Has Heavy Gear Blitz caught on with anyone?

News and discussions on Heavy Gear Blitz, Arena, the HG RPG, and Gear Krieg.
DavicusPrime
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Has Heavy Gear Blitz caught on with anyone?

Post by DavicusPrime » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm seriously looking into trying out Heavy Gear Blitz. I was just wondering if anyone other than Fireman Tim at MWG has given it a shot?

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Has Heavy Gear Blitz caught on with anyone?

Post by Dez » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm

I've been eyeballing Arena myself.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

azzerath

Post by azzerath » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:09 pm

I bought the smaller 2 player starter set, showed it off to the people I game with. No one is really interested in another game. In the couple sample games we've played there is a lot of rolling, and not a lot resulting from those rolls.

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 am

Looks like I'll finally be able to try out this game in Dec. Found a guy who lives 3hrs away to test the game out with. I really wish this game had a bigger following around here.

I've started making a few foamcore buildings. For some reason I'm really excited about making terrain for 1/144 scale stuff. I think I'm going to have to pick up a hamster ball now.

What I'd like to see now is someone to make a few videos of the "Beat Matt" style to better show the flow of the HGB activation process.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:52 pm

No one except me, is interested where i live. Mainly because im the only wargamer...
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:00 pm

i was interestred in it to, but i ahve a whole gmaing club plus ssiter that are looking at it, also IG love your location. :mrgreen:
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

jbrown1214
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by jbrown1214 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I have to say that I love the models, but not sure about the terrain, and it sounds like the gaming system itself is less-than-optimum. I haven't seen that many good batreps that give an idea of gameplay...anyone else?
New! I have a YouTube channel!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:22 pm

I haven't really seen any batreps either, also IG i would aply you if you lived anywhere close to me, plus you could help me try new armies so i can get to work on my new one :D
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 am

Heavy Gear Guy has been doing batreps for HGB but he typically does them in the "after action" style of showing results after turns rather than the "Beat Matt" style that I prefer. I think it would be better if someone out there was willing and able to try a "Beat Matt" style Report to show better how the turns flow.

The alternating activations makes me think that these games would have a lot more tactical flair than GW games. The "After Action" style reports just don't show that kind of detail.

But as far as things go, HeavyGearGuy is the only one I've seen doing HGB battle reports.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 am

azzerath wrote:I bought the smaller 2 player starter set, showed it off to the people I game with. No one is really interested in another game. In the couple sample games we've played there is a lot of rolling, and not a lot resulting from those rolls.
I have yet to play... First game is this coming weekend... but I've been doing some research on the game. It appears that the trick is learning how to get positive modifiers for your shots and/or forcing negative modifiers on your opponent's defense rolls to get kill shots.

Most of the basic weapons need a Margin of Success (MoS) of 2 to take off a box of damage. Which means beating the other player's roll by 2 or more to get some effective hits with their Autocannons. You can do this through a combination of maneuver (setting up crossfires) and using your unit leaders to coordinate attacks.

Then there's all the indirect fire options. Get one model's eyes on a target to Forward Observe and let the rest of the unit lob missiles and grenades into it.

Check out the Beasts of War site. They've got a couple good vids up now on how to play the game.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page