It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Should Animals have a Queen Mother?
Poll ended at Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:00 pm
Yes 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Alright you gitz, Old Warboss 'ere has thought of some new names for the animal faction, yea!

I have thought that each faction would have a few different possible names for them, however the main few I thought of are:

Beasts
Slayers
X'Lanthropods
Faunus (as in Fauna)
TerraSpawn
Gigabrutes
BioBattlers
NecroHowlers
MechaTitans
Flux Banshees
Dark Sphinxes

Alright, Gitz. Wadda ya think about dem names den?

Last edited by SheiTuIdea on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Well, right off the bat, I can tell you the four last names make absolutely no sense for the animal faction. For the other ones, nothing really that hasn't been suggested before.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 am 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

That said, we really do need to work on developing the animal faction.

Currently:
- we have no idea what these animals look like
- we have no idea what these animals have in the way of technology
- we have no idea what these animals have in the way of culture
- we have no idea the level and type of intelligence these animals possess
- we have no idea how these animals interact with earth species
- we have no idea how these animals interact with dark potential energy
- we have no idea what these animals are called
- we have no idea how these animals communicate

... you get the point.

I know I posted some ideas earlier on how I thought the animal faction should play in-game, but since seeing the type of technology and level of re-integration into a functional society that many people on this forum seem to think that we could grow back to in just a few generations after a near wipe-out of the human race, I no longer feel that swarms, packs, and clouds of altered earth-based life forms, lead by a handful of alien species, will be enough for the animal faction to represent a realistic threat to any of the other races.

So, one of two things has to happen:

1. People really need to scale back the access of other races to technology; keep in mind that this is not a society at its prime, fully geared up for war, and with their best men at the front lines, but rather small groups of survivors, still attempting to pull together after a cataclysm the likes of which has never been seen before by the human race.

Is it really realistic that, should the human race be nearly wiped out, a hundred years later we’re all once again armed with M16s, driving around in Leopard IIs? Probably not.

The same logic, and restraint, should be applied when developing equipment for factions like the X’lanthos, Reclaimers, and Corperation.

2. Failing this, animals need to get a lot stronger, a lot tougher, and a lot nastier. We could still probably get away with much of the plant life – strangling vines, toxic aromas – but the animals themselves will need to be completely re-worked. Bears, wolves, and birds will not work, no matter how genetically modified, evolved, etc. we make them.

A lot of people, then, will turn to weapons and bio-morphs. Granted, this would level the playing field, but what do we give up? Firstly, this is no longer a “natural” faction, it is purely alien, with guns, gear, and the rest, becoming none other than … X’lanthos. Secondly, we would be very much encroaching on Salvager territory as the “Tyranid” faction. Finally, we are imposing a human thought process on the animal kingdom – and we end up with what are essentially no more than cavemen with scales.
The armoured wolf might look pretty cool, but if anyone stops for a moment to think about it, the entire concept really just falls in on itself. This is supposed to be a relatively realistic game, and from what I’m reading, a thin plate of metal won’t be more than an additional load for the poor beast to carry around, because either way he’s a dead pup if anyone so much as looks at him funny.

So, what can we do to maintain a natural feel, recognizing that animals do and will have a very different thought process from our own in terms of defending their territory, while giving the animal faction a fighting chance against the big boy factions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

To be completely honest, I didn't think that the Animals would 'take over' from the Tyranids, but more the Orks.
You see, so far the general vibe of the animal race is a fast moving, very close-combat oriented swarm, with some shooting on the side.
The Orks are big, strong smash-your-face-with-anything-I-can-use-as-a-weapon brutes, which will come in reasonably large hordes. That is how I picture the animal faction, and that is based on

a) The other members of the forum
b) DP developer's diary
c) The other basic equivalences such as:

Corporation - IG
X'Lanthos - Chaos
Salvagers - 'Nids

Animals - ORKS!

Therefore, I thought of names that suggested a powerful, but also limited in some aspects race, such as Beasts, BioBattlers and TerraSpawn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

To be completely honest, I didn't think that the Animals would 'take over' from the Tyranids, but more the Orks.
You see, so far the general vibe of the animal race is a fast moving, very close-combat oriented swarm, with some shooting on the side.
The Orks are big, strong smash-your-face-with-anything-I-can-use-as-a-weapon brutes, which will come in reasonably large hordes.
I also picture that the Animals, in their masses, would be controlled by the few heroes, and will have an equivalent of the WAAAGH! That is how I picture the animal faction, and that is based on:

a) The other members of the forum
b) DP developer's diary
c) The other basic equivalences such as:

Corporation - IG
X'Lanthos - Chaos
Salvagers - 'Nids

Animals - ORKS!

