It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chaos and Guard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

So last Apocalypticon i attended, I brought 8000 pts of combined guard and Dark angels. But I have recently aquired a large chaos force, and I don't want to pick between bringing Imperium and Xenos, so my question is, if my Guard are all modelled as Traitors and painted like traitors would be; would you allow me to bring my chaos forces and renegade guard? I am asking as I am trying to figure out if I should go all chaos, i.e. convert all my stuff, or if the answer is no, I won't bother and bring my Imperial Guard army.

Thanks!
-Sean

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

Post subject: Re: Chaos and Guard
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges
Of cours you can, you wold still have tto us the guarrd codex but the can still ook like renegades

6th Edition tally
Orks: Win 11 Loss 1 Draw 0

Chaos Space Marines: Win 13 Loss 4 Draw 0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thanks Spartan, but I really wanted the ok from Matt, before I start to convert anything.

"Apocalypticon is like an arms race on plastic crack and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

You said you had Dark Angels as well, you could just use them as Fallen Angels.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

As of page 117 of the apoc book, Chaos can take any Imperial formations which in my mind includes IG, SM, SW, BT, and BA. I'd say not GK and SoB as I think that would be kind of a stretch (maybe cultists as SoB? that would be cool). I personally wouldn't mind if the player I was against used any of those armies' datasheets as chaos as long as he/she told me about them.

The key is they have to be adapted to chaos i.e. using chaos rules or subbing out non chaos units or upgrades for their appropriate equivalents and costs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I would have to disagree on how wide a net you cast on what formations Chaos can take. For one, many of the models that the formations call for are not the same models. Secondly, I am fairly positive that the wording refers only to the Imperium section, not all the space marine sections, especially the non-codex versions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Aegis wrote:
I would have to disagree on how wide a net you cast on what formations Chaos can take. For one, many of the models that the formations call for are not the same models.

The note specifically mentions a non chaos model as being allowed for chaos usage "Traitor Artillery Batteries" = IG basilisks

Aegis wrote:
Secondly, I am fairly positive that the wording refers only to the Imperium section, not all the space marine sections, especially the non-codex versions.

The text is in the SM section and included on a SM datasheet, it also refers to IG units being allowed. The section that defines 'Imperium' forces (for apocs sake) specifically mentions Titans, Imperial Navy, GKs, and SoB as being a part of that moniker (pg.122-123). Under strategic command it specifically mentions a BA model as well.

I could be wrong but the consensus I've seen/read has been that Chaos can take pretty much any Imperial datasheet as their own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 am 
Site Admin

I agree that Chaos can take almost any Imperial formation.

Just keep it within reason...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Awesome. I will keep it in reason. Really the only two Imperial datasheets i would use are the Shadowsword, and maybe the tank company, but i dont like the squads in the Tank company. This mean that I need to get converting...

Thanks for the responses. Also just to clarify, I am just converting my guard to look renegade. I wont be bringing any "special rules" like vehicle possesion or anything like that to the guard dex. So it will be a Ig army and a Chaos army.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 am 
Gold Vault Member

miniwargaming wrote:
I agree that Chaos can take almost any Imperial formation.

Just keep it within reason...

My only concern is the person on the other side of the table, if you have units from 6 codexes it's going to be a PITA to figure out what's what, and keep the game going in any form of speed.

I would like to suggest photocopying any formation/units you use and putting them in a folder you have with you - and all the supporting books/codexes in the bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Sorry JJ not everyone knows their codexes by heart. 8)

On a serious note I always bring my dexes, plus they're good reads for the 6 hour drive, and stops. But, yes I would bring all the codexes, which would just be the IG dex and Chaos Dex. In fact I will probably just use guardsmen as the lost and damned datasheet, then just use the IG tank entry from the IG dex, so it will be chaos, will "mutant" allies, and a traitor IG tank company.