House Rules (need your input)

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: House Rules (need your input)

Post by Aegis » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Question regarding Stormravens. In the white dwarf it was introduced in, there is a comment made regarding its status as a flyer in Apoc. games. Now, from my understanding, this hardly constitutes an official ruling on it. As such, can we just remove all doubt, and say whether it can be used as a flyer (considering it is meant to be an orbital deployment vehicle as well as a skimmer), or if we should call it just a fast skimmer.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 am

fluffyfen wrote:why is the chaos conclave banned exactly? if its the apoc barrage thing maybe you can limit it to one for every 2 named characters? or even just a maximum of 2 barrages?
It's because of the disruptor beacons making it impossible for your opponent to deploy properly.
Aegis wrote:Question regarding Stormravens. In the white dwarf it was introduced in, there is a comment made regarding its status as a flyer in Apoc. games. Now, from my understanding, this hardly constitutes an official ruling on it. As such, can we just remove all doubt, and say whether it can be used as a flyer (considering it is meant to be an orbital deployment vehicle as well as a skimmer), or if we should call it just a fast skimmer.
I would say to use it as a Fast Skimmer. There isn't enough Anti-Aircraft to make a common vehicle like Stormravens flyers.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 am

In terms of items that should not (but do) work on gargants you have the daemons boon of mutation and the pavane of slaneesh.

I would also ask that cross-over datasheets and rules would not follow into apoc. i.e. ppl taking planetstrike, spearhead, storm of magic units, etc.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

Vache Glace wrote:In terms of items that should not (but do) work on gargants you have the daemons boon of mutation and the pavane of slaneesh.

I would also ask that cross-over datasheets and rules would not follow into apoc. i.e. ppl taking planetstrike, spearhead, storm of magic units, etc.
Really? Storm of magic? This I would love to see!!
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

fluffyfen
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:47 pm

dont grey knights have disrupter beacons also?
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:09 pm

so since no cover saves will be allowed on superheavys this means that stomas cant have big meck force fields? and grot riggers wont be able to repair weapons?

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:04 am

I cannot remember. Was it really just the Stompas that were able to make use of all those cover saves and repair rolls? Where I was on the board, none of the Titans had anything to hide behind, so I do not know for sure.

Either, looks like my cover save inducing fortress walls are out. Oh well, that was kind of beardy to begin.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 pm

my opponent was making cover saves on his force fields via. big meks inside the stompas, i thought it was cheesy as hell by nobody seemed to agree with me, my army was designed to kill a reaver or smaller a turn, and i could not kill a single 500 point stompa with 25 tanks, so im glad that rule is gone!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:39 am

Quick question regarding the house rule regarding cover saves and super heavies. Is that simply covering abilities that grant it, or does that include terrain? Basically, to use the Stompas as an example, if one stompa is obscuring another behind it, is the one behind granted a cover save, providing 50% of it hidden from view? Or we simply stating that a superheavy, regardless of intervening terrain and abilities, is never granted a cover save?

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:42 pm

I think it's referring to giving something a cover save (KFF) rather than an innate one (cover, smoke launchers etc.)

Having no cover saves on all superheavies no matter what would make some superheavy-flyers quite terribad.

PS. What about Pulsa Rockets? (I think that's what they're called) They seem to be quite insane when it comes to lagging the game down to a crawl (maybe limit to one?)

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Vache Glace wrote: What about Pulsa Rockets? (I think that's what they're called) They seem to be quite insane when it comes to lagging the game down to a crawl (maybe limit to one?)
WAIT, if thats what Im thinking of, lets not ban them, if you want to waste your own time GOOD! Maybe just pay attention to the time limit.....

I played against Orks last year and the guy wasted maybe 20 minutes of HIS OWN time trying to hit stuff (some missle stops when you roll doubles... he didnt roll doubels, he also only managed like one wound). He ran outta time = his own fault. I believe he had 8k I had 5k, if this didnt happen, he woulda tabled me by lunch. HE ran outta time and couldnt assault.
Seems like banning things because they take to long goes against a time limit.

Also maybe the points could be more even... like I had 5k... I dont want to pay money to play a 8k army....
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 pm

camsmclean wrote:
Vache Glace wrote: What about Pulsa Rockets? (I think that's what they're called) They seem to be quite insane when it comes to lagging the game down to a crawl (maybe limit to one?)
WAIT, if thats what Im thinking of, lets not ban them, if you want to waste your own time GOOD! Maybe just pay attention to the time limit.....

I played against Orks last year and the guy wasted maybe 20 minutes of HIS OWN time trying to hit stuff (some missle stops when you roll doubles... he didnt roll doubels, he also only managed like one wound). He ran outta time = his own fault. I believe he had 8k I had 5k, if this didnt happen, he woulda tabled me by lunch. HE ran outta time and couldnt assault.
Seems like banning things because they take to long goes against a time limit.

Also maybe the points could be more even... like I had 5k... I dont want to pay money to play a 8k army....
Lol i don't really care if people take them it's just a time management suggestion. If u took like 5+ you would be spending 40+ min allocating wounds. Also it screws up your opponents because it would make like 7/8ths of the table difficult/dangerous which would also eat up a lot of time in the other person's phase.

On the pts. management thing, you kinda got the short end of the stick because of the long table edges. I think you would have fared much better on a longer board with some CC support on your edges.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm

As far as time management and army sizes, I personally see little reason to have a model/point cap. Since we are playing with fixed turn times, if we cannot finish moving/shooting/assault in our turn, then that is our problem.

The two years we have played this game, everyone has shown that they can be good sports and put the dice down if time is called. By removing this restriction I think we will simply have a much more impressive spread, and come closer to hitting that million point mark.

Of course the strongest argument I can see against removing the cap is balance, in the sense that there is only a handful of players who can field a force much larger than what we have been seeing on the table.

Tyranid96
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Tyranid96 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:33 am

Can we make a house rule where Dreadnoughts with 2 Autocannons are AA mounts as they are not any different from Hyrda Flak Tanks
Blood Angels: Angels Sanguine 10,000pts +
Tyranids: Hive Fleet Andromedous- 3.5k+
Orks: 2500 pts
Grey Knights: 1750+
IG: 1500+

Cygnar:224
Legion: 70
Retribution: 75

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:22 am

Aegis wrote:As far as time management and army sizes, I personally see little reason to have a model/point cap. Since we are playing with fixed turn times, if we cannot finish moving/shooting/assault in our turn, then that is our problem.
I agree here, and like I mentioned the time cap acually saved me big time, as my ork opponent ran outta time.

I just found it odd I was running 5k against 8k (felt like he had 8k, hope I dont suck that bad).... my shooting (IG... like I cc!) was done in maybe 20 min.... the Ork guy ran outta time more than once... but like you said Aegis, we have a cool group so he dropped his dice at 45 mins. And 45 makes you prioritize and such.
This year I think I can bump my points up alot (especially if I get a titan, or 2 done).

Ya, and as you said VacheGlace, I honestly thought it would be long wise... I mean its 100% my fault for assuming, I should have ran different.

NOW, I had a great time and my opponent was uber cool and fun guy, with a awesome army. He was in a batrep recently... Dan or Dave.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted