choosing a faction

News and discussions on Heavy Gear Blitz, Arena, the HG RPG, and Gear Krieg.
flatline
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: choosing a faction

Post by flatline » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:41 pm

azzerath wrote:I'm trying to figure out if what you can build in Gear Garage is always a legit army.
It may not be, GG is a fan-created program, so their maybe some broken rules in it. If you let them know over on DP9forum in the sticky though it will be corrected.
azzerath wrote:Specifically I'm trying to figure out if you can play a pure black talon army at all point ranges. It looks like the smallest point range it may not be possible.
You can't really. BT is an army where you really need to play at the minimum 700-800 TV range to stay competitive.
Check out my sporadic efforts at painting toy soldiers! http://flatline.6sided.net/

azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by azzerath » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Cool thanks man. I'll pick whatever my wife doesn't like out of the starter army and use that for the small engagements then.

flatline
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by flatline » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 am

azzerath wrote:Cool thanks man. I'll pick whatever my wife doesn't like out of the starter army and use that for the small engagements then.
Or you just jumble the rabble together and go Leagueless. They're best played once you've got some experience with the game, but then you can use all the models you like. :D
Check out my sporadic efforts at painting toy soldiers! http://flatline.6sided.net/

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:21 am

well i want to play cef/pak and my friend does too but we both like different aspects of the faction my friend wants only tanks and troops and i want the mechs only team so is this a good enough army to start playing a small game and be semi fair

me
CEF heavy frame squad

friend
earth grel infantry platoon
and PAK HPC-64 Hover APC/Command (idk what the difference this tank is from the others but it was cheaper so if someone could tell me what this one does it would be helpful)
khani wrote:you can still use port arthur without buying return to cats eye but its not the same thing just a bit different, also, tey give downloads of data cards on dp.com and they give this free army builder called gear garage that builds the army without the rulebook or return to cats eye, i would still get the rulebook to learn the rules but you could just download that and not get return to cats eye, and download the datacards
... :mrgreen:
so i don't need the return to cats eye book and could just use the locked and loaded book with the gear garage download?

flatline
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by flatline » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm

MoarDakka wrote:so i don't need the return to cats eye book and could just use the locked and loaded book with the gear garage download?
To clarify, PAK is in L&L, but if you wanted to use the Frames, they are part of the CEF, and the rules for that army are in Cat's Eye.

khani
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by khani » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:45 pm

pretty much what flatline said but if your short on money you could just run a pak army until you can buy return to cats eye, it completly fine to the download thing as well and you and your friend could just run to different parts of pak until you get return to cats eye.
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:37 am

yea but is what i was going to buy enough for a game

khani
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by khani » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 am

yes and more

flatline
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by flatline » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 am

MoarDakka wrote:and PAK HPC-64 Hover APC/Command (idk what the difference this tank is from the others but it was cheaper so if someone could tell me what this one does it would be helpful)
This unit isn't a tank. It's an armoured troop transport that you can upgrade the GRELS with to have one squad be mounted in it, or you can have it as the Command car which adds a satellite uplink (to regen command points) and have ECM capabilities.

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am

so what is a basic tank that can take down my heavy frames idk if the troops would be able to or not

khani

Post by khani » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 am

in the rulebook you have about 3 different types of howvertank. first there is the light hovertank that are liking tankgears, use these to take down light frames and to support heavier tanks. then there is the apc that is as the name suggests, a armoured perosonalle carrier mostly used to get your grels with heavy weaponry to spots where they can shoot down other infantry and tanks or even gears if no other foes are present. than you have your heavy tank, as the name suggest, this is used to kill other heavy units and to wreak general havoc, kill stuff like mammoths, fire dragons, thunder hammers, grizzlyies, cobras and black talons with these. grels are your infantry, generaly you can upgrade them in certain ways to make them stronger in certain things (if i remember there are 6 different type of grel) give them heavy weaponry and let them loose on your foes infantry and tanks while accompained by a apc to give support as well as to move around faster. Most of the hover tanks have two or three types, each a newer model that is better then its original, so for example, the heavy hover tak has about two tiers of strenght, the higher the tier, the stronger they become and the better weapons they carry. hope this helps.

flatline
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by flatline » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:42 am

MoarDakka wrote:so what is a basic tank that can take down my heavy frames idk if the troops would be able to or not
If by troops you mean GRELs it depends on what weapons you equip them with. If you give them rocket launchers with AGMs, they should be able to take out the Frames. I've used Northern infantry with the same weapon in the past and they've been able to take out both Grizzlies and Cobras.

Sniperfex
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Sniperfex » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 am

i picked Black Talons because they're the best of the best, i fielded 3 models in 605 points and played against about 7....

Black Talons are tough as nails as my friend Crysbat found out on thursday although i lost because i was just out of range of the objective... their wepons have been modified from other armies... i believe the LRG (Light rail gun) is only damge... for black talons they can increase the damage
"Do you really want to waste your time
Wake up and live your life
I want to be your chemical ride"

Sniperfex, ruining people's hopes and dreams since 1993

Sparks
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sparks » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 am

is the Black Talon starter out? There is a listing on DP9's site but no picture or price

I have fond memories of play as them in Heavy Gear 2
Wasted Focus
Veteran of Warmachine Weekend 2011
"I would suggest listening to Sparks, hes like a wizard" ~ Paladin-Zebra

HeavyGearGuy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HeavyGearGuy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 am

The Talon starter is coming. The pod is also about to release a new faction; NuCoal. I think they are busy there.
Gear-Tube; Heavy Gear Videos

DreamPod9 the home of Heavy Gear.