30 Pounds in 90 Days - Challenge Accepted

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

30 Pounds in 90 Days - Challenge Accepted

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Hey all,

I'm gonna go ahead and be joining in the fun here. Hopefully I can lose a few pounds. I'm hoping to be joining the military once I finish up my last year of college (graduating Spring 2012), trouble is I'm too heavy. I stand somewhere between 75" and 77"... Big range, I know. But it really depends on who is measuring me, most of the family and nurses that do it have a hard time actually making sure the bar is level, it seems. United States Air Force (my preferred branch) requirements call for a weight of between 220 and 231 for this height range.

Right now, I weigh in at 257. So, I'm hoping to drop the full 30 pounds this summer, and maybe a hair more. My plan is simple, hopefully it will work out:

1) Drink more water.
* I'm a heavy soda drinker, as anyone that knows me can tell you. But, I'm hoping to shift that over to primarily water and milk, with possibly some earl grey tea in the morning if I need a hint of caffeine to wake up.

2) Exercise more.
* Nothing to strenuous, mind you. But, I've got a few workout DVDs for some guided work-outs. Plus, I've got a nice mile-long footpath across from my house for some nice walking / jogging / running.

3) Snack less.
* This one will be another doosy. I'm a "bored eater", have a bad habit of picking up a cookie or a bag of chips to eat more because I don't know what else to do than because I actually am hungry. I'm hoping to switch that up with the drinking, going for a glass of water instead of munching on some chips.

And now, for the next important part... the reward. Yes, yes, I know what people are thinking. Being able to do what I want to do... being healthier... feeling more comfortable with the way I look... those are all rewards in and off themselves, right? Well, while I do agree with all that, I work best on a more visible reward system as well...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1860243

I've been wanting one of those for a while now for my Imperial Guard army... And, hey, the price is only about 3.3x the amount of weight I need to loose... interesting... OK, I won't pull you guys along any more. I'll do a weigh-in (and add a response here) every Wednesday. For every pound under my previous weigh-in, I'll add $3.50 into my "Pounds to Stormlord" fund. Ideally, once this summer is over and I'm back at college for my last year, I'll be doing so building a Stormlord.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: 30 Pounds in 90 Days - Challenge Accepted

Post by Amael » Thu May 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Pretty good idea Flames, good luck! :)

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Fri May 27, 2011 9:52 am

Day 1 True:

So, here we go. Last few days have more been trying to get it into my head that I'll be doing this. So, even though I'm still very much intending to "stop" with everyone else on August 24th, I'm only just now really getting my exercise regime up.

So, I've started today with a late morning (up at 0900, after opting to sleep in an extra hour after my alarm went off at 0800). I'm intending to try to push that back some, hopefully getting up closer to 0600 / 0700 on a daily basis. But, as I don't know my summer work hour yet, I'm not sure I can get a full night sleep and still wake up at that time.

I've got my weeks pretty much settled out, somewhat. They'll follow a schedule like this:

Friday: DVD Workout Increase (adding another 10 minute regime to my workout)
Saturday: Outdoor Walk / Jog /Run Increase
Sunday: Rest and recovery (Light Outdoor Walk)
Monday: DVD Workout
Tuesday: Outdoor Walk / Jog / Run
Wednesday: DVD Workout
Thursday: Outdoor Walk / Jog / Run

I'm sure it's probably not the smartest think to ramp up my workout right before taking a break, but I don't get along horribly well with my dad and have no interest in spending even 10 minutes stealing away his TV to do my workout. And since he just sits around the house every weekend nowadays... Well, it'll be easier just to do some walking or jogging outside on the weekends. Who knows, maybe I can get my bike fixed up and make Sunday a fun day with some bike riding... *Suddenly very hopefully about the idea* Will keep in touch on that subject. At least, for this weekend, it will be outdoor running.

Also, I'm thinking about doing a vLog on the weigh-in days. Not overly certain about that one, yet... Guess we'll know for certain come June 1st.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Sat May 28, 2011 6:52 am

Day 2 True:

Boy do I ever feel out of shape now. I was a high school cross country runner, not one of the best, mind you, but I was at least pretty decent. And I got up this morning to do a lap around the local track... Made it a quarter of a mile at a jogging pace before I had to wheel back to a walk. On the bright side, my body did kinda coax me into doing a second lap, but still.

So, it's looking like this week's running pattern will be as follows:

1/4 on | 1/4 off | 1/4 on | 1/4 off | 1/4 on | 1/4 off | 1/4 on | 1/4 off

I want to try and coax myself up to a full run for the 1/4 on portions, rather that just a jog. But, we'll see how that goes. Tomorrow's just a nice, relaxing 1 mile walk.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Day 3 True:

Well then, today was a bit of a fail day, all things considered. Ended up having three glasses of soda and no workout...

OK, so it really wasn't too bad. I ended up deciding that giving up soda completely was just something I couldn't do, so I decided to just wheel it back to one glass a day. So far, apart from today, it's been working out pretty well. Of course, my upcoming work times (Busch Gardens in a Pepsi place, I prefer Coke) is a large drive behind me minimizing my soda addiction.

As far as the lack of workout goes, I was sore, OK? Today was designated a recovery day anyways, so the lack of actual exercise isn't going to be horribly bad. Just means I've got to actually keep working at it the next few days.

The depressing thing is, I haven't really been seeing a lot of weight change. And, by that, I mean even a pound or two... But, that's the reason why I'm only marking things every week. Knowing I have another few days before I "need" to see a change makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Mon May 30, 2011 5:41 am

Weight loss is a funny thing. I was actually told by the guy who ran my NHS Diet program that most people actually see a gain of weight in their first week of eating right and exercising, even though they've been really good. It's that first weigh-in that ends up depressing people and making them say "Well, what's the point?".

The body works on a cycle of between 4 and 10 days, metabolism-wise. It might be that this first week you seem to have gained weight, but next week the weight looks to have just dropped off of you in one huge chunk. Whatever you do, don't despair over it and just keep going. Chances are that you've done damned-well on your first week, but your metabolism hasn't really figured out that you're making it work harder.

Weight-loss is a slow process as well. We might be able to pack the weight on and actually see ourselves increase in size, but getting that weight to shift is a much harder and longer challenge. You don't see the results so much as read the numbers on the scale, but the day you end up needing to tighten your belt past the notch that's a little more worn/stretched than the others is a good day. Soon after the trousers will end up slipping anyway, or there'll be so much slack around the waist you'll be saying "Dammit, these were my favourites!".

All in all, don't get disheartened by the results Flame. I'm fully expecting to have gained weight even though I've been good and stuck to my regime, simply because it's what happens. If you want, I am more than happy to scan up all the NHS documents I've got and PM them to you so you can see I'm not just feeding you bull :) Plus they're damned useful for planning meals and looking up exercise benefits anyway...

Stick with it, fella. You'll get there!!!

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Tue May 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Day 5 True:

So, you may notice I neglected to mention anything about a workout or what not yesterday. Well... yeah... Yesterday kinda fell through. Was doing a good bit of shuffling around and what not, but no true exercise. In part because I was sore, in part because I wanted to start up an 8 week train-to-run-a-5K program which called for using Monday's as a rest day.

Well, then came today. Guess what? Yep, you guessed it, I failed to get up early enough to beat the heat. By the time I stepped outside, it was already a hot, sticky 80-some-odd degrees. So, it was looking like I wasn't going to be doing any exercise today either. But, at least I've been sticking to a three meal a day, no snack, minimal soda (actually, don't think I've even had a glass these past two days) diet plan. So, I figured, hey, that's gotta count for something.

But then, my dad came home commenting about needing to get some yard work done. DING! Lightbulb went off. I went out and helped him in the 90-ish degree heat to move some nice, hefty bags up front for trash pick up tomorrow. Bit dangerous, given the heat, but it was quite rewarding. Why? Well, my old 18-speed bike has been collecting dust and enjoying two flat tires for probably a good five or six years now in the shed behind my dad's riding lawnmower. But, since he was using it to tractor around the bags... easy pickings. He and I got it out, filled up the tires, fixed the leak in the front tire, tweaked the brakes, oiled the gears, and I now have a working bike again. Took her out for a quick warm-up and mile lap after dinner. Might have done more, but I didn't have any of my water bottles handy and I didn't feel like pushing myself in the heat. Finally, a plan I can really stick behind. Good old biking.

See y'all tomorrow with my first vLog and weigh-in. It's looking like I might be on track, too. Even with the low *cough*no*cough* exercise days.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am

Day 6 True:

Well, afraid I've got some bad news. As much as I was hoping to have a vLog for you, I can't seem to get my webcam to record anything for me. So, that's kinda out of the picture. Other trouble is, my digital camera doesn't save in a format I can edit in my cheap Windows Movie Maker. Plus, I've got to get my mom's car over to the dealership to get worked on. So, I don't have time to tinker around with anything more. I might make a vLog later on, but it'll be more general chat and what not, rather than the big reveal about weight loss.

So, today is June 1st. That means, first in-challenge weigh-in. Horray! Well, more like... yay. Why? Well, I did lose weight, but I'm only down 2 pounds to 255. I'm not overly disheartened. It seems to me that my diet is working. Now, I just need to start ramping up my exercising and, ideally, the pounds will start to shed off. At least, if I can continue this trend, I'll hit my goal of dropping 30 pounds by the end of summer.

Plus, I'm not $7 closer to that nice Stormlord. Just 28 more pounds to go...

As far as exercise goes, I do want to mention this before I run off. Managed to get a nice morning bikeride in. Hit roughly 4 miles today. Gotta be at work at 8 tomorrow, and it's about 30 - 45 minutes away. So, I'm not sure how I'll get in a pre-work workout, so I'll probably end up doing a lighter one later on in the afternoon. We'll see how it goes.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Day 7 True:

Light day FAIL! So, I spent most of the morning and early afternoon at work. What I thought was suppose to just be 0800 to 1200 ended up being 0800 - 1500. And, mind you, I've got a 30 - 45 minute drive to and from work. So, even though I got up at 0615, I really didn't have any time for a morning workout. This isn't trying to work up an excuse, this is just explaining my day.

So, I got off work, settled down for a bit, and decided that I needed an easy day, something to actually keep me in the mood to work out, but still not overly stress my body. To which end a 1.5 mile (2.4 km) seemed perfect. The bike/walk path over at the local park is, basically, two inter-locked 1 mile loops and a 1.5 mile loop. Hence my use of mile or 1.5 mile increments to my biking. Trouble was, once I was on my bike and ready to get to biking, I decided that 1.5 miles seemed just a bit too little after yesterday's 4 mile performance. So, I went ahead and made a 2 mile figure 8... Which left me feeling unfulfilled... So I went for another 2 mile figure 8. So, in the end, I pulled off a second 4 mile day. And the best part was, it was a lot easier than yesterdays. I'll admit, I'm not sure whether that's my body adjusting to the bike again or because I did two figure 8s instead of two long loops and a quick short loop... Probably could have gone for a third figure 8 today, but my water bottle was already starting to warm up and I've had enough warm water for one day.

So, it looks like a 4 mile bike ride is my baseline. Time to start building up from there.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

Day 8 True:

Well then, I got a bit out of order this morning... Normally I have a bowl of cereal and then go out for my biking. Today, though, I ended up biking, then a shower, then my bowl of cereal. Shouldn't hurt too much though.

Anyways, got in 6 miles (~9.6 km) today. I gotta say, comparing my numbers to Mike's makes me feel lazy. But, I'm doing progressing. Maybe I'll feel up to adding another 2 miles later on. Though, with all that being said, I really need to get a nicer seat for my bike. The one I have is pretty hard on my rump.

Gotta hurry off, though.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:45 am

Day 9 True:

So, the real joy of the day. I get to be at work from about 12 today until, possible, as late as 10 tonight, if not later. Plus, tomorrow, I get to turn around and start work at 7 at my other job. Gonna be a run run run weekend for me.

But, I managed to get in my morning biking. The new gel seat cushion I got worked well enough, though I'll admit it didn't help the troubles of an already sore rump. I may lay off the biking for tomorrow and do a walk or other exercise, just to give my rear end a bit of relaxation. However, I did manage to pull off a personal best this morning. Biked a nice, respectable 10 miles (16 km) today... 5 two-mile figure 8s with a short water break in between. Sad thing is, I was only managing to pull off a roughly 12 mile an hour pace with the breaks and a phone call from dad. So, it seems, if I want to do better than 10 to 12 miles a day, I either need more time in the morning to bike (I've only been allowing myself an hour or so) or I need to get my speed up. Heck, both would work too. We'll see how this goes.

By the way, we'll all know with certainty after I report it on the 8th, but I think I might be down around 250. Which, if true, means my metabolism is starting to kick in and I've only got to drop another 3 pounds on top of that to be out of the obese range. And, I should be comfortably into just the "overweight" BMI range when I go for my yearly physical in early July. Guys, I gotta say, even if my recorded losses aren't as great as some of the others, this decline is doing wonders for me. Everything I shed, whether I end up above or below my goal weight at the end of August... if I keep it off, I'm going to be ecstatic.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:39 am

Day 10 True:

Well, it seems as though even mother nature agrees with me that I needed a short rest from the biking as a rather large thunderstorm rolled in this morning. So, not much to report today. Looking forward to getting back on the bike tomorrow. Now, off to work.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 am

Day 11 True:

Well, things are looking a bit up and up, thankfully. Got back on the bike this morning, no where near as sore as I have been and the gel seat cushion helped... a lot. Also, changed up my schedule a bit. Instead of my normal tactic of biking for two miles, taking a break, having some water, and then starting up again, I just biked straight through. I only stopped for a short moment to get a sip of my water, then it was right back to riding. Longest break I had was to talk to a new police officer that wanted to know a bit about the trails I was biking on (I just happened to be about to cross the road when he pulled up).

Now, the big build up. I managed to hit 12 miles (19.2 km) today. But, I ended up using up all the water in my little 1/2 liter water bottle. So, I've got myself two little treats coming up after my second paycheck (first is gonna go towards helping to pay off my car). The first is a trip to the nearest sporting goods store. At the moment, I'm biking without a helmet (legal as I'm over 18, but not exactly safe). So, I'm planning to use that paycheck towards a new helmet as well as a camelpack. The reason for this extra amount of water is quite simple.

I am planning on giving myself a "Congratulations, one month down!" gift. I've sticking pretty close to the goal, as it would seem, and I have little doubt that I shall have dropped 10 pounds by the 24th of June. As such, I'm gearing up to prepare for an 18-ish mile (~28.8 km) round trip. Why, you ask? Well, the only place around me here that sells Games Workshop items is about 9 miles away. Yep, you guessed it, I'm planning on biking down to the local store on one of my days off to pick up a Citadel Finecast Lord Commissar. Admittedly, unless I really start being able to speed up, we're talking about a two hour trip. (Little under an hour to get there, pick up the model, then a little under an hour to get back) But, for the hobby and the workout, it'll be oh so worth it.

The only trick now is to make sure I drop the 10 pounds this month so all my hope and planning won't be for naught. Here's hoping.

Best of luck to all!
Flame'N'Snow

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:07 am

Well done Flame :) Those CamelBaks are awesome, I've got a 2-litre one from when I used to go Airsofting a couple of years back. I keep meaning to dig it out and clean it just in case I get to the point where I want to risk getting a bike or something, but I never do...

Good luck on the LABR (Long-A**-Bike-Ride) and post pictures of the Commissar once he's finished! It's a reward for doing well on your Weight-Loss Challenge, and thus relevant to the WLC! :D (Really I just like seeing uber models...)

Good luck :)

Flame'n'Snow
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Flame'n'Snow » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 am

Day 12 True:

Alright, so I wimped out a bit. No need to rub it in. Or, maybe, a good need? I'm not really sure. Anyways, was out on my morning bike ride and, dear lord was it hot out today! If it was just 78, as the weather channel had said, I might have been alright. But, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I tried my best, but I could only max out at 12 miles again today. I'm thinking I'm going to have to start getting up an hour earlier to try and beat the heat.

Also, I have two work-out ideas that I'd kind of like critiqued:

1) After just be able to hit 12 miles today, I'm thinking about doing a build week / plateau week system with my biking. Basically, one week I build up my distance by about 2 miles a day, and then the next I sit at that final distance to let my body adjust to it. Sound good or counter-productive?

2) A Luna's posted Evil Russian Push-Up Regime... Is it really that bad if I miss a few hours in the day? I work culinary, so I can't exactly drop onto the floor and do even one push-up. Trust me, even with a thorough washing of my hands after and the daily cleaning, I don't want to be touching the stick of that floor... But, I'm thinking I want to try and pick it up starting next week, at least to try it out and see if it works for me alongside the biking.