Dramatic assault raptors, exhaust fumes help

For all your conversion projects.
Marauder_Zero
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Dramatic assault raptors, exhaust fumes help

Post by Marauder_Zero » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm

cotton works. I've also seen people use the same sort of things that were designed to make weapons look like they're firing, or they may have been specific for jump packs... they looked the same to me

Marauder_Zero
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Marauder_Zero » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 am

they look pretty cool as is, I'd just say get some sort of hobby shop metal rod instead of a ?paper clip? or the flying base plastic things... if you can or find a way to hide it within the thruster effects

Marauder_Zero
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Marauder_Zero » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 am

I woud just suggest something a little more stable, maybe even have them attached to the top of some terrain, there are plenty of tricks

theOneRider
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by theOneRider » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 pm

That's pretty cool!
If you have a model you can spare from another faction, you might include a raptor who's shooting him. Just put your support wire through the barrel of his gun & paint it in appropriate colors of chaosy, shooty, deathyness. :twisted:
Smite the iron, shape the pewter, sculpt the putty.
My DeviantArt Page

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:58 pm

You can also try steel wool if you have any around.

Don't know if anybody said it yet, and I'm far too self involved to check.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

ozzybwild
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by ozzybwild » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Steelwool: just rip to pieces of the desired size, glue in place, prime, paint. I'd suggest a small drop of hotglue to glue it - hardens fast and should have enough strength to keep the exhaust fumes in place.

Another idea I'd like to throw in is attaching the holding wire to one of the exhausts directly (bending it slightly to an arc shape to have the mini hover over your base) and then hiding it altogether by adding some greenstuff / "creative putty" layers before roughing the top layer up. (Cheap "air dry clay" from a supermart / arts store would be enough - it often has a "crumbly" texture to it if you just rip small pieces of the clay block and stick them to the wire starting from the bottom and just pushing the top part tight-fit to the wire. This kind of artists clay shrinks a bit when drying, but for your case it should work great, plus it's cheap and can be stored in an airtight plastic (bread-)box with a little sponge/tissue with water.)
Greenstuff/putty/clay(even if not water-proof) can also just be primed and painted as usual. If you have a watersolvent putty/clay it won't matter much, since (I hope) you won't drown your minis in beverages and even IF someone spilled some - it's easy to fix: just smack more putty on, let it dry, paint chaos black base + the desired scheme and you're done! :)

Hope this maybe helped a bit, good luck and keep us up to date please! :mrgreen:
Om nom om nom om nom nom nom,
om nom om nom om nom nom nom..
I'm bladerunning back to the future following you with esper from my freaking delorean.