Question for Matt: what kinds of weapons are used?

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Reki101
MiniWarGaming Regular

Question for Matt: what kinds of weapons are used?

Post by Reki101 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Is the main kind of weapon used gunpowder ballistics, energy like lasers or plasma, energy ballistic like EM guns, rail guns, or a dark potential gun, or something entirely different? Although a potential energy gun would be cool.
Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword.

BigMekScraptech
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Question for Matt: what kinds of weapons are used?

Post by BigMekScraptech » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:45 pm

He did say he would play around with Dark Potential Energy (DPE?) as a weapon, but no specifics. I would like this question answered to, as although each faction would have different weapons, there would probably be an overall style, at least technology wise.
Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the newcomers!Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the newcomers! Down with Greedy Workshop! Up with the Newcomers!

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 pm

At this point I would say I have no idea.

LevityDave
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by LevityDave » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:52 pm

To use Dark potential gun I can't really imagine it as a weapon that causes damage but has a significant impact of the unit it is used against.

A dark potential gun could be used to influence the gravitation field at a certain location. This could be used to create a sort of force field where you create a thin field with incredible high gravitational potential. Any object crossing the field would have it's trajectory altered if high enough bullets could be pulled directly to the ground.

This could also be used to say cause a unit's movement to be slowed or weaponry to heavy to be aimed so reducing accuracy.

on a larger scale you could pull planes out of the sky sink boat or even. spaceships out of orbit.

farmerbrown
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by farmerbrown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:01 pm

It could also be used to pull a unit towards another unit, or to send a unit away from another unit or slam a unit into some rocks or send them flying into the sky, there are tons if possibilities.
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.

MadMedek
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by MadMedek » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:18 pm

LevityDave wrote:To use Dark potential gun I can't really imagine it as a weapon that causes damage but has a significant impact of the unit it is used against.

A dark potential gun could be used to influence the gravitation field at a certain location. This could be used to create a sort of force field where you create a thin field with incredible high gravitational potential. Any object crossing the field would have it's trajectory altered if high enough bullets could be pulled directly to the ground.

This could also be used to say cause a unit's movement to be slowed or weaponry to heavy to be aimed so reducing accuracy.

on a larger scale you could pull planes out of the sky sink boat or even. spaceships out of orbit.
Basic weapons are easy to think of and will obviouslly be mostly used. On the idea of tech weapons.
I had the same ideas when you mentioned this in the vid about dark potential weapons. I thought How cool would it be if you had a Gun of sorts that shot a template that increased the gravity so much it pretty much crushes all withing the template under their own weight. Oh :idea: What about altering the potential between two objects such as a projectial and a target. There for not only do you have its own kentetic energy you have energy almost pulling to its target. This may be a little too advanced to be widely used but a weapon that in game play would travel through all objects on the board in a line till it travels to the target of minipulated potential energy. :arrow: SO example I have a Coalition heavy gunner that aims to do damage to a group af salvagers he see a large piece of terrain behind them such a a building he declares a point on the building behind them for path of projetial and the buildings dark potiential is altered. So the projectial penetrates all salvagers until it hit the target of potential energy then stops there. You dont have to target just terrain you could see four guys in a row. Target the guy in the back and kill all four. DONTS of this gun. It is not a rail gun so it does not travel infinate off the board. It has to have a start and stop on the board within a certain range. :D i would say a weapon like this would be limited to a max of one and have a extreme point cost. I dont know much about physics but I'm sure in the realms of fiction you could ake it work.
I have a high threshold for other peoples pain.

LevityDave
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by LevityDave » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:41 pm

A rail gun is actually surprisingly similar to this gun. It works by creating a strong electromagnetic field that accelerates a lump of metal to incredible speeds. an example of field manipulation used in current time.

Electromagnetism we have both positive and negative forces. Forces of attraction and repulsion. Maybe in Dark potential since we have found a way to manipulate gravitational fields we can create attractive and repulsive forces of gravity.

If this was the case some you could move objects around.

i would imagine all this would take huge amounts of power so would not be in abundant in fighting.

Just had another though light is effected by gravity if you created the correct field around a person you could bend the light around them and back together creating an a point of inviability. though i would have to guess this would take more then portable power so could only be used to hide buildings ,maybe a defense mechanism of the collectors.

