AM (WIP) Mammoth Tank Conversion

For all your conversion projects.
Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

AM (WIP) Mammoth Tank Conversion

Post by Tyrant583 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:28 am

Been lurking for a short while. The fires to finish this project have been burning pretty hot lately and I'm trying to stoke them further by posting here. My procrastination is a force to be reckoned with and this really should have been finished darn near 2 years ago. The inspiration of course is drawn from "Command & Conquer" specifically "Red Alert" and its expansions, so the Mk I variant. I basically used 2 baneblade kits for the bulk of the models and plenty of plasticard.....and rivets (519 and counting). The lascannons on top can be swapped with most any imperial weapon (Razorback goodies, twin linked assault cannons, the AA guns from the Aegis defense lines). 2 Volcano cannons, not sure if they should be twin linked or 2 shots? or a larger template 1 shot? The 2 flamers at the front was hoping to have them as heavy flamers that are torrent or the strength 6/4 non torrent. 2 twinlinked lascannons at the back and a whirlwind missile launcher. Last bu not least there are 2 mega bolters to be mounted on the front. If such weapon profiles remain similar it should be able to give even reaver titans a scare. BUT! those details will be hammered out once its complete, I've been speaking with some local shops (GW) whom are willing to give their interpretation of stats and points costs. Moving on! As I draw closer there are 3 areas that I am torn about on how I would like them to look in the end game. (still a lot of gap filling needed, cleaning lines and sanding smooth.) In addition to all comments and criticisms, I would like your opinions! PS sorry for the poor quality photos. I'll leave a link to my gallery Its not large but is full of progress photos :)
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/image ... 20Wip.html

Area 1: The front profile. The very front plate specifically. The baneblade hulls rock a stretched out aquila on some extra plating. My thinking is there is enough armor and sloping and instead adding 2 or 3 spare road wheels with plasticard hangers? Tow hooks w or w/o cables? Or maybe something more appropriate for pushing the lines in trenchwarfare/cityscape fighting. The Part 2 of the front is between the barrels. I would like to build it a bit thicker. But should it be just a little thicker to be noticeable with an aquila/company marking/optics? Or Built "much more"(relatively) and sloped like in C&C. (quick google sear of "Mammoth tank mark 1")

Area 2: The side profile. It will hardly be seen from most any angle but the space on the hull between t6he sets of treads is large enough that something COULD be done beyond rivets? Maybe just a tiny aesthetic? Or leave it to the paint to fix?

Lastly...
Area 3: The back profile. Honestly it wasn't until I got to this point that I even gave much thought about how I wanted the back to look. I couldn't (too lazy to) add a some sloping like the baneblades or fancy it up like them. It was pretty boxy. I actually just started cramming things together and I think it worked out. Its simple and just enough I think. My area of concern here is the back of the turret. Access door beyond the hatch on top? or gear and put access behind the existing hatch? Or more nothing and just gear it up a bit?
Last edited by Tyrant583 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: AM (WIP) Mammoth Tank Conversion

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:12 pm

really cool!

I think I would add some markings, after painting, in the area on the second picture. Maybe legion specific? or it could be a record of kills (always fun!) Or a graphic of the name of the tank/troop etc.

On the first and third areas, not really any specific ideas, except maybe ewar where it would fit in? radars/antenae that sort of thing?

Also, could do a tarp in one section. Baby wipe + PVA glue to make a roll of canvas, tied down or wired down sort of idea.

Anyway just some thoughts!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:46 pm

General-Kroll - As did I. I still buy it when the game is re-released for the current OS. I haven't seen it for a while and it usually just does the game play cutting out all the awesome cut-scenes. Always disappointing.

Guildstern - On the back of the turret the protrusions on either side of center are definitely going to be full of comms/e-goodies. Maybe even "counts as void shields." But along the similar lines of ewar you reminded me that I still need to get smoke launchers and spot lights on here. I like the idea of the canvas/camo netting.

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Sperian - I thought about putting the equivalent of a Lasgun array on either side of the turret. Ideally something like this is too valuable to be deployed without either infantry/sentinels or a couple of hellhouds/punishers. I could likely sneak a heavy stubber or twin linked heavy stubber at the back of the turret, or put some sandbags with a heavy weapons team or two posted on it.

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:12 pm

Smaller updates but progress is progress. Its nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel to this project. 3yrs in the making :-\ Without further stalling!

Vents on the engine deck, an access door for maintenance and random extra armor piece to remove some empty space.

Added some crew hatches to the front and a driver view port.

At the back of the turret I settled on an access door and an electronic code panel of sorts

An issue of search lights. Any typical lights were awkward to me, They were in the way of the turret turning or in front of the missile launcher/hypothetical missile path of travel. These 2 I felt would be sufficient for counts as. Now to figure out smoke launchers if any o.0

Some artist interpretations of the Mammoth Mk1 from Command and Conquer had 2 antennae at the back. With the turret protrusions I always intended there to be 2 comm clusters. During the WIP someone mentioned if modeled right it could look cool OR if you paid extra points can count as having a void shield or 2 with it being a trench/battle line assault tank. So to try to keep some middle ground I am a little torn. Use the antennae and the Homing beacon? (at the foreground) or The antennae and the autocannon with the parabolic dish? I am leaning more to the homing beacon.

I am starting in on the mega bolter turrets. With enough drive, I hope to have the model complete in a couple days and spend the next week practicing airbrush on my other hulls (7 Russ, 2 Hellhounds, 2 Wyverns) so the paint job will at least be half decent.

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:27 am

Beginning in on my mega bolters...

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:03 am

Again poor quality, just trying to keep the pics coming to keep me going :)

Both of the mega bolters are awaiting greenstuff and rivets.

I was a little iffy on whether I liked them when in the process of mainking the turrets but they have grown on my a lot. I need fleshing out on the front, then greenstuff and rivets. The front center of the turret is being attended to.....the greenstuff and rivets. Then find another homing beacon from the terminator sprue to assemble the comm cluster at back of turret. Then uh...uh...final once over to make sure im done greenstuffing and smoothing things out. Then I think I am actually done o.0!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:58 am

That looks just plain awesome

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:33 am

Appreciated :-)

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:22 am

So - the only difference since last post is now more cracks are green stuffed, mostly on the Mega bolter turrets. I think some sanding/filing.....a handful more rivets.....then Ill prime it. Im starting to get nervous.

Tyrant583
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tyrant583 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Stopped by a GW today. Mostly for opinions from the manager there and to get a couple pics on a board. I keep thinking Im so close but its always 1 more darn thing. Have to do it right though I guess. Now is the time to do it before painting.

Yes the barrels are not square. :( But it is all pinned and glued etc. But its set now. I imagine it much like the turret of a battle ship performing sequential fire.....ya thats it.

^^^Some of my Kriegers in front for scale.vvv

All that junk in that trunk! Im glad to have the last few pieces I needed there.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:36 pm

That thing is freakin awesome sauce!! can't wait to see it painted up :D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Thabow
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Thabow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:52 pm

very impressive