Smartah's Challenge - 15lbs

From May 24th to August 24th, Matthew, Dave, and Mike are going to lose 30 pounds each. Join in on the "fun" here and get healthy!
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Smartah's Challenge - 15lbs

Post by Smartah » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 pm

After a year+ of health problems and the addition of unwanted poundage, it is time to get my figure and endurance back.

The Plan:
Foodz:
*No more McDonalds and the like. It doesn't even taste good
*More veggies and fruits!
*Smaller homemade meals and snacks
*No soda, only water, 100% juice and 1% milk
*No eating after 7:30, only clear liquids

Exercise:
*Walking the dogs more
*I'll go get my bike fixed and use that more often for quick errands
*When I have to drive, I will park far away and walk that bit of extra distance.
*Work on the Tower Of Power for some hanging crunches and pull ups.

Rewardz: We all know we need them
*I will reward myself for taking a long walk a day with a popcicle at the end
*I will reward myself for doing 100 hanging crunches in a row with a paint triad
*I will reward the first 5 lbs lost with a DEldar Succubus
*I will reward the second 5 lbs with box of Hellions
*I will reward the third 5 lbs with a new outfit :D

So that is my pledge. If I can get down an extra 5 lbs for a total of 20 lbs would be amazing, but for now, 15 is good. It starts today! I'll be off to get my bike fixed and for a walk with the pooches.

To the MWG team: Good idea guys :)

Usual walking distance: 1.5 miles
At the end I would like to have a usual walking distance of 3-6 miles

The bike is fixed and ready for errands!

May:
Starting weight:152
Ending weight: 150

June:
Starting weight: 150
Ending weight
Last edited by Smartah on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

azzerath

Re: Smartah's Challenge - 15lbs

Post by azzerath » Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Good luck and good for you!
Smartah wrote:Foodz:
*No more McDonalds and the like. It doesn't even taste good
*More veggies and fruits!
*Smaller homemade meals and snacks
This right here should get you started on the right track. For me the big start was not having seconds.
Smartah wrote:*I will reward myself for taking a long walk a day with a popcicle at the end
Which ones are you looking at? Some of the 0 / low cal ones are pretty tasty!

Might I also recommend keeping a spreadsheet next to your scale? Every morning or evening weigh yourself and write it down. Seeing your trend can help a lot for motivation. It helped for me, give it a go and see if you like it.

I lost 70 pounds doing basically what you are going to do. I have another ~ 20 to do. I think I will have to post my own challenge. This is a great idea! I hope others do the same!

Oh and one trap I fell into that set me back was the "special occasions". It is a holiday, or someones birthday, or something special pretty often. So I would say, oh it is a special occasion, I'll eat what ever. Ya, that happened way to often. You have to stay the course! Just remember, eat what you like, but in moderation!

Keep us updated on your progress!

Bigbul
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bigbul » Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Good luck Smartah! I really like the reward system you are doing, makes the whole process seem more enjoyable.
“I would rather have a good plan today than a perfect plan two weeks from now.” - General George S. Patton

Smartah
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm

@azzereth - Yeah, I do the same thing around holidays and such, or I tell myself I'll start Tomorrow! When I lived in Canada I got into bad food habits (pizza, soda, candy etc.) and then I couldn't get out of bed for a month (back issues) so the lbs just packed on. When I got home, I was actually doing good, lost around 10 then got an upper respiratory infection that lasted from December to March. So my lungs are shot atm and I get to try and fix them.

As for the popcicles I love the banana, orange, lime and purple ones. I've always gotten sick with fake sugar products so they will be the regular kind ;) Maybe a firecracker or fugecicle as a special treat. I also found that the skinny cow ice cream sammiches are delicious, but I've never been a huge fan of ice cream.

I only wish I had a swim for fitness class. I lost about 20 lbs in an 8 week session just from swimming like a mile+ a day.

I'm not sure I'll do a spreadsheet at the scale. I have to share the bathroom so yeah not everyone needs to know how fat I got! I'll keep one on the computer though maybe.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas!

@Bigbul - I'm very much a goal oriented person. I need a plan and something to work towards. I want that new outfit and hellions and succubus! >.>

I hope more people join in :D
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

Bigfi
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Bigfi » Tue May 24, 2011 3:18 pm

this is an awesome idea! good luck smartah
fool me once shame on me, fool me twice... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
Cryx, Circle, CSM, and BA armies

Solid_Smurf
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Solid_Smurf » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Smartah wrote: *I will reward myself for taking a long walk a day with a popcicle at the end
Try making your own popcicles out of fruit juice with bits of fruit in it.
soooo good :)
I might not be the best, but I've made who ever is quite nervous.
*recovering from games workshop*

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Tue May 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Solid_Smurf wrote:
Smartah wrote: *I will reward myself for taking a long walk a day with a popcicle at the end
Try making your own popcicles out of fruit juice with bits of fruit in it.
soooo good :)
O.O Brilliant!
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

todo13
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by todo13 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Good luck!
3500+ Orks
2500+ Dark Eldar
The Best Dark Eldar Exclusive Forum

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue May 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Best of luck Smartah!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Tue May 24, 2011 8:40 pm

@Todo and Mike: Thanks! You too!

Got a good start today already. I feel better, but really tired!

Ugh all the rain and t-storms makes this a bit harder! I guess it'll be a few days on the tower of power, balance ball and treadmill. But treadmilling it is SO boring. That and I have the biggest craving for the girl scout cookies I found. Darn you girl scouts!

Reading some of the comments on other threads, I decided to keep eating the things I really like (baked goods) because I refuse to give that up forever. I have a huge sweet tooth and I love my mommy's cookies and pies. I will give up candy as I just don't like it all that much. Just not cookies, pies and cakes; I would go insane! I just won't go overboard with them.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Yay! I found my balance ball! crunches and russian twists coming up. I'm also using it as a chair for my computer. Even then I can feel my core working to maintain balance
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

Amael
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Amael » Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Good luck Smartah :) Sounds like a good plan!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 am

I used an exercise ball as my computer chair here at the office for the first 6 months or so, and it was great. I ended up switching to a knee chair (backless) to improve my posture though.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Tue May 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Tried a bikini on today. It was depressing.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:43 am

Weighed myself today :\ totally not happy! I only lost 2 lbs. I need to work a bit harder.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar