Your writing process

Discuss paper and pen roleplaying games here.
Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Your writing process

Post by Bone2pick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:53 am

The RP section is built on creative writing and that's why it's my favorite part of the forum. Everyone has their own style, and there's no "right" way to go about it. In fact, the different flavors of RP posts keep it fresh and in my opinion, keep it alive. Having said that, I was wondering what everyone's writing process was? Is it as simple as opening up a reply in the content forum and just banging an entire post up in one sitting, or is it more elaborate (do you use a thesaurus, music, a codex, etc)?

Also if you have any tips for anyone, feel free to put him in here. I imagine this section has a bunch of 'lurkers' who haven't mustered up the confidence to make a character and participate in one of our RPs, but they've been considering it. So if you have any advice for them, or even encouragement, don't hold back. Thanks.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Jason

Re: Your writing process

Post by Jason » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:42 pm

I just open up Word and bang out a thousand words or so. whatever comes to mind, I'll put it down. One edit to make sure it makes sense and away it goes.

Paper writing skills is where my writing ability stems from; vocabulary and styles are mainly influenced through contemporary historical sources and classic literature.
Regardez l'aventure à venir
Esse Eximius Ad Invicem
Bad Company, till the day I die.

DragonRider

Bone2pick
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:58 am

Anyone else?
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

Chaos Farseer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Chaos Farseer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm

*Crickets*

I'll replace the text in this post once I get around to actually writing for the RP aaaargh.
Original Portrait Inspiration
Because one can't be normal all the time.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:02 am

I usually only write when I am inspired to do so, and rarely ever more than a page or so.

I start with an image in my head which for me has feelings attached to it. I try and describe what happens, some dialogue between the characters. Afterwards I start hacking and slashing, trying to make sure that I don't repeat myself every other sentence and keeping it a somewhat light but enjoyable read.

The latest example of my writing can be found here.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Bone2pick

Post by Bone2pick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 am

My process is based around creative steps rather than sitting down and pounding out an entire post in one day. The first step is working out of a word doc, which I label and put on my desktop to work in throughout the week whenever I have free time. Then I brainstorm with bullet points so I'll know what direction to take as I write up my post. Here's a recent example:

-Meggah Wyze walks *alone across the ship to talk with an important slave of his
-He runs into some Snakebite orks who hold a nasty grudge against him
-He's then jumped, beat up, and threatened to be killed
-Unseen gretchin bodyguards save him while coming up through the floor

After those brief ideas get put down I go to Lexicanum and do a bit of research. Taking the above example I researched the Snakebite orks, their colors, their preferences, ect. Anything of interest gets slapped into the word doc, and then I typically shut it down for the day.

I write in paragraphs, maybe one or two a day. This keeps it fresh, and there's no pressure to finish the entire post in one sitting. When I'm roughly 75% done I'll commit and finish up the post, then do a reread and try and clean the whole thing up.

I also listen to music as I write, especially at the end and during the reread. And that's the nuts and bolts of how I work an RP post.

respect92
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by respect92 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I looking thru my previous post (or character sheet). Then I thinking about possible events that could happen. Sorting out those thet arent interesting or can be conected to the story. Then I get an idea and during work I add more details to it (I dont need to Think very much at my current job). The evning I Think its good enough I press the reply button and start Writing. When done looking thru the post to change any possible errors. When done I post it and reread it one last time.
Always listen to Music (nightcore)

To those that havent got the confidence to post yet, remember that its a first time for everyone. No one is perfect the first time. And remember, the more the merrier :D
Please nerf damage of GW-prized minis.
Best regards the Wallet

BSPdeadpool
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by BSPdeadpool » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 pm

I dont write on this site but I used to write a lot someplace else for RP's.
For RP's I usually gather an image of what I want to do, hit reply, and make it so. Lol. Only a couple paragraphs because most people hated reading more than that there so was pretty easy to just hash out.

-BB
そ:IT'S GOOD TO BE BAD!! :twisted:
->My WIP Thread<-
"Your silence offends Slaanesh!!"

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Bjorn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

I write bad stuff because I'm bad at describing things. I need to improve on that.

I also need to stop changing my ideas mid way through posts/ series of posts, because it makes things hard as heck to follow (See Unlikely heroes), especially when compared to some of the RP's I've been in which was a single, focused character (The Black Templar one where I argued with Shas a lot).
Gott mit uns