GB XXVI: xand's Pollution Monster - complete

This month's them is "evil."
xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

GB XXVI: xand's Pollution Monster - complete

Post by xand » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 am

Okay, so ever since the topic was announced, I've been trying to think of the most evil thing that would be appropriate for this build. I really wanted to make a statement about deeper evils inherent in human nature and not just the more obvious evils of demons and things, so this was a bit tricky. I played with the idea of having a human temple with witches being burned at the stake, and I also thought about trying to show an interior shot of an industrial center where hive-planet workers rotted where they died in exhaustion amidst the gears and pipe-works of the uncaring Empire of Man. A symbol of religious intolerance, and a symbol of lack of compassion, either one brought to the extreme are quite evil in my book. Unfortunately, I am once again on a budget of $0, so what I'm making has to be built with materials I've already got. Both of those examples would require me to buy more minis for "background" purposes. Instead, I've opted for a more "environmental" terrain.

A park; being advanced upon by a river of sludge, out of which emerges a decaying demon which reaches forth to claim the life of the last living tree. Everything the demon touches dies. Black tar-like goo drips from its mouth and eyes, and the decayed skin is tightly wrapping the bones where it is there are all.

My original inspiration for the demon was Hexus from the movie Fern Gully, and I thought about having this thing as part of a ritual to Nurgal (maybe like it was emerging from the warp onto a feral planet or something) but I decided that I'd rather have it left open to interpretation so that it might be usable in things other than 40k since I want to sell it when I'm done. I do intend to have some barrels of toxic waste and maybe some industrial runoff pipes leading to it with bits of trash and discarded things as a further indication that Man was the cause of the problem.

The complete destruction and utter disregard for the welfare of the natural world. That's about as evil as I can think of for building something in the budget I'm in :)

-xand
Last edited by xand on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nature Chaos: 1039 pts

Check out my WIP here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=69158

And my youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cauldroncra ... e=g-subs-u

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: GB XXVI: xand's Man's Disreguard for the Environment

Post by Blue » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm

This should be interesting. Cool idea dude.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

sharkvictim
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by sharkvictim » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm

First off, yeah. Please do this. It has the potential to be awesome.
Secondly, Nurgle*.
My Painted Mini's and Conversions

Wu-Tang Wargaming Knowledge
"I gotcha back, but you best to watch your front" - GZA

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:10 am

ALRIGHT! Swampy to go! Toxic nuclear field to go! AWesome!
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by xand » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Well, I finally got started on this, and I really hope I've got the time to finish it before the deadline. Originally I had planned on using the cleaned and dried bones much more prolifically, but with my "zero budget" policy I couldn't afford to buy any greenstuff, so I had to use sculpey instead and just bake it onto the bones. Not a great idea if you have cats. One of our cats took it on herself to take care of this demon personally, and attacked it while it was cooling. I had to reset the spine again, and make a sculpey replacement for the destroyed arm bone. Really the spine and ribs are most important to see, since I plan on having a "skin" covering them, I want it to have that emaciated look. Next I've got to make a terrain base. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do that yet...

Check out my WIP here:

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Wow! Nice work xand. It looks really good dude. Did you use real bones for the bones?

As for the base a piece of foam with a pit dug in it would probably be best to give it that rising feel.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by xand » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks guys, and yes, they are real bones. Sculpey is too pliable for me to try sculpting all the bones from that in anything resembling a solid and recognizable piece :) I found a nice sized piece of styrofoam that I'm going to try carving down for the base.

Check out my WIP here:

sharkvictim
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by sharkvictim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 am

Looking rad.
My Painted Mini's and Conversions

Wu-Tang Wargaming Knowledge
"I gotcha back, but you best to watch your front" - GZA

Tmb
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

That is really awesome, i honestly can't say more because that is what that is... pure awesome...
+: I guess i can say that i really like the hand :mrgreen:
-: But i would've like to seen more teeth in the skull.
But overall it looks... Awesome!
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Khornate
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Khornate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow looks real nice so far ^^
Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by xand » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks again guys!
Tmb wrote:That is really awesome, i honestly can't say more because that is what that is... pure awesome...
+: I guess i can say that i really like the hand :mrgreen:
-: But i would've like to seen more teeth in the skull.
But overall it looks... Awesome!
I know, I really wanted to put lots of smaller teeth in there, and it was a toss up between that or the alternate idea, which I've decided to go with, which will be to have gobs of black tar oozing from is mouth and flowing between his teeth.

Check out my WIP here:

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by xand » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Here's the main piece. The trees are from a Crape Myrtle that got struck by lightening and burned. Myrtles are well known for their awesome twisty branches with lots of little offshoots. This is one of my favorite woods to work with in my other crafting endeavors, and I happened to pick up some nice branches a couple of weeks ago when I was out walking with my kid. The smaller branchletts are going to be dead trees, and the one that the hand is reaching for will be alive with leaves and a brighter colour for the wood. The dead ones will be painted dark gray and black with some white highlights.

Check out my WIP here:

Khornate
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Khornate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm

very nice :D I mostly use pine tree branches <.>
Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

Tmb
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

wow i like how this is progressing, i could would like to see more trees... that have been broken down or sawed apart.
But other then that, i'm excited to see this finished!
(I think thats the first time of said that in the terrain forums...)
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 am

Sweeeet :D
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Return to “Group Build XXVI (26)”