Reclaimers or Corporation?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
lean-v
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Reclaimers or Corporation?

Post by lean-v » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm going with corporation.

My reasoning is that when people hear about Dark Potential and its post-apocalyptic characteristics, they will probably be expecting at least one faction that actually lives in the post-human environment. I think starting with the Reclaimers would only confuse newcomers who were expecting a more 'traditional' post-apocalyptic condition for the factions.

By picking corporation, you square off Humanity's post-apocalyptic children vs. the alien blight that is responsible for their very condition.

Not to mention that the corporation seems to be a tad more colorful than the Reclaimers at this point, and presentation is everything.

Also worth mentioning: after allowing DP to have a little gain in popularity and have more people familiar with the story/fluff, you allow the fan-base to get pumped with the thought of eventually fighting the X'lanthos with humanity at it's prime as the Reclaimers.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

Coreyllon
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Coreyllon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I prefer the Reclaimers.

elmersnutz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by elmersnutz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I voted for the Reclaimers and heres why.

Since the Corporation dosent have Dark energy weapons, we would have to wait until the third set of guys are made to use Dark energy weapons in the game. And who knows how long that will take.
Destroyer of Worlds

SobieFett
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by SobieFett » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I think its funny some people are saying the reclaimers need more cooking. They are both on the same level concept art wise. But the corporation doesn't even have a real name or background yet. I voted reclaimers. However, it would make sense for a later release as in the cavalry arrives to help the corporation. I just like the reclaimer look more.

destuctir
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by destuctir » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:15 pm

i vote reclaimers because i dont get the point of the corporation. but every other factions motivations are solid

animals-survival
X'lanthos-finish the fight
reclaimers-take back the earth
bandits-surivie
scavengers-continue the programs orders
corporation-hey we used to work together! fight with you?

i dont think so. why on earth do they fight together because they worked together it seems more like they would become bandits aswell.

in short i vote reclaimers because i dont think the corporation should be in the game

EDIT plus what elmersnutz said. the X'lanthos dont use dark matter stuff i think they just use like plasma right? and dark matter is the point of the game so we want the dark matter heavy faction

and just like games workshops assault on black reach and privateer presses battle box

they are the iconic races!

EpickBeardMan

Post by EpickBeardMan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 pm

X'lanthos are a MUST... glad that was established.

Thematically speaking, I think the most "basic" if you will conflict is alien vs. human, xeno vs. earthling, so the Corporation (which is having a TON of fan involvment and support) sets the best contrast to the X'lanthos.

Also... I kind of like how the Reclaimers have a bit more mystery to them. The more elite 3rd faction with the magick doohickies to BLOW YOUR MIND! lol
"All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time." - Trazyn doing impersonations

EpickBeardMan

Post by EpickBeardMan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

aka... I agree with THIS GUY!
lean-v wrote:I'm going with corporation.

My reasoning is that when people hear about Dark Potential and its post-apocalyptic characteristics, they will probably be expecting at least one faction that actually lives in the post-human environment. I think starting with the Reclaimers would only confuse newcomers who were expecting a more 'traditional' post-apocalyptic condition for the factions.

By picking corporation, you square off Humanity's post-apocalyptic children vs. the alien blight that is responsible for their very condition.

Not to mention that the corporation seems to be a tad more colorful than the Reclaimers at this point, and presentation is everything.

Also worth mentioning: after allowing DP to have a little gain in popularity and have more people familiar with the story/fluff, you allow the fan-base to get pumped with the thought of eventually fighting the X'lanthos with humanity at it's prime as the Reclaimers.
"All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time." - Trazyn doing impersonations

reddogcc

Post by reddogcc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:38 pm

miniwargaming wrote:We'll definitely be using the money to make more than 2 factions. This poll is for the first two starter sets.
Well, based on the voting so far you almost can't go wrong.

By the way, it has been very interesting watching this come together. I am rooting for you, Matt. Best of luck with it!

Chris

unxpekted22
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by unxpekted22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey matt haven't posted on the forums in a while but have commented on some of the youtube videos. Really happy for you and all the donations you have received for this project. That's so awesome.

Anyway, I voted for the corporation. I agree with many others that the reclaimers are more interesting to me, personally, but that the corporation would be the smarter of the two to go with for the start. The corporation to me still seems like the dark potential standard army, the common face of humanity in Earth's post apocalyptic future. And yes, seeing this rugged group of fighters using any weapon they can their hands on to fight back a high tech X'lanthos strike team is definitely the more diverse option. (40k starter set - space marines and orks)

bluedynamo
Silver Vault Member

Post by bluedynamo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:21 pm

The Reclaimers for sure. They just have this fantastic feel...makes me want to buy them! Although the one faction not voted in this time should be the third set made, no question! I would think that 3 factions could released in the first run(especially if we reach the 70 thousand goal), why not just do all three at once? I know....I know, bigger picture, be patient(not my strong suit..heh heh).

For the record, you guys are a class act and have my utter respect. I found you randomly while looking for 40k videos on youtube a few months back. Since then I hit your site on a ratio of 12/1 compared to any other site. Carry on gentlemen!!!

Xefa01
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Xefa01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm

I feel like I have to go with the Reclaimers, that's where my heart is.
"Science fiction writers foresee the inevitable, and although problems and catastrophes may be inevitable, solutions are not."

-Isaac Asimov

Kris Knives
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kris Knives » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Reclaimers seem like they would be a lot more visually interesting and they've always struck me as the most interesting faction here. Plus it might be good to get them out early since the probably make the best spring board for the fiction as they really don't know the current earth that well giving some strong POV character to experience the DP earth for the audience vs people who've grown up on earth and already know what it is like.

constrict

Post by constrict » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Really like the way the reclaimers concept are going but think the corporation are almost done in that sense, so the corporation for me.

Dartdon
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Dartdon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Corporation, based entirely on the idea that there should be a human race in the starter set so that people who like the idea of killing aliens can do so without being an alien themselves.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by AirborneHam » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Reclaimers, as they are the most logical enemy to the X'lanthos. Both remember the war and the natural adversaries should be the first two armies produced.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.