Serious Blow to Dark Matter Theories?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
elementHTTP
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by elementHTTP » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 am

The most accurate study so far of the motions of stars in the Milky Way has found no evidence for dark matter in a large volume around the Sun. According to widely accepted theories, the solar neighbourhood was expected to be filled with dark matter, a mysterious invisible substance that can only be detected indirectly by the gravitational force it exerts. But a new study by a team of astronomers in Chile has found that these theories just do not fit the observational facts. This may mean that attempts to directly detect dark matter particles on Earth are unlikely to be successful.
link to full article
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1217/

science paper
II. A lack of dark matter in the solar neighborhood
http://www.eso.org/public/archives/rele ... so1217.pdf

i like to hear others opinion

Aiyen
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Serious Blow to Dark Matter Theories?

Post by Aiyen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:58 am

It is more or less business as usual sadly. It is also the part of the reason for skepticism to the whole idea to begin with.

The main observational facts come when you look at very large structures, and then it "vanishes" when you get down to look at individual stars. This is also what have prompted many people to propose that it is not really because of some mystery substance or particle etc. but rather that for some strange reason gravity works a little bit differently at larger scales then it does at smaller.

However so far most of these theories have not been able create a testable hypothesis for when you go from "small" to "large" scale. In truth it is just a matter of time and of accumulating more and more observations... That or hope the particle physicists figure out some new physics beyond the standard model that would alter things.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:46 am

I'm not too concerned about that. The way we're working with it the Solar System doesn't have to have a huge amount of dark matter.

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by ArqArturo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

I don't know if you're sen this, but I thought of the project when I saw it the first time.

PHD Comics TRUE TALES on DARK MATTERS.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Phaedros
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Phaedros » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 pm

@ArqArturo: That video was awesome, and really says it all, we know some things, but we still truly know nothing. =)
Warning! I have posted on your thread!
I'm not a Troll, I'm just lacking in the tact department, also, I tend to wield the English language like a really big sledgehammer. No offense is usually intended.

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by sonofkitrinos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Good thing this is still a fictional setting ;)

But in truth, there is so much in this universe that we hardly even know. For instance, just late 2011, they were able to prove that bacteria could survive and thrive in atmospheric conditions that we thought could not sustain life of any sort - bacterial, human or otherwise. I cite this as an example that despite all we think we know of the universe, and of science, we truly have only scratched the surface. Not to mention how many ancient, antiqueted or accepted theories are being proven to have been wrong, or faulty in their views?

So as of now this is what they say about Dark Matter, but in 10...15...200 years from now, that thought pattern could change on a dime. In the mean time, lets enjoy the theories of Dark Matter and build on that for the intents of fiction.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Tue May 01, 2012 1:45 am

Ultimately, IMHO it's probable that Dark Matter will be discredited as a theory, as the predictions of the theory continue to fail. This may even happen in the early years of the game.

"Dark Matter" is a theory invented to explain away why the mathematics of the Big Bang do not work out in terms of time and acceleration. There is no good evidence that dark matter actually exists, though; it is just a useful construct to reconcile the current theories of General Relativity and gravity with the underlying prime assumption of a moment of supreme creation. Dark Matter is similar to epicycles, which were another imaginary construct invented to reconcile the observed motions of the planets with the concept of an Earth-centered universe, and whose predictions "surprisingly" failed to pan out. Constructs like the Higgs Boson and Dark Matter, like epicycles, will probably "surprisingly" continue to not pan out, until the basic theories they are invented to defend (the Big Bang) are overturned. The tradition of science.

But I also think that it's AOK to build a miniature wargame on epicycles. ^_^ This is just a game. It's also probable that catastrophic global warming will be looked at 10 years from now as a silly thing to use in our story, if the Earth continue to not catastrophically warm up. But that's also AOK. Feeding warm Earth + Dark Fusion into the "optimistic greenpocalypse" theme simply works with the scifi, and that's all it has to do.

Dirvan
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Dirvan » Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Well the whole idea of gravity is just an idea anyway.. When thy realised that the equations they had were hugely innacurate when dealing with galaxy sized masses they needed something to bridge the gap in the numbers... Where's with any other theory it would have been thrown out if it was so drastically wrong :L physics seems to be less about understanding exactly how things work and more about being able to predict them. Just my two cents. I don't think the fact that we can't find and dark matter IRL has any real effect on the game. There's all sorts of theories explaining how dark matter could have been expelled from salar systems and galaxies anyway so it's no big issue