Pin Vice

For all your conversion projects.
Zaincarla
Bronze Vault Member

Pin Vice

Post by Zaincarla » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:56 am

Hey everyone, I have recently decided ot get into magnetizing all my armies.
I plan on getting my magnets here from MWG but i am not sure what the best Pin vice to buy is. I've heard that the GW one is not worth the cost.

What would you all recommend. Thanks!

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Pin Vice

Post by coldsteel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:11 am

I actually use a 18v cordless drill and normal titanium drillbits for magnets. Another option with the smaller magnets is the bits that come with a Dremel. But, yeah, the Citadel one works for gun barrels.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

SuperMoose7
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by SuperMoose7 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:27 pm

I used 2 different versions of the GW citadel pin vises for about 7 years and thought they were great, but a few years ago I bought the Tamiya "Fine Pin Vise D-R (0.1-3.2mm)" and i feel it far surpasses Citadels take on it.
It's around £12-15 depending where you get it, but I feel is worth the stretch, it's something youl always have in your tools and you won't have to buy it twice. It has no problem with the 3mm right down to silly-thin drill bits. Hope this helps. (:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon May 30, 2016 5:39 pm

bit late to the party but just found out there's a harbor freight near me - if you're in the US and there is one near you they often have really nice small drill and bits too
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue May 31, 2016 11:06 am

Gotta love Harbor Freight!

I have a Privateer Press one that I like, I've never found one I thought was all that though. I use a Dremel which works nice.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

MadHatTom
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MadHatTom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:03 am

I have the old GW one and it's given me over a decade of exemplary service. But that was before they came out with the current generation of tools. Also, consider getting two. Seriously. You can load a small bit into one for making pilot holes and then widen them without having to switch bits.