Mortivore
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Mortivore » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 pm

If i remember Matt said that you can manipulate atoms with Potential Power so if you are going to weaponize it for use against soft targets then why not just have the weapon weaken the bonds between a person atoms making them expolde.

video related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NF32ynK ... re=related

you can also pick up objects and "throw" them pig related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4laXLnsMkg&NR=1
IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT

Reki101
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Reki101 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:45 pm

The bulk of weapons would probably still be gunpowder or electromagnetic tho. Unless lasers, plasma lasers, or phazers were widely used in the 100 year war and could be maintained by most people as easily as a pistol or shotgun is now.

Todda
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Todda » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:15 am

He talks about some high tech weapons, but mostly I get the impression that a lot are salvaged older weapons... Things like Sub Machine Guns, Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns, Grenades... You might see some high tech weapons like Blasters and Gravity Guns on the Reclaimers or X'Lanthos. You might also see older weapons like Flintlocks, Bows, Crossbows, Swords, Shields, Clubs, Knives... Of course there are the animals with their teeth, claws, tentacles, and horns.

It is really hard to say though based on what he has shown so far. The same goes with Scale and Game Mechanics. Very little has been set up so far.
I made the move to professionally painting 3 years ago. I paint a good mix between speed and quality. This keeps prices low, like a typical 2K 40k army is under $500.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

Reki101
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Reki101 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:34 am

But, like I said before, during the 100 year war it is entirely possible that gunpowder weapons were phased out entirely. Kind of like 8-track was phased out completely by castes and cd's.

jiko
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jiko » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:58 pm

I say mass drivers would be a good idea because gun powder is hard to manufacture
and maintain but if you could have a mass driver engine using a small amount of electricity eg.a small solar panel to unlock the energy in the matter you could use bullets (just the lead) and the mass driver engine could use some of the bullet to fire the rest maby eventualy using it up in the process it would provide a finite range on weapons, but would be cheaper to use than old fashion gunpowder bullets if you want more range you use a bigger bullet but you have to carry less of them due to weight or size of unit. also less dangerous to use because if you hit an ammo stockpile like say on a ship it dosen't explode also the further you are from a target the less damage it does or you could fire it conventionaly(not useing up the mass of the bullet, mabe use something else and have the bullet lose speed the farther it goes due to friction although in space fireing it this way would be deadly because it would keep traveling the same speed till it hit something.(object in motion stays in motion until it is affected by another force eg friction drag gravity).

In closeing if you have this awsome tech why not weaponise it
Read the forum before you comment on the forum.

Understand the forum before you comment on the forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheEquinox
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TheEquinox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Lets not get ahead of our selfs here all this talk of DPE weapons and railguns remember they have just had most of there race killed. It is more then likely that they would still be trying to develop some way of getting a good power source going to keep the lights on. This is only 100 years in the future from most of them dying. IMO i think it would be more then likely that weapons of a similar nature to the ones we see today would still be in use. The people might be lucky and manage to find an old armoury or something(that may well have lasers and plasma), but then how do they maintain these weapons ? if they are based around some kinda of ammo then do they know how to use it ? and if it is based on some form of power can they produce this power ?. I belive matt is trying to go for a more realist approach to the armies correct me if i am wrong. ^^ all that is for the humans however,the alines could have what ever they want. All im my opinion of course.

jiko
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jiko » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 pm

you also have to remember that it is around 2000 to 4000 years from now you would think that weapons would be advanced . and with dp weapons it would be easy to smelt your own bullets if you needed only a small amount of electricity to power them you need something to kill robots and crazy monsters regular tech might not cut it and be expensive in resouces. while lazers and plasma definatley use lots of power i still say use the dp as a easy power source. converting mass into energy and useing the energy to propel mass or use it to sling mass at a huge speed to cause damage. just because you are trying to rebuild a society dosent mean you cant do it with cool weapons.
Read the forum before you comment on the forum.

Understand the forum before you comment on the forum.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LevityDave
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by LevityDave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:15 pm

honestly I'm not a huge fan of using dark potential as a weapon exactly I'm much more in the way of thinking that it is more a tactical weapon. not used to directly kill*. you can use it as a force field to slow enemy units.

this being said there is nothing stopping it being the source of power for mass drivers. though i see the machinery used to do this is big so maybe only used of vehicles. though there is again nothing stopping it being small and fitted on to the top of a gun like like a range finder but using to create a potential link between a gun and it's target and allowing a gravitational potential mass driver.

* all in all if we talk about more then just gravitational potential we may be able to look into the strong and weak nuclear forces that we may be able to strength or weaken each separately. If this was done you could remove the strong or weak force holding the atoms in you enemy together this could do 2 things allow the atoms in his body to float apart or snap together killing them.