Sustainable Fitness

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Grimjin
Now we're getting somewhere...

Sustainable Fitness

Post by Grimjin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:24 am

Hi all! Been reading the fitness challenge thread, and I salute those who have picked up the gauntlet. Cheer! Hopefully this thread provides a starting point for concepts and information to help you along your fitness journey.

To start with I have no certificates, diplomas, or degrees on this subject matter. From an educational viewpoint I have a 3-year diploma in Business Administration Marketing, IFIC [Mutual Funds Designation], and a Certificate in International Trade. From a participation viewpoint physical education in every year of high school including coaching training, judo, karate, kung fu, and the gym membership experience. I am just the average dude trying to improve my health. So, to sum up I basically listened to what other people tell me to do, then try and do it! Over my time in martial arts I dislocated my right knee ten times and my left 4, Doctor told me to give it up, and it only took 13 more injuries for me to agree with him.

But those injuries taught me the most important lesson, I needed to learn what works for me! I need to pursue things that make me stronger and more healthy. I am hoping to introduce some fitness concepts in this thread for you to consider, adapt and implement, or consider, reject and move on. I am not interested in being right, in fact if I am proven wrong then that means someone has correctly modified one of the fitness concepts. So please feel free to chime in, add, stretch, bend anything you run across in this thread. I believe this community is very well suited for this, you already read and evaluate information for its relevance.

Grimjin

Re: Sustainable Fitness

Post by Grimjin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:17 am

To start with the best thing you can do to improve your health is to not make it worse. Do not injure yourself! Also be aware repetitive small injuries can lead to permanent large injuries. So I guess it is pretty easy to say that and we have all heard it before yet injuries seem to still happen. Guess all I can say is sometimes we have to make mistakes to find out something is not working, and at any given time we use the best information we have till something better replaces that information. Also most people are just passing on what has been passed down to them, so we continue without improvement.

The first thing I would like you to consider implementing is becoming aware of your body. I mean we all do it, but I am talking about bringing to the forefront trying to consciously be aware of how your body feels as you go about your day. Sometimes I wait inside my living room getting a sense of how an feel, then I open the glass sliding door and step out into the sunlight, immediately I feel better. In my opinion it is greatly underestimated how important some sunlight is to our bodies. Another example is liquid nutrition, pretty sure most are thinking about alcohol right now but that is not my meaning. I am talking about protein powder in milk or water and the various green plant powders you mix with water. There is no question in my mind the body can utilize liquids faster than solids. It also would lead me to think some kind of gaseous form of nutrition would be even faster, although I have never encountered this and the liquid form is acting within a minute or less. The more I learn about nutrition the more I look at my body as a giant test tube filled with various chemicals continually interacting.
Last edited by Grimjin on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimjin

Post by Grimjin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:43 am

I totally get the Weight Loss Challenge name, from a timing perspective and a name to grab peoples attention and motivate them to move, its a huge success! The thing I hate about it is one our fixation on the goal weight within a small amount of time! We gradually got out of shape, why not gradually get back into shape? Generally if you are in a body with higher levels of body fat, you also have weakened structural support, trying to hold it altogether while you shock it into higher levels of aerobic activities.

Your body weight is made up of all kinds of things like bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, organs, blood, water, skin, hair, nails, fat, etc. What is important is the amount of fat your body has stored, so total poundage and the percentage of your body fat to your total weight.

My scale is a Tanita, its about nine years old now. You enter your height, and gender and it gives you your weight and body fat percentage. The scale has four metal pads you step onto with your bare feet, it then sends and electrical signal through your body and measures the resistance to generate the numbers. The newer ones give you a percentage of water content and the higher end ones even give you a bone weight. I hate fixating on the daily numbers its the wrong way to go in my opinion. But at least this scale would make your numbers more accurate. The daily weight readings you are getting can vary wildly based on how much water content you have lost from sweating. On hot days without even working out you can lose pounds of water weight. If you are active outside in the hot sun those numbers rise dramatically, then you jump on the old school scale see good loss numbers and are happy. But in fact you have dehydrated your body and it needs that water back. When you jump on the scale at some later date re-hydrated you see a higher number than you thought you had lost and sad panda face comes along. If you are familiar with boxing or Mixed Martial Arts, some of these fighters can lose 5 to 30 pounds in a very short amount of time by dehydrating their bodies to make weight for a sanctioned fight. There are also cases of body builders dehydrating and dropping their body fat to sub 5% levels to make the skin as thin as possible when draped over their large muscles for visual impact. But in a few of these cases they had to drive to other States for the competition, tragically they died on the way before they could get medical help. I do not like to include this type of information! But if athletes of this level of knowledge, years of experience, usually some kind of support from the gym community can have this happen!! Then lets not make the same mistakes.

