GBXX: Sebell's Field House (Withdrawn)

The 20th Group Build! This one is a monster!
Marsdreamer
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: GBXX: Sebell's Field House

Post by Marsdreamer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 pm

This is looking absolutely amazing. A beautifully made structure and that thatching looks superb! I must know what it is and how you applied it.. Are you going to paint it as well?

If this piece gets finished, I can tell that it will probly get my vote -- the build is perfection.

>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

Sebell
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Sebell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:49 am

The thatched is nothing but twine that`s cut into about 1 inch pieces and unwound.
http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=articles&which=thatch Is where i got the idea from, it has several different types of thatching. I tried gluing it down with white glue but that was too messy as the glue tended to get everywhere and it made for messy thatch when the glue came up through it. After that i switched to a hot glue gun. I lay out a bout 2 inches of thatch on the table before me and then place a zig-zag of glue over a 1 inch area of the roof, then press the thatching into the hot glue. i found that you need a fair bit of thatch to glue ratio so that the roof below aka the cardboard doesn't show through. Yes i get small burns pushing it into the hot glue. I end up doing a fair bit of trimming to make the thatch look neater as not all the thatch will get stuck into the glue. Basically the whole thing has been trial and error and after this project i might take the next month off, though my GF is thinking she might jump into one of the upcoming builds as she has a a long Christmas break from university coming up.
Raven Guard: 2000 and growing
Painting eyes are the bane of my existence.

I think she missed her calling, she should have been a sister of battle. - Avitus

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:35 am

This thing is really starting to come together. The chimney looks great with the staggered bricks. Nice work on the outhouse, make sure there is a crescent moon on the door.

I have to say, I know the roof is a pain but it sure does look realistic. I really think this piece will look fantastic with roof fully completed and painted. I think it's worth the effort!

Keep up the good work.
...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Sebell
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Sebell » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:02 pm

This project is being shelved for now. I am unhappy with how it is turning out, the painting I've done on it is sub par and the overall look isn't agreeing with me. Hopefully I'll be coming back to it at a later date but for now I think I'm just going to go back to working on my space marines.
Raven Guard: 2000 and growing
Painting eyes are the bane of my existence.

I think she missed her calling, she should have been a sister of battle. - Avitus

Marsdreamer
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: GBXX: Sebell's Field House (Withdrawn)

Post by Marsdreamer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:06 pm

:shock: :( :cry:

Well, thats unfortunate because it looked like a real solid piece. I hope it comes together eventually.

Good luck Sebell!
>>Mars out.
What I'm Working On:

Chaos Daemons - WIP
Tau - WIP

War, war never changes.

genso6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by genso6 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm

everything Mars said. Good luck in the future, hopefully you can be back on track faster than those STC files I misplaced...
Fantasy
Throng of Karak Hirn: 1750 points
Men of the Ostermark: 2000 points
Orcs: 2000 points
Tzeentch WoC: 1500 points

Space Wolves: 2000 points
The Irongrad Renegade Alliance: 1250
Mordian 81st: 1000 points
Orks: 1250 points

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 am

Now Worries Sebell. Stuff happens from time to time and I would probably do the same as this piece was an incredible build it deserves a great paint job.
What exactly are you having problems with? PM me some pics if you want some advice, maybe we can work through it together.

Thanks for participating dude! :wink:

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Superior Man
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Superior Man » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Looks awesome so far. Too bad you had to stop the project. :-/
++++++++++++++++++
Update (06/08/2016): -> Battlefleet Gothic playthrough! <-
++++++++++++++++++

IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR!!!
O o
/¯/________________________
| BLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

phatmonk
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by phatmonk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:00 pm

looks beautiful. i need to get back on track with these group builds. i love that game too!
I agree with phatmonk -CrusherFex
thanks phatmonk -sharkvictim
Phatmonk got my vote... Great work, it's P.H.A.T. fat, Pretty. Hot. And. Tempting. -dangerdog
phatmonk, i can see what you mean -Italus-Cro

Return to “Group Build XX (20)”