26%
Dangerdog's "Water of Life"
61%
dcrabb's "Shrine of Katrina von Lahr rayne"
13%

Total votes: 23

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Group Build XXIV- Vote

Post by Blue » Mon May 02, 2011 5:33 am

Here they are...
You know what to do...

Don't forget the names below are clickable for a direct link to their WIP threads.

FlameSoldier's Shrine

Orrion Carn's "Badrukk's Toof of Gork and Mork"

$amtron's Edlar Shrine

Dangerdog's "Water of Life"

dcrabb's "Shrine of Katrina von Lahr rayne"

Great job this month guys! Keep up the good work!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Group Build XXIV- Vote

Post by A Luna » Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 pm

WOWOWOW nice entries and quite hard to decide too!
Let me leave some feedback and then consider who gets my humble cheer for succession.

FlameSoldier:
I would have loved to see a full shot of everything in the piece. I like the details you've put into this, but I think the painting lets it down. For example: drybrushing the grey will make it come to life (use bleached bone or something). Other than that, quite a nice piece.

Orrion Carn:
Wow! I really see you everywhere, good job on being so succesful on MWG :D
About yerr piece: The idea is wonderful. The painting looks good to, the only thing that I really miss is some sand on the floor.. maybe it was your intention to do it so, but a little sand here and there can make it all a little more alive. Also, if you look up some pictures of tusks ont he internet, you'll see that they're made out differently. The painting isn't just blended on top, but they're more striped. Other than that, lovely details of all the races there.

Samtron:
Great job!I like this one though It looks a little simple done. Sorry that you had to sacrifice a mini for that:P All in all well excecuted IMO, I do think that the pile of skulls and the other colums could use a little more paint. For the eldar figure, it looks good.

Dangerdog:
HaH! Saw this one on ebay. I like how you did the rocks and how you converted that other miniature to a tau caste, but the water is a bit dull. The colors are flashy, that's not the problem, it's the texture. Especially the waves hitting the rock. But that's always the problem wth water.. it's quite hard to make it look perfect.

dcrabb:
Cool! NOOOOOOOOOO 54 mm miniature gone:P It does look like something that could be a shrine. You score IMO the highest in rating for theme, after that (close behind) the rest. I don't like the white drawn tiles on the plate and the lack of rubble around that one. Other than that, it's nicely done.

All in all...
In the end I was dubbing between Samtron and Dangerdog. In the end I went for Dagerdog because I love his cliffs and the idea of a 'guardian' statue in the sea.

Good job everyone! See you all next month.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

dangerdog
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by dangerdog » Mon May 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Thank you for the break-down A Luna. This was my first attempt at ocean style water, and I agree with you about how it looks a little unnatural. I appreciate the criticism. It gives me something to work towards. And thanks for the ebay reference. :D I've started selling my pieces, because while I enjoy making them, they take up too much room. And I sold the Dangerous terrain piece for a nice amount. 8)

We had some great entries this time. Great work everybody, and keep building! :D
Facts are the enemy of truth.

dcrabb
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by dcrabb » Mon May 02, 2011 7:08 pm

A Luna, thanks for the input. I was planning on doing more with the base, i.e. adding levels of pink stuff to cover the plate more, and adding rubble around the bottom layer but I ran out of time with other things popping up in April. I will go back and tidy things up to make them better. The "theme" is something I am working on to expand into an entire "fluff world" for my IG and Sisters of Battle armies.

$amtron
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by $amtron » Tue May 03, 2011 7:25 am

Thanks for the criticism a luna it always helps to have an honest opinion on a piece I will admit it prob was a bit lacking on the paintjob I did end up rushing a bit towards the end :) all the pieces looked awesome this build I ended up voting for dangerdogs tau statue it just looks amazing :)

dangerdog
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by dangerdog » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for the vote $amtron! Keep up the good work. I'd like to see you enter GB25 if you've got the time. I know it's hard when you have other things going on, but just apply the tips that others give you and you'll be fine. I look forward to seeing more! :D
Facts are the enemy of truth.

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm

While Dangerdog's calls to my heart strings as a Tau player, I have to say my vote goes to Samtron for doing a great job and the amazing gem work!

Great job to everyone!

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Return to “Group Build XXIV (24)”