Dark Potential Beta Rule (0.1.3, updated January 18)

Discuss MiniWarGaming's Post Apocalyptic Wargame here. NOTE: This game is a work in progress.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Dark Potential Beta Rule (0.1.3, updated January 18)

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

After a bunch of playtesting this week, I have updated the rules to 0.1.3.

From our playtests I definitely like the changes made to cover. However, the Armour became too high for all units, so they have all been reduced by 1.

I also added a new scenario based on an old one we played before.

You can download the rules here (Version Beta 0.1.3, updated January 18, 2013):
http://www.darkpotential.com/downloads.php

Changelog:
  1. added a scenario!
  2. removed reference in Falling to choosing which model gets killed
  3. removed rule that stops movement after Jumping
  4. removed reference to cover in AOE weapons
  5. added rule for cover penalty to AOE weapons
  6. reworded cover penalties to cover bonuses
  7. removed Smoke Grenades providing Level 2 Cover
  8. changed so that Smoke Grenades cause a -1 penalty to Energy Weapons instead of -2
  9. corrected error in example for stacking anti-gravity mines
  10. added rule for Flash Grenades that causes a Morale check on units hit that don't have any Command Points
  11. added clarification that grenades/mines can be placed before Overwatch activates if the unit has performed a Tactical Manoeuver
  12. added revealing rule for Stealth bases with Flash Grenades
  13. removed Cover Penalties from detecting Stealth Bases
  14. added extra rules for squads and Perception tests (i.e. other members can do something else)
  15. updated Dug-In rule with new cover rules
  16. removed reference to Cover in the Guided weapon special rule
  17. reduced all units Armour by 1
  18. added Infrared Weapon Special Rule
  19. updated Targeting Scanners to have the Infrared rule
Feel free to reply to this topic with suggestions. If you have major areas you want to discuss, then please start a new thread here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=122

Thanks in advance for your help!

Matthew

niclebel
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Dark Potential Beta Rule (0.1.3, updated January 18)

Post by niclebel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm

I have been looking voer the Reclaimer stuff for a bit, having received my models. One thing,a nd this si minor, that's bugging me is the squad names. There's the aegis guard, aegis meaning shield, pretty badass for the heavier unit wielding the Reclaimer version of a flamer. Then there's the Drop Guard, they're the jump units. "Drop Guard" is a prettu crummy name IMHO and doesn't link well with the theme, not that there really is one.

My mind immediately went to greek and thus to Sparta. The Reclaimers have 4 squads so far: The initiates, the Aegis Guard, the Drop Guard and the Field Platform team (also pretty meh). Here's an idea to rename them, giving them a theme and a sense of cohesion.

Initiates - Xiphos: The xiphos (ξίφος) was the spartan short sword. Simple, straight, double-edged and effective. A weapon that the spartan warrior could always relly on.

Drop Guard - Kopis: The kopis (κοπίς) was a greek curved sword, single edged and weighed at the tip. It was used more for hacking and slashing and very lethal in close combat. The badass sword.

Aegis Guard - Aspis / Hoplon: The aspis (ασπίς), sometimes refered to as the hoplon (οπλον), was the shield used by greek infantry and more notably the spartans. Large and solid, it was the backbone of every army and essential to the phalanx. Mainly defensive, it could also be used as a formidable blun weapon and therefore surprisingly dealy up close. The shield was part of the warrior. I think aspis would be a better name, as hoplon makes direct reference to the greek hoplite.

Field Platform Team - Dori: The dori (δόρυ) was the spartan spear. Very long range, very deadly. It striked fast and hard and was used mainly with the spartan shield in phalanx formation.

Then there's the Forward Observer and the Spectre. The names are fine, but I really like the Redeemer and the idea of "We come to reclaim what is ours, we are just and all other are unjust.". That's what I'm getting anyway, but maybe in reality they feel sorry for leaving the other humans. Regardless, the concept of holy purpose is one I find fun.

Forward Observer - Prosecutor: Upon whom the blame of the prosecutor falls, so too shall judgment and thus death. (he points, the Redeemer shoots... to kill)

Spectre - Vindicator: Your peace is a lie. From the darkness I come. I come to vindicate my claim and retake what is mine. My vengeance shall strike hard and true, for I am just.

Let me know what you all think and we'll take it from there. I'm still trying to find something for the Captain. Warden is another way to say Guardian, so the Captain, if his name were to change, would need to be a cut above Guardian. My brain is thinking Keeper for the moment (Keeper of Truth, Keeper of Secrets, Keeper of the Faith), but he's military, not religious or political.

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 pm

If a Ranged Weapon Ignores Armour is Cover still factored into the Wounding roll.

Also, If an AEO is placed over a model without cover, and a separate Unit is in cover from the direction of the center of the AOE, do they get cover factored into their wounding roll.

mmchugh
Gold Vault Member

Post by mmchugh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

The version number of this thread (0.1.3) does not match that of the document (0.1.4), and I don't see a 0.1.4 thread.

In the attributes section, page 8. The summary lists the attribute as Ranged Attack(Sh) and the description lists it as Ranged Attack(RA)

The points section, page 9. It lists squads as having 2 costs, the first for the first 3, and the second for additional up to 6. It seems from the army entries that this is no longer how it works.

On page 18, under Fighting over Linear Obstacles, it looks like a word ("more", likely) is missing:
"but in so doing one or models would have to"

hammerty10
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by hammerty10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

BTW. From the "attributes" list it still shows "Ranged Attacks (Sh)"

The attributes are as follows:
Movement (Mv)
Defense (Df)
Armor (Ar)
Strength (St)
Attacks (At)
Ranged Attack (Sh)
Close Combat (CC)
Perception (Pr)
Morale (Mr)
Wounds (Wo)
Command Points (CP)
Points (Pt)

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm

AkimboJonesx21 wrote:If a Ranged Weapon Ignores Armour is Cover still factored into the Wounding roll.
Yes.
AkimboJonesx21 wrote:Also, If an AEO is placed over a model without cover, and a separate Unit is in cover from the direction of the center of the AOE, do they get cover factored into their wounding roll.
Cover is calculated from the center of the AOE, so yes.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

mmchugh wrote:The version number of this thread (0.1.3) does not match that of the document (0.1.4), and I don't see a 0.1.4 thread.

In the attributes section, page 8. The summary lists the attribute as Ranged Attack(Sh) and the description lists it as Ranged Attack(RA)

The points section, page 9. It lists squads as having 2 costs, the first for the first 3, and the second for additional up to 6. It seems from the army entries that this is no longer how it works.

On page 18, under Fighting over Linear Obstacles, it looks like a word ("more", likely) is missing:
"but in so doing one or models would have to"
Fixed, fixed, fixed, and fixed.

Nerd13
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Nerd13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Glad to see more consistent updates staring.
Na'vun Sept (Tau)
Hive Fleet Colossus (Tyranids)
Spawn of Tli'Huan (Lizardmen)
Iron Pansies (Space Marines)
Frostghosts (Necrons)
Dragon's Fire (Warriors of Chaos/Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines/Renegade Guard)

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Whats with the change in squad sizes? I do agree the 4-8 squad size was far to large, but to reduce them to all to 3-5 is quite an extreme change. I agree for it for the Reclaimers and X'Lanthose, but not for the Corperation. I would put the squad sizes to 3-6 for they have weaker weapons, which would benefit from the greater RoF, and higher numbers, in theory.

HowlingWolf1337
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HowlingWolf1337 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 am

I miss the list creation chart, explenation on the points needed and maximum slots
Necrons - 2300p - 70% painted