GBXIX: opo368 start!

The 19th Group Build! Get to it!
opo368
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

GBXIX: opo368 start!

Post by opo368 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 am

09/09/10
hey guys, i thought i'd just join in for some terrain building :wink:

i haven't gotten very far yet but i intend to show my work in a step by step fashion. as of now, the only thing thats done is the actual base of the terrain piece :lol:

nonetheless i might as well walk you guys through my work space---
here is just a picture of my work space, which is just a random chinese newspaper i had lying around:
and here is what will become my base:

one problem that i had the last time i used cardboard as a base, was that there was clearly openings at the edges, which you can see in these pictures:
i intend to cover these holes, by wrapping the cardboard in cardpaper from the Quacker box.

and here is the finished result:

i basically just threw masking tape all over it to hold it together: Image

as you can see here there is no longer large amounts of gaps at the edges that are exposed: Image

one thing that i would like to mention is that when i first taped it together, there was space between the cardpaper and the cardboard, i solved this by pouring in some pva glue and putting some textbooks on it for a while.

i wont reveal what im building yet because its a suprise, but i will update this thread as often as i can to show you guys some progress :)

PS: is there a way i can hide parts of my post? because the pictures are taking up quite alot of space, and i dont want you guys to have to scroll through all of them each time. i use to use spoiler boxes in other threads, but i cant seem to find them here. am i just blind?
also known as: TheImmovableBagel
as well as: TheFlyingLandWhale

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: GBXIX: opo368 start!

Post by Blue » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 am

Nice start dude. Happy to see some more people join in the fun.
Usually for cardboard people would use an air-dry clay to fill the edges in. It's fairly cheap and easy once done. You could also use paper mache, I feel the paper might warp once painted.

For the spoilers check the Faqs link. It's probably in there somewhere. I have never used them myself.

Good luck and get us some progress.
...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

opo368

Post by opo368 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 pm

yep paper mache is my next step, but first i need to get all the materials for the stuff ontop of the "ground" so that i can build the "ground" around the objects with said paper mache. then ill cover it up with dirt in the same way i had done the trench. but this time i will have less mud :lol: , not that i wont have any :twisted:

IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

Looks good, can't wait for more, I'll join the group builds in the early part of 2011 cuz of havin most of my high school cores in the first semester. I would join this if I had the time but I just don't, but this will give me inspiration for "art" projects
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

opo368

Post by opo368 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 pm

hey guys, i havnt updated in a while. so i guess ill do so now. here is a picture of what it looked like yesterday:

i added a few dragon's teeth (and some destroyed ones), the base of a watertower, and a large crater in the center that i made with paper mache. i also put in a few rocks here and there to spice things up a little.

you may notice that the base was modified. i cut out the center of the base in order to make the crater deeper. i also put a thin cardpaper border under and around the original base. so that i can make a sloped end of the terrain piece instead of an awkward ledge.

heres a picture of the bottom
you can see how i added the brown card paper, ontop(moreless under) the cardboard. yes i use masking tape alot.

right now ive actually already added the sand and some other stuff. ill post pics when i have time later today. i have a deadline to meet :evil:

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 am

Hard to see without the paint but looks pretty good.
Don't forget, you need to finish by midnight tonight!

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

opo368

Post by opo368 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:58 pm

i've been set back a little, so i probably wont be able to finish by tonight. especially since i got school tomorrow.

ill see what i can do. but for now you guys should probably count me out of this one. good luck to the rest of the participants :wink:

Return to “Group Build XIX (19)”