Krelian's Weight Loss Challenge

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Krelian's Weight Loss Challenge

Post by Krelian » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:41 am

Thank you MWG for starting this weight loss challenge!

I used to be really active when I was in high school but that changed due to university studies and later work. I'm 27 years old now and my body really isn't in the same shape as it used to be. One of the main reasons why is because of some injuries from a couple of years ago.
The thing is, I've been practicing karate for over 10 years now but a couple of years ago I tore a muscle in my leg. After that injury everything went down hill. I started walking around a lot to get some exercise but stupid as I was I used kind of cheap and bad shoes so my feet became inflamed. Because of foot pain I couldn't exercise. Just walking and getting out of bed was really painful. I also managed to get back problems and now my knees are starting to ache...something needs to be done!

I am about 176cm tall and probably weigh around 80kg(don't have a scale so I need to confirm that). It might not seem like much but I used to weigh 73kg 3 years ago and I can both feel and see the difference. I'm not aiming for a certain weight, I just want to feel and look better. What I weigh doesn't really matter that much.

To make sure that I don't just sit down and slack all the time I have decided to do something. My plan is to start of with biking pretty much every day. This should be a decent all round workout without putting too much stress on back, feet and knees. It will probably actually be good for them and help me treat these problem areas. My main problem right now is those areas and I really need to start stretching out my muscles as well because they are getting too short which puts stress on my entire body.

I haven't even touched my bike for like 2 years so I was happy to see that it was still in working order and people had left it alone in the bike shed. (My last bike actually got stolen from there even though it was locked)
I actually just came back from a short bike ride before writing this. My standard route will just be around town. Since I live in such a small community biking around town isn't really such a long ride. The route I took today was only 4,5km and it took me 16 minutes.

I will also try to do some karate, kettle bells and situps and such to some extent, depending on time and energy.

At least it's a start!

Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Krelian's Weight Loss Challenge

Post by Krelian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am

Just got back from a 8km bike ride. Feels good to be exercising a little again!
Time to do some push ups, situps and then stretch.

Krelian
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Krelian's Weight Loss Challenge

Post by Krelian » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 am

I guess I've found my standard route that I'll stick to.
It's the pink line.

It's only about 5,5km long but it's good for everyday exercise. When I feel that I have both energy and time I'll probably bike the route several times in a go.

Oh and I bought a bathroom scale. My average weight during the day is 81kg(178lbs) right now.
I guess if I have to aim for a target weight I'd say 75kg(165lbs), which means that I have to lose 6kg(13lbs).
We'll see how it goes.
I already have a good idea of what to buy myself as a reward if I succeed. :D