Tails of Thabow.

For all your conversion projects.
Thabow
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Tails of Thabow.

Post by Thabow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

only one store in the capital that sells plasticard, and they didn't have enough. and I'm still waiting on the box sets coming in, but soon.....

Thabow
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Thabow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 am

got some work done to the land ship doesn't look like much now but it's the base for when those other three sets come in.

remember this is the back section.

If I can get all the purple on the 82 nids I'm working on today I'll take the whole thing out and put it together for a pic, tonight

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 am

It will be truly massive when it is done...and the ship is big too :)

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

ahhh...

I did I put more money into the project, I'm up to 1700 something now, but oh by the dark gods how it will be worth it.

this is a write up I'm doing with the idea being that hopefully the buyer who he or they might be comes along before I'm done the main build and thus they have time to save up and I have time to plan the shipping.

This is currently a work in progress but let me explain what your looking at.

This is the Mourning Spear, a massive moble fortress or as I like to call it a landship. The model itself doubles as both a functioning moble fortress and as a very cool peice of terrain. But that's not it, one of the goals for the project was to make it capable of transporting a full company of space marines plus two rhinos. Two drop pods and a few other surprises.

The landship is built or rather being built to be sectional, both for transport and to use the inside space. Wherein there is a medic bay, engine room, research lab, ammo vault and several other spaces as well as room to conceal 100 space marines, two rhinos and several other features. The drop pods are stored on the second level on the recovery deck.

Size wise, I wanted to make sure that this was the biggest model of its size with the only exceptions being home built emperor size titans. That's the next project. And since this model stands at 56cms long 25cms high and 25 cms wide that makes it bigger then the Forge world manta.

So I'm posting this add now because the plan was always to sell the finished project and the would be buyer might want some time to save up so here it is.

Time Involvement

So far this project has taken 18 hours of my life but ultimately I'm not charging for my time because the price is already high enough but also this is what I do for fun. The idea is to give the entire model a coat of grey primer when it's done and allow the buyer to paint it themselves. Keep in mind that includes a full company of marines. Now as a commission painter I'm willing to do the painting as well but that would be a separate price.

Cost breakdown.

This is a list of what I've had to acquire so far in order to produce this project. The vast majority of the materials used have been brand new on Spru with very little plasticard used since this is a bitz basher project and not scratch built.

Imperial Objectives set X2 $ 100
Rhino X2 $120
Drop pods X2 $100
Space marines X100 $500
Imperial sector set $200
OOP nercomada plates $140
Land raider X4 $240
Crane terrain set $60
Plasma reactors terrain set $30
Gun replacement terrain set $60
Plasticard $20
Moving trays $40
Shipping costs to date $150

Total $1760 so far....

To follow the process check out my work in progress thread at miniwargames

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116774&start=285

For more info feel free to contact me directly. Serious offers only please.

my dream would be to sell this to warhammer world or even minwargames, but I'll settle for a really really excited private buyer.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

oh and I've got about seven guys who are either trading partners or clients who I keep in regular contact with and after telling one I guy I wish I had more moving trays, look what he sent me out of the blue..

God I love Canadians

and I hate nids cause I still have to finish these before I can go back to work on the land ship.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 am

set up the landship last night just to see where I'm at, still got bitz to add and lots of little things to do but the superframe is almost done.

the rest of the week is about painting those damn nids, but when the bitz come in I'm locking myself in a room and finishing the main sections of this bad boy.

I also just put it up for sale since anyone who wants to buy it might want time to save up.

more to come.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm

oh thank the dark gods, the Nids are done..

might be getting the rest of the parts for the landship this weekend too, fingers crossed.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:05 pm

I didn't like how the bridge section was looking so I worked on that a bit this weekend, keeping in mind that I'm expecting two of the three terrain sets to come in today and I wanted this section done so I was ready for it.

what's funny is none of these pics have the finished project, I had a couple buddies over for bitz bashing and painting and by the time we were done for the night I was too tired to remember to take one more pic.

also I have one more big commission that needs to be finished by the end of the month so I'm going to rush to get that done so I can get back to this. my rule is I don't work on my stuff on the week days, only commissions. and here we are on Monday...

more to come..

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 pm

working on a deal with a guy in BC to get enough bitz to build something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4re1STVCQc

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am

just got an email from the local store, the plasma generators and crane set are in,.

but I can't do anything until the weekend cause I only have six days left to finish this other big commission of defilers and blood angels.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 am

As of Monday morning, I'm all done my commission work and here's what I've been doing with my freedom.

calling this model the Crab monster

and here's the base, still not done but close.

and then a flying base for a friend's Heldrake

also not finished,.

as for the land ship I'm back to waiting on parts..but today I receive the very first set I need to start my next big project which will be a titan, and then next week i get what I need to start the project after that which will be a mega fortress, here's hoping there's enough life left in me to get to them all.

more to come..

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm

oh by the dark gods this is turning out to be my day, got an extra pay check, finally got ride of the unexpected house guess which means I have my game room back and the bitz box I wasn't expecting until the 6th just showed up.

now I need two sheets of plasticard and some land raider tracks and I have everything I need to finish the main ship.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:06 pm

hunnnn...

someone just sent me a second skyshield for the landship. but where does that go?

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:27 pm

You need to maybe resign yourself to the idea that maybe you shouldn't stick ALL of the stuff on one model. Just sayin'.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:08 am

lol, oh I'm ahead of your there, I've already started saving bitz for the next two projects the Titan and and the mega fortress. but in the meantime I've made some massive changes and got alot done yesterday, transferring pics now...

Return to “Wargaming Conversion Work”