we get inconsistancies. Like Useing an acoustic guitar to play classics like Lady Gaga XD.

That all said as a firefly fan a western musical feel sounds great! Along with Techno perhaps for the High Sci-Fi Future fictional feel?

OTher things would again be environmental. Advertisements would be EVERYWHERE and pervasive in the culture of tomorrow more so than now. Holoboards lineing the streets, Tattoos trends, MAybe Hair that grows to show pictures on it. I imagine a band of Corp soldiers stalking through some old ruins and suddenly a horrible bloated red creature rushes out at then and they all open fire. Shattered glass goes everywhere and all the see is the remnants of a holoboard and all they hear is the creatures dying cry...."OHHHHH YEAH!!!!"

khsrio621
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by khsrio621 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 am

That last part would be awesome to see in a short story.

But yeah, another thing is that it would be difficult to predict where instrument technology would go. For all we know we could see miniaturization and cost-decreases for things such as the Theramin and Eigenharp. So those might be easier to find than simple acoustic instruments. On the other hand, I don't know how difficult it would be to find electricity.

Also, as much as I would love a Firefly type musical feel, I think if would feel too dry and desert-ish for the setting. From what we've seen of the concept art, DP is a rather verdant setting. As such, I might shift focus to drawing upon folk music from east or north Europe, as well as from the American south/southeast and northeast. Of course, since this'll be happening all over earth there's no reason to limit it to just these regions, but that's just what I've seen so far.

Arnil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Arnil » Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Cajun style dark energy!