Weight Loss Tips (How I lost 100lbs) **NOTE FOR MWG MIKE

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
mikey_vengeance
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Weight Loss Tips (How I lost 100lbs) **NOTE FOR MWG MIKE

Post by mikey_vengeance » Tue May 24, 2011 9:45 pm

There are a lot of misconceptions attributed to weight loss. When I left High School I was a BIG kid... probably 290lbs. I weighed about 190-200lbs through college. The trick is routines. You can't just make changes, lose the weight, and then go back to your old ways (even just a LITTLE bit).

Dieting and exercising is all well and good but beyond helping your body it CHANGES it. By changing it back it confuses your body and it overcompensates. So when you give up your habits make sure they're ones you're willing to give up PERMANENTLY! If you're not willing to give it up cold turkey forEVER then set limits that you can stick to.

**This one is for Mike. You don't need to give up coffee. The caffeine actually INCREASES your metabolism. It's when you drink it with cream, sugar or milk that it counteracts itself. By giving up black coffee you're daily metabolism is actually going to slow down and you're going to GAIN weight unless you find a suitable substitute for increasing your metabolism.

Drinking milk is also a good way, not to just lose weight, but to feel healthier. If you can though, drink skim milk (or at the most 1%). Skim milk actually has higher calcium content than Whole (or the other percentages). This is because the fat content that they "skim" off the top of the milk essentially decreases the calcium percentage by "watering it down".

However, do NOT cut fats out of your diet. This one is a no brainer but cut out Trans Fats and Saturated Fats. But you're body needs fats in order to absorb and maintain nutrients and vitamins.

Another easy and obvious one that I've noticed in a lot of your blogs already is drink lots of water. Start off with a full glass of water RIGHT when you wake up. I mean literally the second you wake up. I keep a bottle of water next to my bed every night. Your metabolism and heart rate is actually at it's slowest when you sleep (obviously), so by drinking water as soon as you wake up it "jump starts" your metabolism for the day.

When it comes to exercise you don't necessarily need to work yourself into a sweat all the time. Don't get me wrong, sweating is actually GOOD for you. It cleanses pores and is obviously a sign of a good work out. But in general just try to be more active. I rode my bike 2 miles to work and back everyday (during summer no less). Be more active consistently. Drive less (if you are a driver) and walk more. Or if you walk already take a longer route. Use the stairs more (I almost NEVER use the elevator).

Well that's all for now. I'm exhausted from work hehe. Good luck everyone!
"All mankind waits upon our decision. A whole world waits to see what we shall do. And we cannot fail that trust, and we cannot fail to try." ~JFK

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Weight Loss Tips (How I lost 100lbs) **NOTE FOR MWG MIKE

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue May 24, 2011 10:39 pm

mikey_vengeance wrote:**This one is for Mike. You don't need to give up coffee. The caffeine actually INCREASES your metabolism. It's when you drink it with cream, sugar or milk that it counteracts itself.
I'm aware of this, but frankly black coffee is nasty. I also have a dietary reason for giving up coffee (heavy cream, refined sugar, and caffiene are all triggers for a stomach problem I have), so I'm using this as justification to finally give it up.

I'm replacing it with black Orange Pekoe tea in the mornings, which has a lower but reasonably comparable caffiene level (roughly 50% depending on brewing methods involved).
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

mikey_vengeance
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mikey_vengeance » Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Ah gotcha. Well it depends what kind of coffee :D

But yeah props to ya. Good luck Mike!
"All mankind waits upon our decision. A whole world waits to see what we shall do. And we cannot fail that trust, and we cannot fail to try." ~JFK

ekimkcorb
Gold Vault Member

Post by ekimkcorb » Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I currently am 4 months into a 'fitness' binge.

I've lost easily 40 pounds, and i'd love to help share some advice.

If you're really serious about losing weight, learn about it first. Do some online research about calories, metabolism (Basal metabolic rate), what you should have in your diet, what good forms of cardio are and aren't. When, and how much you should be eating in one sitting.

These things all play a part in contributing to a weight loss goal.

If i were to give you one piece of knowledge it's this. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So don't beat yourself up for not being able to run 5k at the start, heck, it's not even as important as that extra bit of mayonnaise you spread on that sandwich.

I'd be happy to coach each and every one of you guys through your struggles. This weight loss plan has officially got me excited enough to re-visit the forums after a year long break.

Best of luck. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

- mbrock7@uwo.ca

:D

Sunstar
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Sunstar » Wed May 25, 2011 2:50 am

Basically, I want to eat what I want to, but within reason. checking the calories of one food, if it's high for a bit of nom, I will look for somethign nicer.

One of the challenges I have found in my attempt to reduce consumption is not knowing the calories in my food as I make my own bread and pasta/sauce. If I have icecream, I take a scoop and add to it fruits and berries. If I have coffee, I do not add sugar.

Moderation in snacks and healtier choices.
"Yes, right. You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose automobile as his vehical mode when he could have flight." -Starscream

mikey_vengeance
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mikey_vengeance » Wed May 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Sunstar wrote:Basically, I want to eat what I want to, but within reason. checking the calories of one food, if it's high for a bit of nom, I will look for somethign nicer.

One of the challenges I have found in my attempt to reduce consumption is not knowing the calories in my food as I make my own bread and pasta/sauce. If I have icecream, I take a scoop and add to it fruits and berries. If I have coffee, I do not add sugar.

Moderation in snacks and healtier choices.
Honestly it's the little steps like that which really make the difference in the long run. Funny you mention the ice cream thing. I've wanted to try that except with sherbert. I've heard sherbert ice cream is healthier but I was never sure.

People seem shrewd to the idea of counting calories and other nutrients. It's not the chore it's made out to be. I mean sure you don't have to be precise everyday. But taking a little extra care can make a difference.

Ugh, I wish I had the time to really invest in this challenge haha. But I have a lot as it is going on.

Cryage
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Cryage » Wed May 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
mikey_vengeance wrote:**This one is for Mike. You don't need to give up coffee. The caffeine actually INCREASES your metabolism. It's when you drink it with cream, sugar or milk that it counteracts itself.
I'm aware of this, but frankly black coffee is nasty. I also have a dietary reason for giving up coffee (heavy cream, refined sugar, and caffiene are all triggers for a stomach problem I have), so I'm using this as justification to finally give it up.

I'm replacing it with black Orange Pekoe tea in the mornings, which has a lower but reasonably comparable caffiene level (roughly 50% depending on brewing methods involved).
Black coffee is delicious! You're insane ;)

Also there is caffinee pills you can get, BUT it can affect peoples heart rates differently so i'd consult a doctor before taking them.

mikey_vengeance
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mikey_vengeance » Thu May 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Cryage wrote:
Epic Duck Mike wrote:

Black coffee is delicious! You're insane ;)

Also there is caffinee pills you can get, BUT it can affect peoples heart rates differently so i'd consult a doctor before taking them.
I agree! Black coffee is the only way to drink it! Especially with a French Press. :D