The readings on the scale can vary a fair amount depending of various factors. From 3% to 8% from what I have heard. The ones with water weight are probably not as variable but I do not have one so cannot be sure. Try and take your reading just before you go to bed and after you have been to the bathroom. I keep a calender on the wall by mine and write down my daily readings. Its the trend line that is important to me.

There are also old school plastic arms called fat calipers. You literally use the clamp to pinch the skin at certain locations where the human body tends to collect fat. You then add up the inches and compare to a table. This is also a reasonable way to collect the data.

The really accurate ways are usually more at universities or institutes, so not really practical for daily measurements. One is putting your body in a sling and then lowering you into a pool of water to measure specific gravity. Think there is a new egg shaped chamber you can sit inside for a certain amount of time to get to get accurate readings.

Grimjin

Post by Grimjin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 pm

So if your just starting out again after a long period of inactivity, what should you do? Well in my opinion I would like to see you taking a daily multi-vitamin, vitamin C and D, and an Omega 3 and 6 combo [keep fatty acids in fridge, in fact the better ones are bought from a fridge]. Now even this should really be a simple concept, but it is not! But might as well accept the controversy, even at this simple level there is not universal agreement. There are many people who say supplements of any form are not needed. You can get everything you need from what you eat. My take on that is, it could be true. But the only way to prove your getting what is expected from the food you eat is to test it in the lab.

Back in the day, the soil foods were grown in were given time to recover after a harvest, manure was laid down, etc. before another crop was planted. Pretty sure science determined potash, and other compounds similar to Scott's turf builder can make the fiber of the fruits and vegetables grow strong and fast. So it looks firm, plump and shiny. But since the soil has not been cultivated properly some of the elements that was in the soil are missing, so the root system cannot absorb them into the plant. So for example if you are eating an apple and the flesh is turning brownish before you have finished eating it, the apple was deficient in some minerals or elements. Had those minerals or elements been there the apple would not have oxidized so fast. Another perspective on this issue is the scientific method is the only way to make enough fruits and vegetables for the growing world population. That is the old way does not yield enough for everyone to be fed.

Now this leads us to the growing popularity of organic grown fruits and vegetables. They grow things in the older ways of farming so they tend to have higher nutritional value, but this makes them cost more, and there is our trade off.

Another factor I would like to pass along is genetic modification of the seeds. I remember seeing the actor who played the "Thing" in the Fantastic Four movies speaking on television. He was speaking about his work out routine, in order to get ready for his new role on "No Ordinary Family". Specifically about how he was doing a well balanced professionally tailored five day a week workout plan and gaining body fat. So after they looked into why, they determined the bread he was eating had very high gluten levels. Approximately 60 to 70% higher levels than found in European breads. This made a lot of sense to me because I heard an expert speaking on the topic of bio-diesel. He said "More sugar equals more fuel" that is just how the fermentation process works. So I believe the actual seeds used in modern North American wheat have been genetically modified to yield higher sugar levels in the same amount of plant. So once again it looks like the stuff from years ago but its more potent in the stuff we do not need.

Another example was an interview with an organic carrot farmer. The reporter asked him why his carrots had to be hand picked, when other farms just use a machine to pick them. He informed her his seeds can be traced back to 150 years ago, the outer shell of his carrots would be damaged if that machine was used on his fields. Furthermore the big farm corporations have genetically modified their carrots to have thicker skins to withstand being picked by those types of machines.

Now once again I cannot say if this is true or not, I just do not have the means to prove or disprove this information. Really I am just trying to sort it all out and try and determine the best course of action.

So to sum up this portion I would rather pay for the three supplement bottles every so many months just to be sure I am getting some amount of these nutrients everyday. Also the Omega 3 and 6 are essential fatty acids, its one of the few categories your body cannot produce from other things it has in reserve. So we have to get it from things we eat.

