Cleaning out the Vault

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Vault
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Cleaning out the Vault

Post by Vault » Wed May 25, 2011 3:01 am

Well, I've known I could stand to lose weight for a while now. But I've never really followed through on any of my decisions to try and lose weight. I'll get a picture on here later when it's not one in the morning but yeah. Last I checked, and that was a month or so ago, I weighed in around 275 WRONG I'm 240... So my goal will be *at least* thirty pounds.

My Plan:
Foods:
* I drink far too much coke. I'll be replacing this with teas and water... possibly juice.
* I have no idea, I'll expand on this when I figure out what the crap I'm doing.

Exercise:
* I plan to stop driving up town, it's really not that far anyway. If I start checking the mail daily that's a thirty minute walk right there.
* I'll adjust this as I figure out what's supposed to work and what isn't.

Rewards:
* Cake!
* The Cake is a Lie, so instead I'll reward myself with Tau stuff. I'm not sure what yet as my cashflow is a bit wibbly wobbly. Luckily there's three months for me to make up my mind. >.<;
Last edited by Vault on Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Space Marines - 2333 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Re: Cleaning out the Vault

Post by Vault » Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm

*I must thank MWG for providing the boxes I stacked on my counter to get the camera to a useable height.

Well yeah >.<; I reweighed myself and I'm apparently on crack and nowhere near as heavy as I thought I was. Which isn't much of an improvement really... as I'm still 240 pounds. According to a BMI calculator I'm getting pretty close to no longer being simply 'overweight. (Scored 29.2 30 and up being Obese) 30 pounds won't get me out of the overweight bracket but it'll put me at 'just over.' From where "normal weight" is only another ten pounds away.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Vault

Post by Vault » Sat May 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Well here'll be the first test of what self control I may or may not have. My sister's Grad Party is tonight and I'm attending/supervising... copious amounts of soft drinks and various other junk foods await. >.<;
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Good luck Vault! Resist the temptations O.o

Solid_Smurf
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Solid_Smurf » Sat May 28, 2011 7:37 pm

I cut cokes and sodas out of my diet. Dropped 10lbs in a month, tea and water is the way to go!

good luck!
I might not be the best, but I've made who ever is quite nervous.
*recovering from games workshop*

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm

Well... I'm going the wrong way. I seem to have acquired an extra five pounds somewhere along the line. -.-;
This number distressed me, there's no bloody way I should have gained weight but then I realized...
I might not be eating enough to cover for the empty calories I shed from my diet when I cut coke (the drink silly) out of it. I used yesterdays "porkchop and mashed potatoes" (which was all I ate yesterday) as an example and it came up at 520 three cans of coke? 480 calories. Yesterday I would have NEEDED them to hit the threshold of 1000 calories required to avoid my body think it's starving... needless to say it didn't get them. Of course that's assuming the calorie value of soup + water is the same as soup sans water and poured over porkchops then baked to form a sort of soup/gravy. I somehow think that's higher than just regular old soup. Even my 'best case scenario' days were a couple hundred points lower than needed to hit this minimum. >.<;
So what are some ways I can healthily add calories to my diet? My BMI says I need to eat roughly 2930 calories a day to maintain my current weight... where's the happy middle ground between that and the minimum 1000? How the bloody hell do I get to that number in a "healthy" manner? Especially if I abhor any vegetable salad that isn't a simple ceasar as I detest raw tomato and cucumbers in general.
Uhm, I need help with this, if there's some of those nutritionally inclined folks who have more than half an idea what they're doing.

caveat: I could also be doing the math horribly wrong. But we've long since established i have no idea what I'm doing... right?
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Vault. Basically, about 9 out of 10 people who start on a diet and exercise usually see an increase in weight at first, simply because their bodies haven't gotten it through that they're meant to be shedding weight. I think eating more than 1000 calories per day is a definite start to stop your body from thinking you are starving yourself, but don't overdo it. Basically you can pad out meals with a bit more salad and an extra slice of bread, but don't go overboard. Maintaining a certain weight depends on you putting in exactly what you use. A guideline 2930 is for someone being active and eating right and generally being okay. I can tell you now, I tried losing weight a few years back and went for the Recommended 2000 and I ended up gaining more weight because I wasn't even using about 800 of this...

