update

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
WillCarter
Now we're getting somewhere...

update

Post by WillCarter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates, my internet was unavailable.

everything is still on track and the push up progress is still about 30 maximun but up to about 150 a day :)

Ive also just recieved the kettleworx program which I hear great things about

bighara
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: update

Post by bighara » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 am

Kettlebells are a great way to exercise. Like most weight/resistance routines, you need to pay attention to form. The rule of thumb in strength training is; if you can't maintain strict form, reduce the weight.

Likewise in push-ups. Nice and slow and strict form. 2 seconds down, 2 seconds up. I used to think I could do 40 pushups in one go, then I found out how WRONG I was doing them! I now do 20-25 in a set and it's harder work than doing 40 the old way. Your form may be fine, but you can see a good video about proper pushup form here.

Strength/weight training is good for you (done properly), but for weight loss –as I've said in other places on these threads– CARDIO IS KING!! You must do C/V to lose weight. Ideally 30 min+ per day with your average heart rate at approx. 65-75% of max.

All this –along with reduced caloric intake and watching fats and carbs– will give most folks a sustainable fat loss of 4-5 pounds per month. YMMV. If you keep up your lean protein intake you'll gain muscle too, but not as quickly. 4-5 pounds of muscle annually is considered solid by natural bodybuilders, but as the fat drops off, the muscle you already have will be getting stronger and more defined faster than you are gaining new muscle, so that's a plus. :)