GBXXVI: The Altar of Chaos - COMPLETE!!!

This month's them is "evil."
dcrabb
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: GBXXVI: The Altar of Chaos - COMPLETE!!!

Post by dcrabb » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Shark, great job. I love the pillars/stones that stick up. It gives the piece a real 3 dimensional feel. One tip. Get some expandable Gorrila Glue. You can spread it around the base of things and add bits of sprue, small rocks, etc to make a better transition from the horizontial to vertical surfaces.

Did you use the knife to get the rough edges on the eye? I will have to try that.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 pm

dcrabb wrote:Shark, great job. I love the pillars/stones that stick up. It gives the piece a real 3 dimensional feel.
Stole the words right out of my mouth...
I like how playable it is too. How many minis do you think you could jam on there?
I do think the rocks deserved some more color. Sometimes just dry brushing the same color 2 or 3 times helps reinforce it and make the color show up more. Rather than having to use progressively lighter colors.

Great job dude!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

sharkvictim
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by sharkvictim » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:23 pm

dcrabb wrote:Get some expandable Gorrila Glue. You can spread it around the base of things and add bits of sprue, small rocks, etc to make a better transition from the horizontial to vertical surfaces...Did you use the knife to get the rough edges on the eye? I will have to try that.
I have some expandable Gorilla glue actually, and I bought it by mistake so it's just sitting in the garage. Now I know what to do with it, thanks brosef :)
Yes, I cut the eye out with a knife. I 'drew' it on by dragging the tip of the knife over it. I knew I was going to be cutting it out so It didn't matter how that looked. I made sure I gave it some generous space so I could make a fairly wide cut, but still small enough that you could put 28mm bases on it without them tipping into it. Once the mark was made I basically made a rough V cut doing one side '/' first and then the other side '\'. I was going for the rough scraggy edges and was amazed it turned out like I planned. Once I decided I wanted it to look like inlaid gold I used my soldering iron to quickly burn a thin ditch around the outer edge. Hopefully in the pics you can see how smooth it turned out.
The whole eye area was basecoated in tin bits (but not the center, just the slotted pupil). Then shining gold. The center of the eye was based in red gore then a few layers of blood red. lastly the crevasses were quickly drybrushed with shining gold.
In the beginning the eye was coated once with pva and then a quick coat of red gore cuz it was the first paint I grabbed and I wanted to make sure it was nice and flat. Then I spray painted the whole thing dark brown (outside, of course) cuz my black ran out. I wanted to give the surface some texture with some controlled melting since the thing was so big and flat. I painted the whole thing with a coat of reaper pure black and simply drybrushed it with some reaper rainy grey and voila. (Just one drybrush, Blue, sorry to disappoint.)
I plan on coming back to it With some rubbly bits like crabbs has, and I wanted to do some vine work with a new process I learned, but ran out of hot glue. I'm still happy with it thus far, but If I come back and improve on it rest assured I'll get more pics up in my mini's thread.
Fun fact: drizzle hot glue from a hot glue gun into a container of water and the glue will cool instantly, leaving you with nice rounded vines. I made some test ones but it was all I could get out. Guarantee the next terrain piece will be swarming with them. Also I can't take credit for the process. It was a dude named Doomthumbs from Dakka Dakka. He was using it for tyranid terrain a la starcraft creep colony.
My Painted Mini's and Conversions

Wu-Tang Wargaming Knowledge
"I gotcha back, but you best to watch your front" - GZA

Return to “Group Build XXVI (26)”