Feats?

Discuss paper and pen roleplaying games here.
cj rex
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Feats?

Post by cj rex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:52 am

I've never played D&D before so I have no idea what anything is. What are feats and how are they used? Also are they mandatory?
So you mean to tell me you don't fear the things that go bump in the night? While you're in the woods? Foolish.

BewareOfTom
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Feats?

Post by BewareOfTom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 am

they are not mandatory but they are GREAT bonuses

like quick draw lets you draw a weapon as a free action (so you can draw your weapon, move and attack) where before its (draw weapon, move OR attack) and stuff that lets you do more special things (like whirlwind! :P )
I have half a mind to kill you, and the other half agrees

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

IPlayThisGame
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by IPlayThisGame » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am

A Feat boils down to an extraordinary action you can perform or a bonus to something you can already do. Essentially, Feats are the training and abilities you've gained in life that fall outside the scope of the various Skills you gain as you progress through your career. Fighter are the primary recipients of Feats, for them Feats represent all the fancy combat manoeuvres they've learned during a lifetime of battle. Other classes benefit greatly from Feat too however; Clerics can turn undead better, spellcasters can increase the potency of their spells or create magical equipment, and many other similar abilities

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:00 am

Feats can also be used to train in weapons and armor that your class don't get right off the bat. I took leather armor as one of my first level feats (I was human), so that I wouldn't be so squishy as a Wizard.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians