First time GMing Deathwatch

Discuss paper and pen roleplaying games here.
TimmyTheNerd
MiniWarGaming Zealot

First time GMing Deathwatch

Post by TimmyTheNerd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:01 am

Alright, so right now I'm GMing Deathwatch for the first time. I've only ever GM'd Pathfinder before this. The Kill-Team is as follows:

Sergeant Sigismund the Ancient (Player)
OOC Info: The driving force behind the campaign, Sigismund's player is my close friend and our groups' master of knowledge. Where I excel in Xenos Fluff, he excels in Imperium Fluff.
Brief Description: A Horus Heresy era Space Marine that was lost in the Warp, this Space Marine took the name, Sigismund, due to having forgot his own. The scars and betrayal of the Heresy is still fresh in his mind.
Specialization: Assault Marine
Chapter: Imperial Fists

Brother Ulrich (Player)
OOC Info: Brother Ulrich's player can be random at times and often seems to forget that being a Space Marine does not mean his character is invincible.
Brief Description: Ulrich once served as an Emperor's Champion, having won a great victory for the Black Templars, before being seconded to the Deathwatch. He is honourable and a devote follower of the God Emperor. The battlefield is his place of worship.
Specialization: Assault Marine
Chapter: Black Templars

Brother Cadeyrn (Player)
OOC Info: Cadeyrn's player doesn't talk much, except in IC. When he does talk, it tends toe be questions regarding the Fluff of Warhammer 40,000.
Brief Description: Cadeyrn is a mighty Librarian, able to smite the Emperor's enemies. Where his psyker abilities fail, his Force Sword will not.
Specialization: Librarian
Chapter: Storm Wardens

Brother Einar (Player)
OOC Info: Einar's player is often busy, so he misses a few missions. However, he is always a team player on missions where he does join in.
Brief Description: A lone wolf, Einar is the shadow to the Kill-Team's fist. He prefers stealth over brawn and balances the team out. However, he is not always with them on Missions. Einar is often accompanied by Fang, his Fenrisian Wolf companion.
Specialization: Tactical Marine/Wolf Scout
Chapter: Space Wolves

Brother Arion (NPC)
OOC Info: I named him after the Ravenwing Sergeant from Dark Vengeance
Brief Description: Brother Arion was a member of the first Kill-Team that was sent to investigate the Tau Presence on Archon I. He is also the only surviving member, the rest of the team had lost their lives in a Tau attack. Brother Arion bravely guarded his brothers' bodies until reinforcements, the players, arrived and the bodies were extracted fore geneseed recovery. He has since joined the Kill-Team led by Sergeant Sigismund.
Specialization: Tactical Marine/Ravenwing Veteran
Chapter: Dark Angels

The Campaign:
The Campaign takes place in a Sub-Sector I made up called Sub-Sector Varos. It was once the recruiting world for a Ravenguard successor chapter known as the Solar Ravens. It has had two major events in it's recent history. The Tyranid Invasion, which lead to the Exterminatus of Archon II, and the betrayal of the Solar Ravens, which have turned to Chaos, specifically they now worship Slaanesh. The Sub-Sector is now under Inquisitorial Control, with the Inquisition having a base on The Library, the moon of Archon I and the former location of the Solar Ravens' history records. Archon I is a Hive World. Archon III is a desert planet but valued for it's unique spices and resources, however the climate and weather patterns makes it so only the hardiest of Imperial citizens could survive on the planet. It was these citizens that often became members of the Solar Ravens before their betrayal. Finally, Archon IV, a Forge World which produces Rhinos, Razorbacks, Predators, Vindicators and Whirlwinds. These tanks are often sent to the Deathwatch.

The Kill-Team was called to Archon I due to a rebellion that is starting in the lower levels of the Hiveworld. The Planetary Governor had been hoarding food for himself and the Upper Class, while the Working and Lower class citizens often starved. This has caused the lower class citizens to revolt, aided by an Renegade Guard platoon which, in turn, is aided by a Tau Ethereal and a Tau Shas'O, as well as the Shas'O's forces. The presence of the Tau is why the Kill-Team was sent to the planet. They were the ones who discovered the Governor's greed, however, he was assassinated before he could be brought to Justice. Currently, the Kill-Team are trying to root out the Tau and Renegade Guardsmen, while keeping civilian casualties to zero.

