Mike's Challenge - 30 Pounds

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's Challenge - 30 Pounds

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 am

Biked for 57km yesterday. I set out to ride 30km, but when I hit the halfway point I wasn't even remotely tired, so I just kept going.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am

Well done Mike :) I went out for my first Couch to 5K run today and managed it, although I was really feeling it at the end... I'll stick it out though, feels good to be exercising for a change instead of what it was before where I dreaded going to the gym for that one hour a week... :)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 am

This week, I've been biking anywhere from 15 to 25k every day (about 9 to 16 miles) after work, starting somewhere between 6 and 7. Last night there was a pretty strong headwind, that also happened to be pretty cold, so I only ended up riding about 13km or so, but it still felt like a good workout due to riding into the wind.

My legs feel much stronger, and the change in muscle tone is quite evident. My arms are following suit, though to a lesser degree - I think I'll start either doing weights or push-ups in the mornings next week to help them tone up a bit faster. More muscle = higher passive calorie burn = more weight loss for the same effort.

Sadly, I have a fairly unhealthy weekend coming up food-wise. There's a family gathering in Kingston, Ontario this weekend, which means 4-5 hours on the road, a huge family BBQ, sleeping on someone's couch, and a 4-5 hour trip home. I'll probably pack some fresh fruit, baby carrots, and trail mix for the journey so I'm less likely to want to stop at McDonald's or Tim Hortons on the way, though I've *really* boosted my self-control and willpower over the last few weeks, so I'm sure I'd be ordering salad or grilled chicken wraps if I ended up there.

This does mean though, I likely won't be producing any sort of Vlog over the weekend.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 pm

So I'm now biking 25 to 30km a day, and I'm not even slightly tired at the end. It's gone from building muscle to just being a basic cardio workout in a matter of 2 weeks... I'm sure it's still building *some* muscle, but I'm at the point where I no longer need to WORK to get that distance done... except when there's hills involved. To that end, I've been aiming for more hills in my ride ;)

I haven't really got into using my weight bench yet. I did about 30 Chest Presses with 50 pounds on it, followed by 20 Pull-downs with the same... then decided to go biking instead. I really need to start putting more serious work into my upper body. Honestly, I think I'm afraid to strain a muscle in my arm, because that would impact my painting ability and *that* scares me.

I haven't changed my diet at all, but I'm finding myself hungry now later in the day... I didn't have this problem last week. I think I may need to split dinner up into two smaller meals to space it out and help ignore the hunger. I'll be drinking more Green Tea as well, in place of plain water... I might make up a pitcher of Green Iced Tea tonight, lightly sweetened with either honey or maple syrup.

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Hey Mike, i went out to the locks at Thorold then decided to go down to the bottom of the hill to the lift bridge (think that is Bridge Street), turned around and rode bsck up the hill to Dain City and then back home. a pretty good ride. Mike, you have to organize an Epic Duck Mike's Bike Ride to End Unpainted Models one weekend, get everyone in shape and ready for the big Apoc game.

Doug
"Dying only hurts until your dead, so quit your crying and die already"

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Nice ride! I think I might head down the hill from Lock 7 and try grunting my way back up it tonight. I think I need to get a Gorilla Pod so I can mount the camera to my bike for that ;)

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 pm

after the first little bit of the climb up by lock 7 the rest is pretty easy.
doug

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:45 pm

So this is great fun... I just had a hornet fly straight into my helmet, get stuck, and sting the top of my head.

Let me just say that having a tight, bald scalp stung.... hurts like a <expletive deleted>. I'm not allergic to any stings or bites, but that whole area of my head is tense and throbbing right now. In the mirror though, it's just a tiny red speck.

Pulled off 14km regardless of the sting, though it was on the return half of that trip.

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey Mike, rode down to lock 2, by the skyway and back. The hill at lock 7 was a little tougher today, was dragging by the time I got home.
Doug

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:So this is great fun... I just had a hornet fly straight into my helmet, get stuck, and sting the top of my head.

Let me just say that having a tight, bald scalp stung.... hurts like a <expletive deleted>. I'm not allergic to any stings or bites, but that whole area of my head is tense and throbbing right now. In the mirror though, it's just a tiny red speck.

Pulled off 14km regardless of the sting, though it was on the return half of that trip.

Ooooo owch. That's never fun and hornets are the worst! did you try putting toothpaste up on your noggin to relieve some of the sting?
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 am

Best of luck at the new job Mike :) I think all of us on the Challenges can let you and the other guys off if you have a small bit of cake, right? :)

WillCarter
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by WillCarter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

Amael wrote:Best of luck at the new job Mike :) I think all of us on the Challenges can let you and the other guys off if you have a small bit of cake, right? :)
Absolutely, all the best with the new place. Hopefully you can keep us updated on your challenge.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Rode 45km tonight, all the way down the Locks and back up... so pretty much right into St Catharines from Welland. I had to walk up part of the trail on the way back, the locks are just too steep for me at the moment... but that was maybe 400-500m out of the full ride.

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:50 am

nice ride Mike, once you get past the twisty part at the bottom of the climb the hill is fine. Let me know when you want to head out again and I'll try and fit it in.

Doug

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Hey Doug,

I'm not sure what my new work schedule will exactly be like next week. I'm doing training for a few days in Stoney Creek, and then possibly jobshadowing a tech out in Kitchener, so I may have a few semi late nights as a result, so I'll just be riding when I have free time for the next week.... Dave and Matt are probably gonna kick my butt in the challenge for a week or so as a result.

Once that settles down though, and I'm working locally again, I should be able to schedule some early evening rides and have you and/or Joe tag along.

No riding today, had some other tasks that got in the way.