What should I do if we hit $40,000?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

What should I do if we hit $40,000?

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 am

I'll be posting a video on this shortly, but what should I do if we hit $40,000 raised?

Right now since we hit $20,000 I will be attempting to make two starter boxes so that two factions are somewhat playable.

What do you want me to do if I hit $40,000?

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: What should I do if we hit $40,000?

Post by Dez » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:23 am

How about a full game, with multiple factions?
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 am

We need to be more specific than that. What does "a full game" entail. Warhammer 40k is a full game, but there is no way I could produce that many miniatures with only $40,000.

Wiouds
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Wiouds » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 am

Adds a number of cover piece(s) into the mix.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am

Something akin to the Assault on Black Reach or Island of Blood sets. 2 (or more!) factions, including a mini copy of the rules as well as some unique scenarios. Maybe some terrain as well. Some nice custom dice available only in the box as well as a custom tape measure with the Dark Potential logo on them.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

save it after you make 2 starter sets, save it to make nice rulebooks or templates or something?

either that or more models :P
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

ltmechanicus
Gold Vault Member

Post by ltmechanicus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah, I'd love to see a 3rd faction...Starcraft is onto something, 3 factions really is a sweet spot for working out balance while having variety. Robots! Then you have a human faction, an alien faction, and a "swarm" faction. Dont knock a formula that works...Ignoring ALL tropes will make your product too niche for mass adoption. 300+ donations is great but not enough to support a game system.

Beyond 3 factions I think you should flush out the 3 to get more variety in the range.

I think the rest of the factions should be held in "reserve." Build them up in the fluff to build excitement and then release them on the world in a few waves (like a GW release) later on. For example, if the starter races are all on 25mm bases, I think introducing the Animal faction later on would be a good event to center the introduction of larger bases around, along with the corresponding rules and updates to existing factions (getting a bit ahead of myself). This is like what WM/H did with their 120mm based models. This is just an example of the kind of things you can play with.

More money might also make plastic/resin feasible? I'm hesitant to say this is a good idea, even though this would make your range MUCH more attractive to a bunch of people who just don't like metal at all.

I don't think you should spend money on a rule book at this phase...Rules will probably be very fluid at this point for quite a long time. An art book, however, would be totally worth it and could be another fundraising tool.

P.S. How does the larger release range affect our perks? How, for example, could you get a starter box painted by WP through your event =p Some of us are looking for an excuse to get even more crazy...just saying.

Love what you are doing so far, keep it up.

RecklessFire
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by RecklessFire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am

At 40,000, i believe you should fully invest in 3 dynamic and fully fledged factions, plenty of models for each to promote flexibilility, and a third option would make the future customers feel like they have a choice (pokemon gave 3 choices at the beginning also, look how well they're doing? lol) and in terms of a starter set or 'deal', a customer could purchase 2 of the three factions, and then would recieve a free rule book and dice (everyone likes the word "free"), the same applies if they wanted to buy all 3 factions.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 am

I'm liking the idea of the 3 faction thingy, and the Salvagers do seem like a good match for that.

Keep the ideas coming!

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by BewareOfTom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 am

give the extra's to me?

:3

seriously, I'd say more art and stories if you can, while expanding a bit more on the current 2 factions... or 3 factions as well I like either
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

Arnil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Arnil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am

You should use some of the money to really flesh out the three factions your making and to flesh out the others fulff wise and with art. Lots of art.

Turkey
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Turkey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:58 am

You will have to forgive me if you've already covered this I've been working too much to keep up. I'm assuming the 5 model (sculpt) count per faction at this point is designed around the idea of;

Sculpt 1 - Rifleman
Sculpt 2 - Sniper
Sculpt 3 - Leader, etc

With the idea that a starter set would include say, 5 models of sculpt 1, 2 models of sculpt 2 and so on. If I am mistaken then I would personally opt for a larger range of models, ( sticking with 3 factions at this point ). If I am correct then I would still try and flesh out the range a bit and possibly try and put in 1 special model per faction, a Dune Buggy or Motorcycle for the Corporation, a tough "Vehicle" for the Salvagers. Something that plays different from the generic Infantry. ( Note I am not thinking Rhino or Razorback in size, more like Heavy Warjack Base sized ). My 2 cents

Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Krelian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:08 pm

I'd say either a third faction or expand the model count on the existing two.
Both choices adds more variation to game play and collecting. A third faction makes sure that more people can find something they really like, which might extend the user base.

A big box starter box might sound like a good idea but I still think that it's better to focus on a variety of actual models this early on. A printed rulebook is meaningless if there are no models to choose from. So is a flashy box and packaging.

misomiso
Bronze Vault Member

Post by misomiso » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 pm

You should definitely go for three factions, each with their own starter box and with some additional models available. That would allow people tactical scope to tailor their armies, and give them different types of opponents to fight against. The above posts highlighting the StarCraft analogy hit the nail on the head.

It would really be worth investing in Art and Fiction as well. There’s nothing worse than having to retcon settings, so getting everything nailed down as to what each faction is about would be very helpful, but there’s no need to go into too much details as then its not so bad if you change your mind and want to change some stuff later on I don’t think rule books would be helpful at this stage as they’re likely to change; a full rule book with lots of flavor and art can come later.

fatrat1
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by fatrat1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Make a 20%-30% sale for a month for the Dark potential new products :P