Okay lets put the nutrition stuff to the side. So this stored body fat we have is essentially stored energy. So one sustainable way to reduce our body fat is to walk it off. That is what I said, just walk it off. It is not flashy but it is safe and the right way to go in my opinion. One hardcore option you could go with is to go for your walk right when you wake up, that is before you eat anything. The logic is because your body has not taken in any fuel over your sleeping period you are forcing it to tap into fat reserves faster than if you walked after some sort of meal. If you are walking after breakfast most people believe the first approximately twenty minutes are fuels you obtained from your breakfast. So try and walk for at least one hour so 40 minutes are fueled from fat reserves.

Also just before you head out for your walk I would like you to get in the habit of gently rotating or moving back and forth all of you joints one by one. After a few days of walking are under your belt. I would like you to start gently stretching your muscles as part of your walks. So this would be gently rotate all your joints, then walk away from your house for 5 minutes turn around and walk back for 5 minutes, then spend sometime gently stretching, then go for your hour walk. We are gently stretching, and when your stretching try and gently move into the stretch for at least one minute per stretch. Our goal is Not to get as far into the stretch as quickly as possible. Our goal is to listen to our bodies and relax the muscles we are trying to stretch. Try and breath slowly, exhaling as you stretch and inhaling as you come back from the stretch. Since one exhale is hard to time with trying to hold a minute stretch. We exhale for as long as we can while stretching, and when its time to inhale, we inhale while stopped in the stretch, then continue gently stretching when its time to exhale. It will take sometime for you to work out how your body likes to do this, but it is okay.

We do not take stretching seriously in North America on the whole. Maybe gymnasts, dancers, and martial artists, but it really does deserve a higher priority. If it was up to me the fitness trinity of nutrition, workout, and rest would be expanded to include breathing and stretching. So to be clear on this I know this works for me, and I believe it will work for you!

One other important point. It is really important you are not overtaxing yourself with the pace of your walk. You should be able to speak normally to someone who was walking beside you, if you are out of breath you are walking to fast. We do not want your heart rate to rise to levels on par with aerobic activities. When your heart rate is rises above certain points dependent on your fitness level, different mixes of things are used to provide the energy to continue the activity. We want to stay at the lower levels of heart rate.

This way is safer, but one drawback is once you are finished walking there is little pass on effect. That is one of the bonus effects of high aerobic activities, once the activity stops your metabolism continues to burn at a higher rate for a good portion of the rest of the day as long as you do not sleep. One of the main ways to strengthen the heart is the other big aerobic activity bonus. As long as your body is ready for that kind of strain. But you can move into those types of activities later when your body is ready.

Grimjin

Post by Grimjin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Wanted to post some kind of chart for target heart rates while working out based on your age. So the idea is to find the range for your age and stay in the middle of the range.

Training Zone
Beats per minute
Age.....60%......75%

Grimjin

Post by Grimjin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Not all fats are the same, but there is one we really need to try and eliminate altogether from what we eat. Trans fat or saturated fat. I think these substances were created to add shelf life to packaged foods. So when the world falls into collapse, we might be forced to eat this stuff to prevent starvation.

Substances are made of various atoms linked together in chains. Depending on whats contained in the chain determines what kind of shape the the molecule takes on. Based on how they are shaped and notched determines how they interact with other molecules shapes and notches. So poly-unsaturated fats have many open notches to interact with other substances. Mono-unsaturated has one open notch, and is considered the best category but I am not sure of the reason. Trans fat or saturated fats has no open notches and does not like to play with others. I think the fact that the notches are closed makes the chain more stable than the other forms of fat, hence its preservative quality. Also I think most of these fats are more of a solid at room temperature, like lard they need to be heated to become liquid.

This is the main reason I do not trust packaged goods anymore! Basically you should only buy food from the outside walls of the supermarket. All your meat, fish, chicken, milk, dairy, fruits and vegetables are along the outer walls.

I have been using the white nutrition facts label to read what various things contain. First thing I check for is 0% trans, then I look at other fats, how much carbohydrate and of that how much is sugar, and finally how much fiber is contained in a serving. I just found out last week if the trans fat percentage is less than a half a percent, the company can legally state 0% on the nutrition facts label. So now I also have to check all the ingredients for the words partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated. If you see these words then the product contains trans fat.
Last edited by Grimjin on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimjin

Post by Grimjin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Simple carbohydrates are foods your body can break down very quickly into sugar. Once a certain level of sugar is in your bloodstream [often referred to as a sugar spike], your body is forced to release insulin into your bloodstream to try and control the excessive sugar levels. While the insulin is in your blood you will not burn fat and the excess sugar gets stored as body fat if it cannot be used for immediate energy functions. This description is simplistic but it is the best I am capable of providing.

