Dark Potential Corporation Renaming Contest

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Dark Potential Corporation Renaming Contest

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:26 pm

More details on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWosRxwqJiQ

Simple contest: help me come up with a new name and logo for the Corporation!

To enter, reply to this topic with:

1. A new name.
2. A simple logo (use Photobucket to host the image, and then link to it here, or better yet, use the [img][/img] BBCode to post it here.
3. A short 1-2 paragraph summary of what the company used to be before the War.

This contest will run until I find one that I like. The winner will receive a $200 shopping spree to MiniWarGaming, as well as every miniature we release in the first run.

If I only choose part of your entry you will receive a $100 shopping spree and the miniatures instead.

Have fun!

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Dark Potential Corporation Renaming Contest

Post by BewareOfTom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 pm

walmart

but seriously, I'll do something later :P
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! ;)

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm

miniwargaming wrote:Ding ding ding! We have a winner! ;)
IM HOLDING YOU TOO THAT!!

I cannot sense sarcasm also.... :P
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

lordofevilcookies
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by lordofevilcookies » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 pm

the nerwork
in the old world they were a company that was one of the biggest corparation out there they did nearly every thing nearly everywere and now the use there old
buidling and offices as a network to take the whole world this time
there logo is a sharp piramid with a star on top meaning that they are the top
http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s50 ... onlogo.png

WaRpEd17
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by WaRpEd17 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:03 pm

This is just a quick idea haven't really thought it out much but why not call it
Cooperation
basically from the videos I have seen it sounds like the "corporation" is a group of people that are not just from one area so the name cooperation would kind of represent the grouping up of all these people to fight together. You could use the same logo you already have from "corporation".
The background of the company could be that cooperation was an intergalactic sort of governing group that helped to deal with conflicts between all the people on the different inhabitable planets. And after the conflict occurs with all of the alien races coming and attacking they would reunite to form the new cooperation.

HamWallet
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HamWallet » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:09 pm

SAGE

Safe.Advanced.Genetic.Engineering

please use the web address below for my entry, the logo is just the arch and ball at the top without SAGE written in the middle.

thanky you From HamWallet

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/ ... incopy.jpg

destuctir
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by destuctir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 pm

tenebris materia

the logo can be a M but with a line connection the 2 tips and then another one comeing out to the left like a T is ontop of the first upwords line (when i say ontop i mean like someone put a T over an M on a 2d image not like a T sticking out the top)

i chose the name as it is dark matter in latin.

this company was the first to reach the ateroid belt and discover the dark matter particles. they handed them over to scientists and were about to abandon the meteor belt when the scientists found out hoiw much people would pay for them since the wide range of uses. since the company owned the belt by being the first ones there they achieved great sucess and earned millions becoming the largest comapny in history. to this day this company is responsible for 40% of the colonisation of the universe. as such after the virus attack there were so many wokring for them that almost half the survivers had a connection to them. many believe that since they worked with dark matter so much it was why so many survied but it was actually due to these people earning so much from the wealthy company they could afford black market gen operations meaning that the virus had less to no affect on them. the lower people like loaders didnt earn enough so didnt survive. thus all the more into the comapny people had the comapny suits and access to branded weaponary (explaining why they would all have own company suits and weaponary)

DavidDraper
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by DavidDraper » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Ok- here I go.

The corporation name: Full Reach (aka Freech)

Background: They were a gigantic monopoly networking/communications company whose hardware, software, and connection protocols became the standard for data transfer prior to the virus outbreak. They had sites and employees all over the world, and in orbit. They are kind of like a combination of Red Hat Lunix, Google, Apple, Facebook and Cicso. Their products could transfer massive amounts of data (voice, video, terabytes of storage, etc) approximately instantly into all kinds of different gear that were either made by them or had components made by them. Their stuff was everywhere and very easy to use out of the box, even for people who didn't know a great deal about technology. They had a large degree of support for open-source-esq projects, which made it easy for people to write little hacks or big program to extend functionality of their products.

There were plenty of fanboys/fangirls of the company, but there were also legions of techie types who went to schools (that may or may not have been run the Full Reach) to learn how to create software/built hardware/run Full Reach systems, etc. The company was not into intelligence per se, but due to the nature of their company, Freech's work with governments, other huge corporations, and hyper wealthy individuals, necessitated a third kind of actor- soldiers, mercenaries, body guards etc, who have some Full Reach technology training and 'know how' like the techs, but are more capable of physical fighting. The final group related to the company which may have nothing to do with the game beyond mission objectives, etc, would be the surviving business people, the equivalent of cubical workers, R&D, accountants, sales staff, managers, executives, etc, who do their best to support what is left of the hardware and systems, attempt to find lost systems or installs, maintain contacts with different factions related to their use of Full Reach products, etc.

I have *zero* graphic skills (or software) so I cannot suggest a logo. But I hope you like the idea for the company. This sounds like a great idea for a game, and its cool to follow the progress. Good luck, Matt!

David
Check out my workshop blog where I document my learning to paint, customize and collect all kinds of nerdy stuff- mostly 40k at the moment.

Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Krelian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Psicore Technologies

The letter psi is commonly used in physics for representing a wavefunction in quantum mechanics, which is the inspiration for the company name.

Suggested back story idea
Psycore tech was originally a shady company financed by private, and for the public anonymous, investors. They aggressively hired the best scientist they could find and quickly grew until they became the leading physics tech company in the world.
Their main scientific goal was to find alternative energy sources since the worlds supply of fossil fuels were running low. Although, the goal wasn't any kind of charity work and all their discoveries were heavy guarded and their facilities were protected by their own security force to shield them from cooperate espionage.
After many years they finally managed to discover a way to use potential energy. Since they had monopoly on the discovery and no other similar corporations could match them it resulted in endless military contracts which later lead to space travel. By this time Psicore Technologies was a megacorporation with financial and political influence exceeding any country on Earth.

Feel free to revamp whatever isn't to your liking.

[edit]
Here are some more logo ideas.

Last edited by Krelian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

destuctir

Post by destuctir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:47 pm

when i googled psicore that logo appeared did you come up with the name and logo? if so please explain why i can find it online

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm

The logo is just the greek letter Psi.

destuctir

Post by destuctir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm

ltmechanicus wrote:The logo is just the greek letter Psi.
ow right. thats quite clever then. ok never mind

Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Krelian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm

destuctir wrote:when i googled psicore that logo appeared did you come up with the name and logo? if so please explain why i can find it online
I just made that logo and uploaded it to my photobucket account. I can't find the logo when I google it though...hmm. It might pop up on google through this thread though.
There are apparently existing companies called psicore but no "Psicore Technologies"

RabbiPT
Gold Vault Member

Post by RabbiPT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm

1. Genesis Corporation, GenCorp for short
2. Color version: Image
Black and White: Image
I'm sure an actual artist could do a better job, the idea of the logo being the 'G' rising as a sun over the horizon. Could be simplified to a circle as well.
3. Genesis Corporation was founded before the war as a pharmaceutical company, and made many breakthroughs in medicine and medical technology. It was this medical superiority that allowed it to mostly survive the plagues and diseases unleashed on Earth at the end of the war. Now its name has taken on a whole new meaning, as GenCorp tries to organize a new age for humanity amidst the devestation, a new genesis for Earth.

Keep up the good work, Matt!