Finally, I have a few questions for those who have experience with GMing Deathwatch.
1. How do you deal with Dreadnoughts in your campaigns?
Sigismund's player has expressed interest in having Sigismund become a Dreadnought. I was looking over the stats in Rites of Battle and realized that there's not much that would be able to penetrate a Dreadnought's armour. He said he wont use Sigismund every mission if he becomes a Dreadnought, but the amount of Armour still bothers me.

2. Is rewarding players with Relics a good idea?
I've been thinking about maybe rewarding the Kill-Team with some relics at some point in the game, these would replace one of their Specialization Weapons from the Standard Issued Wargear list.

3. How do you deal with player death early game?
So far, we've been doing the first mission and Brother Ulrich has nearly died five times due to recklessness. I'm worried that his character may die before the campaign even gets off the ground.
Astra Militarum - 001st Kronus Liberators - 1360pts - Needs more Tanks

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: First time GMing Deathwatch

Post by Sniperfex » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:36 am

Sigismund's player has expressed interest in having Sigismund become a Dreadnought. I was looking over the stats in Rites of Battle and realized that there's not much that would be able to penetrate a Dreadnought's armour. He said he wont use Sigismund every mission if he becomes a Dreadnought, but the amount of Armour still bothers me.

I've been thinking about maybe rewarding the Kill-Team with some relics at some point in the game, these would replace one of their Specialization Weapons from the Standard Issued Wargear list.

So far, we've been doing the first mission and Brother Ulrich has nearly died five times due to recklessness. I'm worried that his character may die before the campaign even gets off the ground.
1. Generally, only anti tank equipment will damage a Dreadnought, but baiting one in to a pitfall it wouldn't be able to escape would be easy enough to do... bringing it in to the campaign though, save it for when one character dies, but they have to either perform some heroic act dying, or they must be a higher rank

2. No, Relic rewards shouldn't be used... it's reknown and EXP and it really should be kept as that... adding another reward system would complicate things

3. Dealing with death early on is easy... they die, they die... and they shouldn't be allowed to continue until the Deathwatch team are reinforced, or he can take over the NPC... but he should learn to not be so reckless, in a Deathwatch novel there's a Ravenguard character who is incredibly cocky, he almost get's swiped by a genestealer and he learns to be more cautious from then on

and I'm relatively new to the GM'ing thing to, especially with Deathwatch.... but my honest advice, make things up as you go along, you'll find you write so many potential thoughts and actions out that you get to that stage and the Team takes a different route anyway ^_^
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:02 pm

TimmyTheNerd wrote:

Finally, I have a few questions for those who have experience with GMing Deathwatch.

im in the same situation, I will soon be GMing for the first time and it will be a deathwatch game

How do I feel about dreadnoughts. For me, it would just change the type of missions that I provide for the players, instead of stealthy missions, if someone becomes a dreadnought, then the missions will be heavier and much more combat orientated. However, I would only allow one dreadnought per kill team, as I think multiple dreadnoughts would be a bit ridiculous.

As for relic rewards? I plan to do this for my campaign. However it wouldn't be a frequent thing. The way I am planning to do it is, as soon as a character advances to a certain level of renown and rank, (this level would be fairly high), then that player would be deemed worthy enough to wield a relic. Another way I am thinking of doing it is to tie the relic in with missions, maybe a relic has gone missing and it is the kill-teams objective to find it? Maybe the team manage to rescue an entire star system where one of the player's chapters has heavy influence, and in reward that player is given a relic from a warrior of that chapter that fell long ago? Basically, I like the idea of relic rewards, but they should not be given frequently, nor should they be given near the start of campaigns, they should only be given if you feel a player has really earned it.

As for player deaths, players do have fate points which they can burn to save themselves from death, but if they have burnt the last point so soon, then either its a sign that the enemies you are facing them against are too strong, or the player is just far too reckless, in which case it is their fault and they will just have to make a new character, unless you want to think of a plot reason why that player would be kept alive (but don't do this too often as players may take this as a sign that they can be as reckless as they want)

anyway those are just my opinions, as I said, I haven't GMed before but plan to do deathwatch soon

computertrucker
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by computertrucker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 am

Fate points. I have Let characters rebuild one fate point after each full mission is completed *up to their starting maximum* But if they burn 2 during the said mission which happened last mission to one of my players he will still be starting the next mission minus 1 because he can only gain one back per mission.