Bandits Backstory

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Nid-Playa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Bandits Backstory

Post by Nid-Playa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 am

Lets face it, the bandits are the most underdeveloped faction in Dark Potential. Some might argue that the bandits dont need a specific back story becasue they are suppose to be customizable, but still, they at least need a basic back story. So this will be my attempt to make a decent back story

The first generation of bandits started out as a group of rag-tag theives just trying to steal what was neccessary to live in the modern world. The group was formed by Allen Lorenzo, A man only interested in money, fame, and power. Allen Lorenzo was never afraid to get his hands dirty and actually enjoyed violence. If Lorenzo continued to lead the bandits, they would have undoubtably ended up nothing more than an insignifigant group of murderers. But only 3 years after the organization was created, Allen Lorenzo was shot and killed by a rival gang. without a leader, the bandits slowly fell upart, until former mobster, Brian Price, picked up the pieces of the scattered group.

Unlike Lorenzo, Brian Price was able to look at the big picture of things, and knew the best ways to run the organization. One of Price's first moves included the growing company, Genesis. Although it was uncertain at the time wether or not the buisness would succed, Price saw potential in them. At first, his actions were subtle, only sending spies to pose as scientists, interested in working for Genesis.

But as Genesis grew, so did the price of their famed drug, Ephemeris. Seeing this as an oppritunity, price launched a series of attacks, aimed at carriers transporting Ephemeris to warp gates, on route to neighborring colonies. Price planed these attacks with deadly precision, able to steal billions of dollers worth of Ephemeris.
Not only did these attacks contribute to the growth of the bandits, they also proved that the bandits were a force to be reckoned with. Although Genenis increased their security measures, the bandits continued to grow and were still able to steal from the corperation. They also kept some of the Ephemeris for themselves, using Genesis's own creation against them.

Price's next step was to start re-enginiering the drug itself. To do this, he held off all attacks against Genesis, in order to give them a feeling of security. Then, he increased the numbers of spies he sent in to Genesis. The spies slowly ranked their way up Genesis until they were alowed direct access to the formula for Ephemeris. The spies then carried the information back to Price. Price hired researchers to figure out how to reverse enginier Ephemeris. Although they were never were able to exactly replicate Ephemeris, they were able to create aslightly less effective version that they sold on the black market.

With growing success, The bandits soon became a group world known, and had the most influence of all illegal organizations.

After setting up a strong foundation for his organization, Price lived in luxury until he did in his mid 80s from natural causes. After his death, his son, Kevin Price, took over. Before his death, Brian Price taught his son, Kevin Price, how to run the bandits and all about their buisness. Kevin proved to be a good leader, but not quite as good as his father.

Increasing tention between the bandits and Genesis almoust resulted in war. But just before war was waged, the X'lanthose released the deadly virus onto earth. Because of Ephemeris, Kevin Price and other of the bandits were able to survive, but a huge amount of the bandits died. Kevin layed low for the first couple decades after the virus. After gathering up what remained of the bandits, Price started resuming attacks on other faction, only this time to survive

Well, there's my attemt at a history of the bandits. Hope you liked it! :)
Last edited by Nid-Playa on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Re: Bandits Backstory Idea

Post by Tmb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 am

This is the first bandits backstory that I will say I approve of this and would actually enjoy seeing this as there back story...
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Nid-Playa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Nid-Playa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:30 am

Lol I just noticed all of my names end with an "en" sound. :D

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 am

lorenzo, brian and kevin...

Nid-Playa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Nid-Playa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 am

Oh and by the way, I'm not implying that the bandits only stoll from Genesis, they also stoll all sorts of weaponry and electronics. Genesis was just their main target.

shogaal14
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Bandits Backstory

Post by shogaal14 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Actually, the name Genesis works perfectly for the Corporation if Matt decides to follow the thread that the Corporation created the animals (Wildborne). Very cool!

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:04 pm

I like the name Genesis
It could easily replace the Corporation

shogaal14
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by shogaal14 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Genesis Corporation,
commonly referred to as "Genesis" or "The Corporation"

Nid-Playa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Nid-Playa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:02 pm

i wonder if matt has read this...

blightboy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by blightboy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 pm

I admit to not reading the other parts of this post but i wanted to post this before i forgot so here it goes.

