Heavy Gear Blitz Demo Miniatures and Terrain WIP

News and discussions on Heavy Gear Blitz, Arena, the HG RPG, and Gear Krieg.
Fireman Tim
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Heavy Gear Blitz Demo Miniatures and Terrain WIP

Post by Fireman Tim » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:38 pm

I got my order from Dream Pod 9 yesterday (4 days from time of order to door...Wooo Hooo!)

Assembly of the figures is a bit daunting at first, but I was able to assemble two squads in about 2 hours. I did not pin them (I wish I had a small enough bit), but I may have to in the future. Lets see how the glue holds up.

There are assembly instructions on the dp9 webpsite. http://www.dp9.com/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=135

It is best to read through the rulebook and use the free force generator called Gear Garage https://www.assembla.com/spaces/GearGarage/documents before you start assembling your squads.

Northern GP Squad

Southern GP Cadre

Figures and Demo Table Terrain

Next I have to build a 4'x3' demo table and paint the figures.

As for the Rule book, I read through some of it last night. The Rulebook contains 5 basic army lists covering Northern, Southern, Peace River, Port Arthur and Leagueless armies. The Northern and Southern armies can be further broken down to 4 Northern and 5 Southern List variants covering the various states in each alliance. There are 6 different Leagueless factions, so that gives you 17 different army lists that you can field from the basic rule book (Take that GW!)

The Rules are 22 pages long (yup thats it!), are very indepth and actually involve hi tech warfare concepts like Electronic Warfare, Sensors, Forward Observation and Communications.

The book also includes 18 pages of Scenario, campaign, league play and tournament rules.

Then there is 133 pages of army lists, background fluff, quick reference sheets, time lines, data cards, information on all the gears, striders, tanks, apcs and infantry used by the above mentioned army lists, and painting guides. (whew!)

200+ pages, well designed and illustrated.

More pics to come.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Fireman Tim
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #2Group Build Badge #4Group Build Badge #5

Re: Heavy Gear Blitz Demo Miniatures and Terrain WIP

Post by Fireman Tim » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:52 am

Fixed the sand colour on the terrain. I have to duplicate it on the gears. Almost done the demo terrain. I have 4 hills yet to finish, portable table, palm trees and decals yet to add.

"Kneel before Zod!"

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 am

That looks great! I look forward to trying out some demo games.

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Can you take some closer ups of individual units? They look pretty neat, like an imperial engineer converted tau battlesuits to imperial tech and gave it a more imperial aesthetic :D
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am

Would love to join you guys for some demos... though I'm quite far away:P
Cool minis. IMHO just a bit plain. How about some markings like crosshairs, text or other signs on the parts.
The terrain looks cool. Did you make those statues yourself? Very effective terrain dude. Let the review of the game come:D
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the positive remarks.

The pics of the gears I posted are of the 'Grunt' type. Yes, very plain, but they are intended to teach the mechanics of the game (ie Space Marines vs Ork boys). The game gets much more interesting when you incorporate fire support, infantry, tanks and Electronic warfare units.

The cool gears are the recon, heavy, elite and striders IMHO.

Here are a few pics from the DP9 website of the 'Cooler' gears. Check out their website for a full gallery of all their products.

http://www.dp9.com/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=71

Demo games will begin next week at the MWG Club (Battle report included). Check back for more details.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm

The cool ones are sorta hit or miss imo, the first and 3rd are by far the best...The second looks rather derpity.
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

RedSpy1
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by RedSpy1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 pm

the red bull is one of the first guys i want out of these. man please do some vids!
You kiddin? They use babies with sharp teeth as bullets over there. - Mattman154 [on China's efficiency in combat]

HeavyGearGuy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HeavyGearGuy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Fireman Tim wrote:Demo games will begin next week at the MWG Club (Battle report included). Check back for more details.
Cant wait to hear what you guys think of it.
:)
Gear-Tube; Heavy Gear Videos

DreamPod9 the home of Heavy Gear.

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 pm

I have read through the rules about 3 times now. There are lots of new tactical concepts that I have not played with in a while (ie concealment, forward observation, indirect fire, combat lock (which is really just a more in depth way of calculating line of site), active lock (using radar and sensors to detect targets), guided munitions, target designators.

The game mechanics are really not that complex, its just a matter of retraining the mind (from years of 40k). They have a real sci-fi feel, like you are fighting with advanced weaponry. The damage rules are great. I love it that accurate shots (Margin of success) will multiply the damage you inflict .

The rules I really like are the electronic warfare (sounds boring, but its not). Jamming and counter jamming communications, preventing forward observing and blocking the use of command points.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm

I will be running demo games of Heavy Gear Blitz on Saturday Dec 4th from 12pm to 2pm. Sci-Fi Mecha combat at its best!

"Kneel before Zod!"

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Will you be making a video? I'm very interested in this game.

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, I'll try and make a video. Pics definately.
"Kneel before Zod!"

Fireman Tim

Post by Fireman Tim » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:03 pm

"Kneel before Zod!"

HeavyGearGuy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HeavyGearGuy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Nice report!
Its great to see other people getting into the game. :)
Gear-Tube; Heavy Gear Videos

DreamPod9 the home of Heavy Gear.