The Importance Of Water

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
smurfgoblin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

The Importance Of Water

Post by smurfgoblin » Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Water
this is the biggest and most important factor of your weight loss journey. Everything about your weight revolves around your input/output. If we exercise more due to a weight loss regime, we need to increase our water intake to remain hydrated. Hydration seems to be something that everyone underestimates.

Here are some examples of how hydration will impact your weight loss:
- if you are dehydrated your body will designate LESS water to the digestion of your solid food intake, meaning that the food that doesn't get broken down will be stored on the body as fat.

-when dehydrated, food that you believe is healthy and full of good stuff will be almost useless as your body can't pass the nutrients throughout the body. eg: after a workout, our muscles will feel sore and fatigued. with a good dose of protein your muscles will regenerate at a faster pace, but without water the protein source wont be able to be broken down in order for delivery to the required body parts.

-with the appropriate level of hydration your immune system will be a much better machine, as the immune system is designed to use water to flush out impurities from the body. an example of this is when we drink alcohol. Our bodies are smart, they believe that alcohol is a poison and when you consume it, they will do everything to reject that poison from the body. This means dehydration. Ever wondered why you need to go to the toilet frequently when drinking at a party? Your body is flushing the alcohol out of the system with water that should be assigned to other bodily functions. if you choose to drink alcohol throughout the course of your 3 months, just be sure to drink lots of water after.

- if you are hydrated before you go to sleep, your body can moderate your temperature better than if dehydrated making for long and uninterrupted sleeps.
- when we exercise our bodies try to cool us down by sending the overheated water out of the body through our pores (perspiration obviously). so quite simply, drink lots of water WHILE exercising (sip, don't guzzle or you'll just get a stitch), and AFTER exercising. During these times water that is at room temperature is far better for you than icy water from the fridge/freezer as the body doesn't have to spend so much time changing the water's temperature to suit your body's needs.
- a HUGE one that people most likely prefer not to even worry about, but is important, is that when we go to the toilet, we're OBVIOUSLY dehydrating ourselves (number 1 and 2). Consider this.
- eating solid food takes water to break it down in order to deliver the nutrients to the body. so when eating a meal, drink water with it rather than a coke.
-do your best to avoid products that have high salt content as these things can and will lower your hydration levels very rapidly.

I personally walk around with a bottle of water everywhere. I bought a 25pack of bottles of water and just refill them over and over. I have 2 liquids in my fridge: Water / Milk.

I hope that any of this information is helpful to you.

Goodluck
<S.G>
Goblins - 1500 points - WIP
Orks - 4000 points - WIP
Ultramarines - 750 points

'Either war is obsolete or men are.'
~R. Buckminster Fuller~
It's true. Men are obsolete. That's why space marines were made. There will always be a new war.

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: The Importance Of Water

Post by m14 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 pm

In order to tell if you're hydrated, you should be using the latrine about every 30mins (every modern country uses the same time scale, right?). Well, according to the guys at the ER when I went a while back.

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the advise! It'll help alot with the challenge :mrgreen:
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

m14

Post by m14 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm

One thing I found helpful was to invest in a water pack type thing. It's a pouch for water, and water only that fits in a bag that you can sling on your back so it stays out of the way, freeing up your hands until you are ready for a drink. Another term for one is called a Camelback. I highly recommend one, especially if you're a bicyclist (biker). They can hold like 2 or 3 liters, so if you're going on a long run/ride it should suffice.

Kingin
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kingin » Tue May 24, 2011 9:18 pm

ok I know the importance of drinking water when I get dehighdrated its easier for me to drink water, but other times its not that well. I drink lot of Green Tea, cold green tea, is that good enough? Or should i even cut Green Tea out of my diet? just stick with water?

m14

Post by m14 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:30 pm

So doctors and other experts say that you should drink 64oz of water daily. No more than half of that should be other liquids. Green Tea is good for you, so drink in moderation, b/c it does have some important vitamins and minerals in it, I think. Also drink lots of milk when you're not exercising. Milk has Calcium for bone and tooth strength, and Protein for muscle strength.

If you are tempted to eat fast-food, or are in a rush, stop by Subway. You can partially satisfy every food group except for fruits in a single sub, but even then they have apple slices. When you choose a bread, stick to either Wheat, Italian, and Honey Oat. Honey Oat has 9 grams of important wheat.

When choosing a snack, you can't go wrong with Sun Chips. They average 8 grams of fat, but most of it is unsaturated, which is good. They are also high in grains/wheat. And lastly, eat lots of fiber. Fiber is your friend.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 pm

I cycle with 2 litres of water strapped to my back - and I can optionally slug another 1 to 1.5 litres onto the bike frame itself for longer journeys. I severely dehydrated myself while cycling about 3 years back - once was more than enough.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

FotoGuy
Gold Vault Member

Post by FotoGuy » Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 am

Another good hydration test is the "Skin pinch"

Take two fingers and pinch some skin pulling it up a little bit. If your skin snaps back and into shape, you're hydrated and you're skin is hydrated, no worries!

If you pinch your skin, and your skin takes a noticeable time to settle back down to normal, you are not hydrated! For best observations, try it while you've been drinking, it is kind of gross to watch!

Keep hydrated everyone, water will help you tons!

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks for that Smurfgoblin!
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

smurfgoblin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by smurfgoblin » Wed May 25, 2011 9:05 am

Kingin wrote: I drink lot of Green Tea, cold green tea, is that good enough? Or should i even cut Green Tea out of my diet? just stick with water?
If you get a bag of green tea and just add water, that's a great way to deliver a healthy source of antioxidants to the system, but if you buy green tea's in prepacked bottles, they're going to be packing a bit of sugar.
People don't actually know alot of the time that sugar isn't just for flavour, it's to prolong shelf life.
I would just suggest that while doing physical activities, be sure to drink water to HYDRATE yourself. Have a green tea as a flavour hit in moderation. If you try to use green tea to hydrate yourself, you actually dehydrate more by taking water from the body to process the tea, even though the tea is good for you.
Orks - 4000 points - WIP

~R. Buckminster Fuller~
It's true. Men are obsolete. That's why space marines were made. There will always be a new war.

Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Also worth pointing is that you shouldn't drink too much water either. It can lead to some bad disseases (not zombie-like though). As they say, "drink responsibly", not too much or too little.

Kingin
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Kingin » Wed May 25, 2011 5:17 pm

ok thanks for the info, so just wanting to understand drink water when exercising and when your laying around doing nothing green tea is ok.

did i get that right?

smurfgoblin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by smurfgoblin » Wed May 25, 2011 6:48 pm

It's about replacing what your body takes out. So it would be advisory to drink water while exercising as you are losing water from perspiration. Having a stand alone drink of green tea is fine :D
Orks - 4000 points - WIP

~R. Buckminster Fuller~