on the edge of warhammer and heavy gear blitz

News and discussions on Heavy Gear Blitz, Arena, the HG RPG, and Gear Krieg.
MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

on the edge of warhammer and heavy gear blitz

Post by MoarDakka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 pm

So I just got some aobr orks and now I found out about Heavy Gear Blitz!!!! (nice timing mwg) the game looks really fun but I just have a few questions before i make the final decision on warhammer 40k or heavy gear I wanna focus on just one.

1. In fireman Tim's video intro on HGB he said that the miniatures are difficult to put together and hard to work with. could somebody explain to me some of the things i would have to deal with while working with the minis
2. I notice there aren't a lot of miniature needed to play this but what is the price comparison between this and warhammer 40k (i play orks so i would need a lot of minis)
3. I also notice there are two types of heavy gear correct me if im wrong but what is the diffrence between heavy gear arena and heavy gear blitz is one game more fast pace or more of a scrimmage match because the 2 player starter set for heavy gear arena here at miniwargaming is very cheap compared to some other mini war games

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: on the edge of warhammer and heavy gear blitz

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 am

I have been playing HGB with Tim and found that the number of models needed can vary depending on the size and scope of the game you wish to play. There is the Threat Value which concerns the point total assigned to the squads or models you have , and the priority level which determines which makeup of squad types you can field to meet the requirements for that level. You can start off with just a squad or two ( a starter army from a particular faction is a great way to start, for just over a $100) or buy the models in blisters etc. for great prices at Miniwargaming. Models run about $15 for a twopack of gears to $ 30-35 for the bigger models such as Striders or tanks. The minis are no harder to assemble than GW products, just that sometimes you kind of have to figure out how some weapons etc. mount( not that bad actually). I have close to 40 models put together for about 3000 pts. and have no problems assembling them now. the best thing to do is to check out http://www.dp9.com ( buy your stuff through Miniwargaming, it's cheaper and you are supporting the club)to check out the different factions and the models, as there are loads of great and varied armies to chose from. It also shows HGA, which is more of a " monster truck" individual one on one gear battle forum in an arena setting. Tim and I have played some games and it is pretty fast paced with good combat and strategy. Try it out. I'm sure you could arrange with Tim to play a demo game, I did and enjoyed it.
"Dying only hurts until your dead, so quit your crying and die already"

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:00 am

Does the store carry HGB two player starters? I want to try showing it to the people at my game store they don't carry HGB I would expect that it would be cheaper to buy a 2 player set than buy 2 separate armys.also there are no codex's correct so if I buy one of the starters and get the rule book i won't need to spend more money on other books for other army's?

ravingmad8
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by ravingmad8 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm

The rulebook contains all the information for the North, South, Peace River,Port Arthur Korps, and the Leagueless. If you would like to play the armies of Caprice, Utopia, Eden, or Black Talon you would have to purchase the supplement book that contains that army.

As for your original questions:

1. The miniatures are pewter so if you are unfamiliar with assembling pewter miniature there could be a bit of a learner curve. However, I've found the miniatures to be very clean with hardly any mold lines or flashing to take care of. Also, most of the arms of the gears have a tab that fits into a slot on the torso so pinning really isn't necessary. I would recommend using the green stuff and super glue trick just to make sure the joint is tight. The only area I might consider pinning is the torso to the legs and the V engine to the back because those parts just butt up to each other with no real tabs or slots.
2. As far as prices are concerned I would recommend getting a starter army box which will contain 9 to 10 miniatures depending upon the army you want plus the datatcards, rulebook, and a tape measure, or they do make a 2 player starter box which contains a 5 gear G.P. squad for the North and a 5 gear G.P. squad for the South along with the rulebook, datacards, and rulers. If you get a starter army box or the 2 player box set they are going to run you about a little over 100 dollars US. Now comparing this to let's say getting started with 40k Orks you would need the rulebook $58, codex $29, lets say a battleforce $90, and an HQ choice $20 so a total of $197 US. However, you wouldn't be able to compete competitively with that Ork army. With a Heavy Gear starter with all the weapon and equipment options you could play competitively with just the starter. If you would like to expand your army with more gears you are looking at 40 to 50 dollars per gear squad because gears usually operate in squads of 5 to 6 gears. However, most of the time you only play with 10 to 16 miniatures because any more then that and it gets a little harder to keep track of all the datacards.
3. I have only played Heavy Gear blitz so can't really be to helpful with an Arena questions, but I can relay what I've heard about the game. Heavy Gear Blitz is your army fighting army where Arena is your individual gear jocks fighting each other for entertainment of the crowd and cash and fabulous prizes. With Blitz your are going to be using squads of gears and other units like infantry and tanks. With arena you are going to be playing with a couple of gears that are armed to the teeth and the focus will be on individual actions not squad actions.

I hope this helps you out.

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 pm

thank you for the help and I have worked with pewter before but i don't have any heavy gear minis and i heard there are tons of customization choices for your gears but I also read that magnetizing the gears is nearly impossible I can see how this would be difficult with all the different weapons and different poses for each one but i just wanted to hear some more thoughts on this because i would find it a waste to buy a single gear with 6 different weapon choices but use only one. if there is a way to magnetize the minis can someone send me a link for a tutorial on how to do it.

ravingmad8
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by ravingmad8 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:49 pm

I did find this article awhile back about magnetizing Heavy Gear:

http://firebroadside.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ow-to.html

Heavy Gear is like 40k in which each unit has various war gear available to it. However, using this war gear will increase the TV(Threat Value) of the squad. Also, some weapon options are limited within the squad. For example, the Southern General Purpose Cadre which are basic troops have the light bazooka available to them, but only two gears out of the squad can be equipped with them. So while you may want to magnetize some of the gears other you may just want to glue together with their standard load out.

MoarDakka
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by MoarDakka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:17 pm

thanks a lot for the link and info it will really help I think I'm going to buy a single gear then test out magnetizing it if it goes well ill magnetize another and keep one with its standard layout probably some northern hunters. does MWG have the 2 player starter pack for blitz in there store cause i can't find it i can only find the arena starter?

Kaladorn1959
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Kaladorn1959 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 am

you have to order it, I've found that for the most part you do not need to magnetize the gears as they carry quite a bit of firepower already. The striders and the tanks may be a place you can do that, although with the tanks the turrets are interchangable.
"Dying only hurts until your dead, so quit your crying and die already"

khani
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by khani » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:26 am

there is a full plege review about the two player starter kit if you want it. in a nut shell it contains 10 minis (5 north and 5 south) a 202 pages white and black rulebook, a tape measure, 4 d6 and the info cards for all of them (like in warmachine).
http://wargameguru.weebly.com/in-focus- ... r-set.html
the reviews really helpfull, i am getting the interpolar war began too!
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman