Amael's 30lb Tortur-er, Challenge Acceptance

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Amael's 30lb Tortur-er, Challenge Acceptance

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I do have a giant bag of Australian Brown Calrose rice in my cupboard... maybe I'll cook a few cups of it and leave them in the fridge for light snacking.

I grabbed a 6" turkey flatbread from Subway tonight... and I'm still pretty darn hungry :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 pm

keep at it Amael, if your shin hurts it could be shin splints ( hope not), don't forget a brisk walk is good for the cardio too and is less punishing on the joints and rest of the body. build up slowly, it's not a sprint and nothing kills the motivation like being injured.

Doug
"Dying only hurts until your dead, so quit your crying and die already"

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 am

@ Mike - Subway is actually pretty good; I used to get a foot-long and eat half for lunch and the other half a few hours later as dinner. It was great having something actually tasty and satisfying when I was on a 12-hour shift in a Taxi Office a few years back :) I think I'll be hard-boiling some eggs for breakfast this morning, as well as a few extra for the next couple of days too :)

@ Doug - Yep, I agree that injury does screw over the desire to exercise. I'm not pushing myself too hard, but I'm not being over-easy on myself either. I know that losing weight isn't an easy little stroll, so I'm not going to pretend it is as an excuse to be lazy :P Besides, other people are working harder than I am, and we're all doing well I think :) I just need some Ibuprofen and lessons on how to walk properly, apparently :shock:

So, I did write this reply when I woke up at 05:50hrs, but then my BlackBerry died and I was left laid in bed with a dead 'phone and nothing else to do. I tried going back to sleep but the room is too bright (even with the black-out curtains) and I'm not actually tired... So, since I laid there until 07:20 trying to sleep, I'll be awake now and watch a little of the footage from E3 while hoping that today's the day my Tyranid Battleforce box arrives. Once it does, then I'm magnetizing for the first time ever! :}

Right, my plan for today;

-10 Push-ups
-Go down to the kitchen, set eggs boiling (maybe like, 4 or something? 2 for now, 2 for later)
-100% Evil Russian Push-Up Regime Test
-Set now-charged 'phone for a 60-minute timer, and then do 35% of my total Push-Ups every 60 minutes throughout today. NO CHEATING!!!
-Do a couple of slices of toast and a large glass of water, and enjoy breakfast with my girlfriend before she goes to work

Extra stuff to do throughout the day:
-Check the stuff around the house and MAYBE make bread today. I don't ever really cook or bake or anything, apart from about 2 months back when I made bread for some random reason. I'll do that again, because it was pretty good :)
-Scrub my girlfriend's Orks clean of paint and Dettol. No Simple Green over here in the UK, it's just plain old antiseptic that works about as well, apparently!
-Go for a walk for a while... maybe an hour or so. I'll see! :D

Anyways, another long post by me... I'll get up soon (because I've been writing for about 30 minutes) and the alarm is about to go off...

Keep up the good work! :D

PS @ Mike - That sting must suck. And to think, if you hadn't worn a helmet for safety, you'd have been fine! :/ I hate irony.

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:40 am

First off, anyone who might have read my log within the last couple of hours might notice that a rather long post I put up is now missing...

I'm sorry I posted a rant about something completely unrelated to the weight-loss challenge; this isn't the forum for it, nor is it necessary information. I was a bit peeved by the circumstances and vented...

I've taken it down because I felt that, while an accurate summation of my situation, it wasn't relevant. Please accept my apologies, and hopefully I can sort out the stuff that caused the post to be written in the first place.

Keep up the good work, and good luck with your challenge!

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:49 pm

We all have to vent sometimes! I wouldn't worry too much about it ;)
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 am

Sooooooooo it's Friday...

I'm a lot more chilled now, I think I've had time to relax a bit and become not as full of Grrrr as before :P Hopefully I can stay that way for a few weeks :) I don't lose my temper or rant often, but when I do it's very cathartic and only once in a blue moon :D

So, apart from a small lapse yesterday which involved trying another Chinese restaurant as a possible venue for the Graduation Celebration, and only walking instead of jogging today (the Couch-to-5K is taking a break for a week, maybe... I will instead be walking for an hour- but no Vlogging while I do so, I'm afraid! That's Matt's thing.), I have actually done alright. 'Proper' push-ups are actually killing me, I think. My core is really taking a pounding, almost as much as my arms... :S

Anyway, things have been alright I suppose. I have spent my day toying with a business idea I had yesterday morning before everything kicked off, and have researched it a little bit. Cheap start-up, cheap running costs unless I get stupid amounts of business (but it will pay for itself in that case) and fairly unique as a premise; there's nothing like it in the UK...

My poor girlfriend... I commented on Matt's Jog-a-Vlog the other day (June 8th) and was pleasantly surprised that he replied to the challenge my girlfriend asked me to post... I really didn't expect it, and neither did my girlfriend who immediately went tomato-red, started laughing and tried to shut me up as I laughed :P Just in case you think that's a bit mean of me, I was giving her a foot-massage at the time... I think I was justified :P Oh, and as I'm writing this she's asked me to write "That's the only reason I was watching it anyway..." :) It isn't the reason she was watching it :P I think she likes the idea of Matt's wargames, but isn't keen on the Jog-a-Vlogs not being segmented and concise like a Beat Matt Bat-Rep. Her excuse is that they're broken into smaller chunks that deal with the turns seperately, and that she has a short attention span. This is totally at odds with the way she can while away the hours programming or painting :P She got more painted in her first month of collecting 40K than I got done in over a year...

Anyway, enough of this; time to go and cook something. Some leftovers from the restaurant that seem vaguely healthy and some rice...

Good luck with your challenges, and keep up the good work :)

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 am

I am now 103.9kg, or 229lbs :D I think that's an improvement over last time... Is it? :S I'll look back.

EDIT: Bugger me :shock: That's a total loss so far of 7.4kg, or 16.3lbs... What the hell?!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Dude, congrats! That's a freaking awesome start to the challenge :D
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

It's a damnably sharp drop :shock: now I just have to keep it off... and that's the hardest part :}

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am

Hello again everyone :)

I surprised myself a hell of a lot the other day when I weighed in, and although I'm happy about losing the weight I'm still a bit shell-shocked by it. I mean, seriously, I haven't been -that- good over the last few days due to my leg and the restaurants and the like... :? I'll just have to be very sure that I behave this week...

Which should actually be a little easier. I'm heading out today (it's the 13th here, now) to hand out a bunch of CVs to different stores and bars and the like in the city centre, and I'll be doing that on Tuesday and Wednesday too. This means a fair amount of walking, which should be easier on my leg than jogging. I've decided I'll give the Couch-to-5K a rest for a few days and then start again at the very lowest level, but will walk to hopefully try and retain a little of the progress I made.

On Wednesday night I will be heading back to my hometown for a few days as well, just to do a little house-sitting and look after my family's three cats. They're little terrors, so just running around after them should be a fairly good workout.

I also made a start on my Tyranid Battleforce today; I ended up trawling eBay for a few bargains in order to expand quickly, and then put together my first Warrior as a Prime. Magnetized, of course. :twisted:

So, I think I'm set for the week... I definitely need to make sure I am not going crazy on food and stuff and I need to be careful not to become complacent or overconfident in my progress. Other than that, I think it's actually going to be a pretty uneventful week, but we can hope for a little excitement, eh? :)

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:22 am

If I could sum up today's post in one word, it would be "Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...".

My feet ache a fair bit, and it is all my fault :D I decided (like the clever boy I am) to walk places today, and do a fairly decent walk at that... On par with some of my walked routes when I was delivering leaflets. In smart shoes and thin socks.

Yes, I am very Special. And not 'Special Character' Special.

So, after my first walk (8:50 to 9:10am) from my flat to the Job Centre, I got a break of about 10 minutes while I signed-on and got everything sorted. I also had a look for more jobs while I was there...

Afterwards, I walked for 2.5 hours. I walked around the city centre, I doubled-back on myself in case I missed a store to drop my CV in to, I did a LOT of walking and then decided I would go and visit my old place of work... that walk took about 1 hour on its own.

Then, after a break to eat lunch with all the old crowd (bar a few) and a little chat with my ex-boss, I got a lift back to the city centre (where I started out) and then went to buy some drinks. The drinks I wanted were sold out. It took another 20 minutes of walking to find that out before finally setting off back home, which in turn took yet another 40 minutes. I would have sat down, but the washing-up needed doing, so I ended up standing there for another 15 minutes. My legs are screwed for today, and I have never been happier :D

Blisters... will probably arrive very soon, but today was totally worth it :D

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 am

how's the push-up regime going?
Things paying off yet?
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:01 am

A Luna wrote:how's the push-up regime going?
Things paying off yet?
Hey A Luna :D Erm, well, y'see the thing with the Push-Up Regime is- LOOK A DISTRACTION! *exits, Stage Right*

I have pretty much ignored doing the push-ups, which is wrong. I've been struggling with them because of my general lack of core strength, and then with my leg playing up as well I've pretty much let it fall by the wayside and become naught but good intentions...

That said, when I take up jogging again in 2 days, I shall also take up the ERPUR again. I owe it to myself to get on with it, and as such I will :) But if I keep slacking, pull me up on it and give me a 'Rollicking' :}

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:24 am

Heh!
Well it states clearly in the ERPUR (took me a while to figure that out :roll: ) that whenever you get pain ANYWHERE you should stop or cut back. If you have pain and continue, you'd only destroy muscles.

If you want to burn away fat, then hiking/cycling/etc is the way to go. May I suggest that this thing called 'spinning' is very very calory burning?

Once been told it burns 1000 calories an hour if you do it right. Don't forget that you can walk 10 miles a day but if you eat 10 BigMacs a day, you will still gain weight. So go to water (lots of it) and tea, and ofcourse; good food!
Check out some internet sites (I only know dutch ones) which are very reliable on what kind of products are in foods. For example; we have this dutch little treat cookie which states: "64% fruits! very healthy!", but it's actually as unhealthy as possible. No fruit, just some fruit glucose. That stuff keeps you from filling up (makes you fill up later than usual) so you can keep eating; you're hungry.

Well... I'm just following a couple of threads here, thought yours looked very interesting ;) (and you did the Regime).

Good luck! Seen some results yet? If you need to boost your spirits, I'll come in and call you a little girl or something :mrgreen:
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks :D I've actually been pretty decent on the food front :) And I've only really cut back on exercise the last few days... Apart from walking for 2.5 hours today in one session, non-stop, and then walking another hour later on :}

I shall give Spinning a look, but I can proudly say I haven't had a BigMac in about 4 months :)

EDIT: And that sucks.

I've just seen the thread in the Welland Gaming Club thread about Miniwargaming looking for a Painter/Video Producer to work there. I studied Film & TV Production at University, I've had my work on Sky and UK TV, but I don't live in Canada :( Sucks! Well, those hurdles and my painting isn't anywhere near as good as Mike's :P