It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.

Post subject: virus concept
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

1. im not sure if we fleshed out the virus or not, if we have could a mod just lock this?
2. i had this idea for the animal faction, but it fit in to the human fluff a bit

what if the virus didnt cause humans to be sterile, but to produce offspring that were incapable of survival. think that guy from 300 but worse (not that it would always be this bad, but the chances for this to happen would greatly increase). this would cause the population to drop in a short time when combined with the "upgraded" animals as well as x'lanthos, scavengers, "bandits" etc. if this virus were to develop on a colony that was far from earth, it has the potential to infect up to hundreds of worlds before being discovered, especially if it only causes mutations in babies. those mutations would be blamed on things like the planets atmosphere, foods, water, radiation or just chance.

viruses work by infecting your cells, using your cells to replicate themselves. during this replication, it is not uncommon for DNA to be shared. some of this DNA could be benificial to animals, but at the same time kill humans. for example if a gene coding for a protein that begins skeletal growth begins too early, the baby could be a stillbirth, but an animal could now have stronger bones, and after hundreds of years like this the animals could gain "armor" due to a fused ribcage or something similar to that. if this virus is an "alien species" (TECHNICALLY viruses are not living things) then it could have picked up DNA from hundreds of planets before it got to earth, giving advanced "weaponry" to the animals.

i also said that if the virus allowed access to DP powers (we could also have other ways of corse, for reclaimers, scavengers etc), the animals with this access would be able to communicate by basic manipulation of eletrical signals within another brain. probably not a "so jeff, i saw you had human last night for dinner, did you think it tasted a little salty?" but something like "attack" "move" and the likes. this, combined with other DP powers would make these animals the "alphas"

after figuring out that this virus is causing the problems, the corporation could invent some sort of a screening process whenever people came back to the main city, and if you were infected you were "asked" to leave, giving raise to the bandits.

Post subject: Re: virus concept
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

When I thought of the virus I always assumed that it would attack the X chromosome to prevent people from reproducing.

using this site: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/chromosome/X/show/Genes I managed to find out what all the genes on the X chromosome do(that's 80 genes I read through). I am not a geneticist but here are some ideas of what the virus could target. Note these are all on the X chromosome.

Vision: genes RS1, RPGR, RP2, NYX, OPN1MW, OPN1LW, FROMD7, CACNA1F

Blood cells: genes ABCB7, ALAS2, F8, F9, GATA1, WAS, XK

Energy Levels: genes TAZ, PKG1, G6PD, HSD17B10, IDS, TIMM8A

plus many other ones. I am not going to list them all but a good species that wants to kill everything would target development (on it), muscles (on it), or regulator genes (on it). A fun one would be to cancel out XIAP which prevents apoptosis (cell death).

All of the functions I've mentioned are on the X chromosome. This would help explain why so few people survived as only those with the largest genetic modification would not be greatly affected. If the virus shuts down lets say F8, F9, TAZ, XIAP, and RS1 only those who had modification to their coagulation factors, lipid production, old age, and retinas would be saved. Basically in modern terms, hemophiliac fat old people with bad eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Personally I got a simpler idea from the original vid explination of the virus...that it just instantly killed people...Kinda like nerve gassing the whole planet....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I missed that video. I thought it was never explained.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Well he didn't..he first mentioned the virus attack he said something to the effect of, "It won't turn people into to zombies or anything it will just kill them or somthing." So it was more a point against zombies than for this kind of virus. I just kinda attached to this idea as my favorite. And i think it makes sence since Dark Potential has only 1 percent of people left after 100 years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

idk, 100 years is a pretty long time with such constant threats against you. i suspect that you could easily fit four reproductive cycles in there and only a small handfull of that 1% would actually be 100, even with the advances in science they would have at the time of the war.
but then again, it could outright kill everyone, always good to have options though :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Yeah i think that is one of the best things about all this is no matter what we all like or don't like matt will take what fits his setting the best to impliment in his game. For all we know he has the virus already figured out lolz but we can still debate and share ideas as we see fit inorder to maybe come up with a better idea!