Don't get depressed about the gain, it's normal in most cases. If you see another similar gain next week, then rethink what you're doing, but for now just stick with it and chances are you'll see a fairly large drop by next weigh-in.

Good luck!

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Well I've trundled back down to my starting weight, which I suppose is a good sign. I really don't know why I expected more but the fact it didn't keep going up is a little reassuring. >.<;
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Good going Vault :D Keep at it; you should start seeing a rather steady loss per week now until you hit the next "Maintenance Level", where what you put in and what you get out have evened-up again. As soon as you get to that plateau, time to drop a bit more from the food side of things, or push yourself a bit harder at exercise :)

Just trust that you'll get there eventually, and it'll all work out! :)

Try adding unrefined pasta to your salads (sans tomato and cucumber, obviously). It's a good source of fibre and pretty good for you, diet-wise, it'll make you feel fuller for a bit longer if you keep drinking water to pad the fibre out a bit, and it'll help you get above 1000cal.

The idea is to get your body to lose slowly; if you starve yourself then you will put on weight because your body is trying to keep as much as possible for the long haul ahead. Try this;

- When you wake up, drink a full glass of water ~250ml

- Give it about 10 minutes and then eat breakfast; Cereal with or without some fruit, Wholegrain Toast and spread, Oatmeal... whatever takes your fancy, as long as you DO eat something! I never eat breakfast, pretty much, but as soon as I added it into my diet, I started losing. This was when I tried losing weight before, and got from 117kg to 108kg. Then I had 9 months of NOT eating breakfast, and I had gained again.

- Four hours later (give or take, but assuming you get up at 8 and eat lunch at 12...) have lunch. Doesn't particularly matter what, but as long as it's healthy and filling... :)

- Around 4 or 5 hours later, eat dinner. Again, doesn't matter what, but generally something you know will make you feel full at least until you get into bed... Don't over-eat or anything, but generally a lot of veg is a good baseline :) This should keep you right through the night until the morning when you start this cycle again...

- Drink water during the day. 2-3l is what's being recommended these days, I think, and it's a good level to aim for. I know the lure of sodas far too well, and once in a while is okay (so long as it is only once in a while!) despite their sugar-filled nature. Once a week is probably acceptable, but stay away from the Diet stuff; the chemicals in them can, apparently, have all kinds of horrible effects even worse in the long run than just taking the sugar-hit...

I hope this doesn't come across as preachy, or anything... I just know it can suck SO much when you don't see any progress and get disheartened, which lures you back into the cycle. If I hadn't been told everything I'm writing then I probably wouldn't have ever lost weight and I'd be bigger than I am now. As is, I still let myself fall into bad habits and screwed myself over.

You can do it Vault!!! Keep up the good work :)

Vault

Post by Vault » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks a bunch this will be very helpful. I'm not sure if it came across as preachy, it might have. But if it did I didn't notice, and wouldn't care if it had. Simply because it was helpful. :p I mean even if it winds up being wrong for me in the long run it's something to go off of, and is certainly more than I found running around the internet/library like a grot with it's head cut off. ;p
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:15 am

Now that's an amusing mental image... :D If you want I'll scan a bunch of NHS weight-loss program things and PM them to you :) They go into everything in a lot more detail and are really helpful :P I've just been dieting and working out on what I remember, so there's bound to be stuff in there that'll help :)

Vault

Post by Vault » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 am

That would be exceedingly helpful if you would do that, thank you.
Get thee to a shrimpery!
Tau - 1849 points
Necrons - 3185 points
Tyranids - 3339 points
Orks - 1300 points
Lizardmen - 938 points

Return to “MWG Wargaming Weight Loss Challenge”