Therefore, I thought of names that suggested a powerful, but also limited in some aspects race, such as Beasts, BioBattlers and TerraSpawn.

What are your thoughts on that?

I don't mean any offence, BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

The only thing I can think of that would level out the playing field for the technology would be to get in combat turn 2. That way the enemy doesn't have as much of a chance fire there weapons and kill everything with their advanced technology.

Ways we could go about that is to:
1. Have a higher movement speed than the average biped
2. Ignore moving through cover penalties. So you can always move your full movement through cover.

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:27 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I kinda like the idea of Animals having some sort of difficult terrain ignoring ability.

Something like: Terrain Agility (x), where X represents the number of inches of difficult terrain that unit can ignore, or pass through normally, in one turn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

There must be some way for Animals to gain an advantage...

:shock: IDEA :idea:

The animals have a special move that allows a four in six chance of survival / dodging against bullets fired at them. Allow me to elaborate.

During the opponents shooting, if a animal is being shot at by regular weapons (not templates) a special ability is activated. The player rolls a dice for each model in that squad. 3+ means that model survives, and gets to move 4 inches in any direction. 1 or 2 means that model dies instantly, no saves. Sure, it's give or take, but it at least gives the melee animals a chance against gun line armies.

If you think it should be more that 4 inches, tell me why and how much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Shei you have to understand that this game is meant to be played with abundant amount of terrain that limits shooting already. A smart Animals player will utilize cover and line of sight blockers to close in on the enemy. Although, a dodge mechanic may be kinda neat, but it should probably cost command points.

Anyways its all speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thats why I believed a move-through-cover ability would work well to counter the rifling. With the abundance of terrain, and the fact that animals can move through without penalty, a smart player could easily move animals from cover-to-cover, 1 turn moving to the very edge of cover, eh next darting across into the next, and so limiting the amount of effective shooting on them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 pm 

I like where you're going with this from a gameplay perspective, but I'm not so sure I'm seeing it from the fluff point of view. If you read through Matt's thread for example, the gravity guns/mines sound like they would completely destroy the animal faction. Lay down a couple of AoEs, then watch as the would-be ambushers simply float away, or get pinned instantly, no-longer being able to advance into close combat, where you do all the damage.

My understanding is that the animal faction is going to have very limited use of dark matter, and virtually no shooting, so presumably one potentialist could pin down the entire army (both in game and from a fluff perspective).

The only way I can see dark potential energy manipulation (at a concious, and therefor controllable level) is through the use of genetic modification, likely done by humans pre-virus. This leaves the gaping hole of why, seeing this was safe on animals, humans would not imbue themselves with these powers however, and so not need all this fancy gear to pull it off (though I can see the X'lanthos having some kind of genetic alterations to give them at least some control over dark matter).

Humanity imbuing animals with this kind of power right before themselves being decimated just seems like too much of a coincidence for my tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Maybe we could give animals an inbuilt resistance to Dark Matter weaponry? Due to the influence of the virus and introduction of alien species?

Just trying to come up with ways we could work the animals into a workable race - however i'm no good at writing sciencey fluff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 pm 

You mean like WHFantasy Dwarves?

That would definitely work from a gameplay perspective. If it could, in some way be explained scientifically (or at least not be too significant of a facepalm for any biologists/physicists reading through it), I would definitely be behind this idea.

Unfortunately, I don't even have a full highschool education in either of these fields, so perhaps fiddling with this idea might better be left to someone a little more qualified :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

first off, what about the name xenimalia (xenos and animalia, the scientific classification for animals, put together)? i think it sounds cool and it would certainly fit.

as for why, perhaps the animals absorb a virus that uses DP. if we look at plant cells you will see chloroplast, which allow plants to undergo photosynthesis. it is believed that millions of years ago, a bigger single celled organism, "ate" or absorbed the chloroplast, and they became one cell. a similar thing can be found in animals. we have a mitochondria, which more or less works as a powerplant. perhaps these animals gain a "mitochondria", when they were exposed to the virus for whatever reason most of the animals were able to incorporate it into themselves. because the virus is concerned with self preservation (as all organisms are at a primitive level) they automatically use energy found within their host to nullify or at least lessen the effects of DP on them.
we could go one step farther and say that the virus works in a similar manner to the microbe in The Andromeda Strain and say that it can communicate with others of its kind across small distances. if this were the case, we could explain the resistance to DP and their communication in one fell swoop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 pm 

The name, I'm not so sure about - we already have an "X" faction, and < Xeno > is already overused.
You're definitely thinking along the right lines though, just not < Xeno >.

As for the explanation for the dark potential energy resistance, I like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next