So since almost every packaged food contains large amounts of sugar, most of us spend the whole day repeating the above cycle. I am not even going to comment on the liter plus bottles of pop or energy drinks. Please drink more water.

I have seen some posters refer to the glycemic index. This is a way of comparing foods to glucose [sugar]. The glucose is set at 100 and foods get a number on the scale, the closer they are to 100 the closer your body treats them as sugar. Usually the amount of calories contained in the food is also considered in its rating. So foods with lower sugar and lower caloric values get the lower numbers. This system works and is a good way to lay a solid foundation to change your food choices.

Basically all the things you like to eat score high. potatoes, white pasta, white rice, pizza, white bread, cakes, cookies, bagels, muffins, etc. Even a lot of the sweeter fruits are not recommended when you are trying to lose weight. Fruits offer a lot of things with their fructose so its probably worth the sugar. I think getting a GI book is a worthy investment.

I would like to see you try and eat the carbohydrates with at least 3 grams of fiber per serving. In general the simple carbohydrates have been processed [stripped of their fiber] so their lower fiber content is the main reason our bodies break them down so fast.

In simplistic terms females should work on getting 25 grams of fiber per day and males 35 to 40 grams. Now there are males who are 4 feet tall and weigh 140 pounds, and females who are 6 feet 5 inches tall and weigh 230 pounds. So those numbers are relative. But once you start to eat foods with increased fiber, you will take longer to process the meals and feel full for longer periods of time. Try and increase the fiber gradually, your body is set up to process crappy low fiber foods. It will have to make changes to your digestive system to deal with the larger fiber content.

Soluble fiber helps your body clean out the cholesterol, and is found in fruits, beans, oatmeal and barley. Insoluble fiber helps in bowel activities and is found in vegetables, whole wheat, and cereals.

KieTHJaCk

Post by KieTHJaCk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 am

One is putting your body in a sling and then lowering you into a pool of water to measure specific gravity. Think there is a new egg shaped chamber you can sit inside for a certain amount of time to get to get accurate readings.

johnson33

Post by johnson33 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:29 am

Grimjin wrote:Hi all! Been reading the fitness challenge thread, and I salute those who have picked up the gauntlet. Cheer! Hopefully this thread provides a starting point for concepts and information to help you along your fitness journey.

To start with I have no certificates, diplomas, or degrees on this subject matter. From an educational viewpoint I have a 3-year diploma in Business Administration Marketing, IFIC [Mutual Funds Designation], and a Certificate in International Trade. From a participation viewpoint physical education in every year of high school including coaching training, judo, karate, kung fu, and the gym membership experience. I am just the average dude trying to improve my health. So, to sum up I basically listened to what other people tell me to do, then try and do it! Over my time in martial arts I dislocated my right knee ten times and my left 4, Doctor told me to give it up, and it only took 13 more injuries for me to agree with him.

But those injuries taught me the most important lesson, I needed to learn what works for me! I need to pursue things that make me stronger and more healthy. I am hoping to introduce some fitness concepts in this thread for you to consider, adapt and implement, or consider, reject and move on. I am not interested in being right, in fact if I am proven wrong then that means someone has correctly modified one of the fitness concepts. So please feel free to chime in, add, stretch, bend anything you run viagra pills online across in this thread. I believe this community is very well suited for this, you already read and evaluate information for its relevance.
I like the topic Sustainable Fitness :) and I was thinking on that previously.. it is not easy to keep fit. but it is very easy to be fat specially with these life responsibilities -work, kids.. about 70% of people suffer obesity. thanks for your important post.
Last edited by johnson33 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bronzeback40
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Bronzeback40 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm a firm believer in aerobic exercise. When I was 14 I has a serious weight problem so my parents got me "Aerobics:(subtitle here)" by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, USAF, Ret. Dr. cooper described the benefits of good cardiovascular health and even put together a system to measure your success. Best part: the 35 point week. So easy a gamer can understand it.
The first week I struggled to hit 15 points, the next week the 15 became easy, til the end of summer I was doing 35-40 points. i'd lost 30+ lbs, but the big thing was that I felt better, didn't get winded after a flight of stairs, my acne had cleared up, and I slept better and needed less of it.
What, you think you're the only one who's mastered the ancient art of the nunchaku?