I think that instead of them just being 'bandits" that you kind of see in a lot of games we could do something like this:

A while ago i saw a history channel thing about how it was possible that the god that people referred to from ancient times could have been aliens, for example when the angels descended from the heavens and gave them a gift or something it could have been aliens on UFO's flying down. Right now this seems like rambling HOWEVER what i am going at is this: The bandits see the X'lanthos as gods. They saw the X'Lanthos come and they saw them as gods angels descending from heaven to deliver retribution on the people of earth, after the virus the few that survived thought that earth had denied god. So they dedicated their lives to defeating the traitors to god and now they roam earth in rag-tag camps sending raids called "crusades" (or something of the sort) against the other races.

If they had to fight against the X'Lanthos they could think that god was testing their skill so they would believe that the X'Lanthos just returned to heaven after they died so they did not feel bad about killing them.

Nid-Playa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Nid-Playa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Matt already said he didnt want aliens to visit Earth before the war. If you could come up with an idea that matt would like I would gladly revise the history i made. :)

evildog112
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by evildog112 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:35 am

I can see where blightboy is trying to go with that. The X'lanthos never visited Earth before, but as the X'lanthos descended from the sky the bandits perceived their arrival as something from godly power. Now I'm not trying to turn the bandits into a religious faction (although the thought of a bunch of religious fanatics running around sounds amusing). The way that I'm seeing it, the way blightboy stated, is just like the hysteria of the world ending in 2012.

Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Spacefrisian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:38 am

I see the bandits more like the Raiders from Fallout, they are banded into groups ranging from large to small each fighting for there own goals, largely pillage and plunder. Some of them do other things.

But i get the idea Matt doesnt want to go in that direction.
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind

MadMedek
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by MadMedek » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:40 am

Here is my take on the bandit or raider class issue. First off my names the Fogotten, the Forsaken, Natives, Scraps. So the idea is that the fill in the blanks are more or nomadic bands of humans that have over the years to live off the earth and become true survivalists. They in a whole are very resistant to structured governments or ruling classes. The have almost become like the native Americans of ancient history. Very resourceful and their camps are very mobile. Some camps are agressive warbands or raiders, and others are more peacfull and only defend themselves if necessary. They tend to not travel in high numbers. Their name is a label given by the remnants. Not all of them are savage murderers, but the general apperence of the nomadic groups has labeled them. As the european settlers called the natives indians but they didnt call themselves that. And most remnant teams do not attempt peaceful talks out of fear of being raided for their higher tech. Avoid and if they get seen then shoot first sort of mentality. This has also lead to the more negative view the so and SO's have of the more advanced classes. Their mostly unarmored with the veteran warriors of the tribes wearing patchwork armor from what they have raided or salvaged. As you can see the early history of north America is a perfect reference. Survivalist living of the land and encroached upon by the more high civilized human and alien classes. This gives them plenty of reasons to fight. And enough customizability to make them good guys or bad guys. A player can really take pride in their warband. I keeps to the more skirmish nature of the game. And give a sort of structure on the class. You could even maybe add say one of the alien animals in a warband as sort of a domesticated version since they would more than likely be more untuned with nature and animals. This would give that model range more usability too.
I have a high threshold for other peoples pain.

vanishing
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by vanishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:12 pm

The idea of the bandits seems closely linked to the coalition. Since the coalition's idea revolves around business it might be an interesting idea to make it a coalition of companies rather than a single one. A single company could control a particular area but they have relations with other companies elsewhere, hence coalition. Call it the "Coalition of Free Industry" or something equally pompous and easily shorted to coalition.

How this relates to the bandits is that the coalition is trying to revive what we (probably) think of as the good aspects of business: cooperation for profit, paying people for work, encouraging innovation, etc. The bandits would be the darker side: exploiting slave labor, industrial sabotage and spying, pursuing natural resources to their destruction, etc. This gives some good explanations for why bandits are numerous and organized, yet the coalition manages to hold them off with slightly better technology. I think it also fits well with Matt's vision of less murky morality.

There are probably political forces at work between the groups as well. Many of the bandit groups, but certainly not all, would like to join with the coalition but they would need to abandon their current ways, and the people in power like the ways things work and won't do that (probably wise, their people would likely rise up and kill them). There would also probably be a lot of conflict between bandit groups. They could easily crush the coalition if they could organize into a single force but they just can't trust each other.

The organized crime idea fits nicely with this (it's all just "business" after all). Perhaps model some of the ideas on the raubritter or robber barons, the bandits being an almost feudal organization with the "employees" nothing more than serfs.

This naturally leads to ideas of factions within the bandits and adds some ideas for factions within the coalition. It clearly give ideas for conflict between bandit factions, and could, with a little imagination, give a few motivations for conflict between coalition factions. It could even give some incentive for bandits and coalition forces to work together on rare occasions; it is business after all, so the coalition just holds it nose and does what it needs to in order to keep its people alive and moving forward.