Tails of Thabow.

For all your conversion projects.
Thabow
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Tails of Thabow.

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 am

hello gents, had to start a new projects thread and here it is.

I stopped doing commissions last year because I had gotten to the point where every time I sat down to model it was for someone else and I was starting to miss the freedom og having several of my own projects on the go. Right now my main project is using the winter to get my wolves done (I hate the space wolves by the way) but I also have several smaller projects that I want to see done too. So if your still reading this here we go.

lets start with my SW terminators, there's 50 of them and they're always angry because none of them are finished, thus I have to keep them locked up at night for fear they might try to kill me in my sleep.

I should also mention off the bat that I have alot of bitz.

also this summer I bought some's entire collection of WH which included about 14 armies, which I'm slowwwwwwwllllyyy making my way through. Even bough the display case.

next is a unit of thunder wolves that I'm making the center of a fast attack force. the only thing stopping me from finishing the unit is that I'm missing one front paw for one of the wolves and my OCD won't allow me to finish them without it.

this is what I started with, the of the wolves once belonged to someone who loved their glue very much. (modeling note: Always use the least amount of glue you can)

these heads are rare as any SW player will tell you, you need to buy a few box sets before you have enough to do them as a unit, so here were my two choices, I decided in the end to go with the wolf heads and use the other ones for my land speeders.

more to come.
Last edited by Thabow on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thabow
Ribbons Earned: Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Tail's of Thabow.

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 am

I'm a huge fan of the Horus Hersey novels, when I started playing in 1990, the HH was a paragraph in the space marines codex, so when the chance came along to get my hands on some 30k models that weren't recasts or crazy expensive, I jumped on it. And even with the chance to have any of the 18 30k armies in my collection, I'm an idiot and went with the wolves...again.

for anyone wanted to get started in 30k, this box set is a great place to start. there are still acouple of pre-fit models that you would expect in a box set like this but 80% of them are the same thing you would get out of a regular unit set, if that makes sense

the first thing I started with was the dreadnought and although I took step by step pictures of it and although I'd like to discuss it more, I'll just post this pic and save us all some time. The next time I do something big like this I will post more pics.

the reason the model looks like it's all from the same set is because instead of basing it black or white I now base with grey at least when I'm working on space wolves.

I also put a lot of effort into the base.

next I moved on to the wolves, some will say they look too evil ish, but they were the emperors executioners and the brutes of their day so I wanted them to look the part but I was also careful not to mix elements that weren't available at the time (example later Marks of armour) mainly I only used SW heads and weapons.

I also stopped along the way to make this guy for someone who's starting a night lords army.

and back to the wolves, I finished 2 packs of grey hunters which along with the dreadnought a land raider and five terminators gives me a small force to play with. You won't see these guys again until they're painted.

did some ruins bases too.

and that's it for 30k for now, moving back to 40k

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Tails of Thabow.

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Right now my main project is using the winter to get my wolves done (I hate the space wolves by the way)
Why do you collect and paint them if you hate them? Personally, I assumed my feelings and decided that I would be slaughtering them. So I started playing Thousand Sons! :mrgreen:
lets start with my SW terminators, there's 50 of them and they're always angry because none of them are finished, thus I have to keep them locked up at night for fear they might try to kill me in my sleep.
Do you want me to send you a bodyguard of Rubric Marines? They're eager to avenge themselves anyway. :P

Joke appart, it looks like you have an insane amount of job before you lol! 14 Fantasy armies! Wow! Your Space Wolf Contemptor is great, but if you hate the Wolves that much, why not using your Betrayal at Calth box for a Legion that you like better? Ah and I love the Night Lord you've done! It looks really cool!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 pm

the very first box set I bought in 1990 was space wolves, and every since it's been an on going love hate relationship, I'd like to play another chapter but in the end they're the SPACE WOLVES. name another legion you'd rather go out drinking with. Better yet name another legion you'd more rather not get into a bar fight with.

nah the space wolves have always been home base for good or bad, and I think once I have this specific army done, I'll be able to move on..sigh,,,,,but there's so many of them. Even after all this I'm sitting down to work on them tonight, hoping to finish painting the dread.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Honestly, taking into account that the Space Wolves still haven't understood that charging straight into an enemy will only get yourself killed without the intervention plot armor and lazy writers, I would fear the Death Guard a lot more in the Crusade era. They're just so creepy and brutally thorough in how they annihilate their foes. The Alpha Legion would push me toward paranoia and insanity pretty quick. And finally, I would fear that the Blood Angels cut me in half and proceed to eat my flesh and drink my blood.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:31 pm

lol, all totally valid points.

honestly I feel like the wife in an abusive relationship making up excuses for the husband.

we could argue this all day, one way or another I've got alot of wolves and over 26 years of 40k I've never been able to shake them. The real kicked is I really dislike the color scheme they have, it's not hard to paint but it's time consuming. Got a freind coming over to do some kit basing tonight, if I get a chance i'll lay them all out for a pic, t's not an apocalypse size army but the end goal is a full Great company which is between 150 and 200 models.

which I'll then gladly tose into a fire once I'm done.

oh and on a related note, of all the Primarchs, Leman Russ is the only one who's most likely still kicking butt somewhere in the eye or terror.

ArqArturo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by ArqArturo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:40 pm

... So many minis O.O

I envy you (even thought I don't have that much shelf space in my place.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased...” Miyamoto Musashi

Imperia

Post by Imperia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:45 pm

And I thought I had a lot of Terminators, well that is quite a collection on your hands!

OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OverlordRick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am

Oh man this is something I'll be following for sure. Also I'm super envious of your display case and all those models! Mine just sit in a big Rubbermaid bin in the dark, dank basement :(

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:57 pm

The wolves are the big project but there's a few others too, this is a short list of what I at least plan to work on this year. Not in the order I plan to do them. And these aren't projects ill buy some day these are all models I have

1) 50 space wolf terinators 50 models
2) 30k space wolves force 36 models
3) space wolf fast attack force 22 models
4) AOS dwarfs 50 models
5) AOS beatsmen 50 models
6) AOS high elves 50 models
7) AOS dark elves 50 models
8) AOS wood elves 50 models
9) AOS undead 50 models
10) AOS empire 70 models
11) night lords army (unless it sells)
12) finish my eldar 70 models.

there's other stuff to addto the list but my orks can wait. they can sit there and justttttt wait.

this is the bulk of the sw force, a few things I didn't want to dig out yet.

OverlordRick
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by OverlordRick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Oh man I can't stop laughing at number 8 in your list
Last edited by OverlordRick on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 am

thought I was going o get some alone time with the wife last night, that fell through when the baby woke up so....instead i stayed up and got some of the base work done to the land speeders unit. So far I've just cleaned up the models i have and added a few things to them to make them look like they spend more time out in the wild.

I'll post more of the speeders when the bitz dust settles.

and here's the little man, pretending to be asleep. It's how we bait orks in this part of the world.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:54 am

It looks like someone is very lucky. I wish you eternal happiness with your wife and children. :) But sometimes, the little one feels like waking up the whole family just for the thrill. :P

Thabow

Post by Thabow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:18 pm

oh no, this is my third kid, I'm well aware of the "joy" that comes with kids, I've got two daughters 5 and 3 and now this guy. Which is great, unless your my space wolf army and you want to get painted.

also... I found the paw!!!

hoping to work on the thunder wolves tonight. going to go with an old guy theme for them instead of what I had originally planned.