House Rules (need your input)

Apocalypticon has been discontinued. Click here for all the details
Laughterofgods
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: House Rules (need your input)

Post by Laughterofgods » Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Randolph, I've got a 3rd Stompa painted up now. Maybe I'll manage to get one of them into combat with your titan this time around. Darn thunderhawk gunship's.

Randolph
Gold Vault Member

Post by Randolph » Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 pm

@Laughterofgods - Since last year many tournament organizers have made it so that flyers/skimmers do not block movement at all. This might be something to consider as a house rule for this year's apoc. It was a little cheesy last year, but it was also part of my battle strategy.

What do you think Matt? A house rule that says flyers cannot block movement with their bases?
15k Crimson Fist Fully Painted
5k Celestial Lions Fully Painted
40k Titan Legion
Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu May 10, 2012 1:45 pm

That sounds fine to me, although it will be hard to get the models where you need them to go.

dRewsus
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by dRewsus » Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm

would they then not block los?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 pm

I would say no.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

miniwargaming wrote:I would say no.
But would still work against other flyers though?

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Flyers never block line of site, unless they are landed.

Kymmerus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Sat May 12, 2012 9:57 am

Grey Knights, and their "Grenades of Goodness" against Gargantuan Creatures?

There are a bunch of grenade effects that GKs get (reducing toughness, Causing psykers to go at I1 and the "Table of Randomness" for the psychotroke grenade) that can be pretty rude to gargantuan creatures.

I had this come up last year and there's nothing written about a gargantuan defense against em to my knowledge.

In the case of the psychotrokes its basically a 15 pt upgrade that has a good chance to nullify something like a hierophant or one of the large chaos demons for a turn.

Even just the psyk-outs on a basic GK squad can mean HUGE pain for a psyker gargantuan like a hierophant. Even a small squad of GKs, striking first, with their force thunderhammers have a decent chance of killing a biotitan in one round.

I remember last year that the GKs I faced did far more damage far more quickly than I had expected on my biotitans... which was great, I had a surprising challenge which rocked! (And made me pick up a GK army after seeing all those cool toys tear the triplets apart!!) But it did strike me as something to consider for the next years game.

(I'm likely running the Gargantuan Creature Battleherd again this year, just gotta verify time off on the Friday to be there!)

jae4x4
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by jae4x4 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:54 pm

sounds like something that should fall under "physic attacks" against gargantuan creatures

Kymmerus wrote:Grey Knights, and their "Grenades of Goodness" against Gargantuan Creatures?

There are a bunch of grenade effects that GKs get (reducing toughness, Causing psykers to go at I1 and the "Table of Randomness" for the psychotroke grenade) that can be pretty rude to gargantuan creatures.

I had this come up last year and there's nothing written about a gargantuan defense against em to my knowledge.

In the case of the psychotrokes its basically a 15 pt upgrade that has a good chance to nullify something like a hierophant or one of the large chaos demons for a turn.

Even just the psyk-outs on a basic GK squad can mean HUGE pain for a psyker gargantuan like a hierophant. Even a small squad of GKs, striking first, with their force thunderhammers have a decent chance of killing a biotitan in one round.

I remember last year that the GKs I faced did far more damage far more quickly than I had expected on my biotitans... which was great, I had a surprising challenge which rocked! (And made me pick up a GK army after seeing all those cool toys tear the triplets apart!!) But it did strike me as something to consider for the next years game.

(I'm likely running the Gargantuan Creature Battleherd again this year, just gotta verify time off on the Friday to be there!)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am

Inclined to agree that there should be a ruling. The way I like to look at it, would a tiny little grenade really affect a gargantuan creature in that way?

I think in the face of logic, we should say that those grenades would not affect titan sized critters. Though, their may be a case for the rad, definitely not the pschotroke or psyk-out grenades.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

SatireSphere
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by SatireSphere » Mon May 14, 2012 2:21 am

Kymmerus wrote: I remember last year that the GKs I faced did far more damage far more quickly than I had expected on my biotitans... which was great, I had a surprising challenge which rocked! (And made me pick up a GK army after seeing all those cool toys tear the triplets apart!!) But it did strike me as something to consider for the next years game.
I remember my Grand master personally wracked up two or three gargantuans with his force hammer :)

It was a pleasure to play you two nid guys last year and hope we get matched up again! I ditched the grey knights though and am bringing space wolves + guard this time.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon May 14, 2012 8:58 am

I agree that special rules that affect psykers, or other things that the GK grenades do should probably be nullified against Gargantuans.

Can somebody give me a list of all the effects they could do? Some might still work (like I1 stuff).

SatireSphere
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by SatireSphere » Mon May 14, 2012 3:17 pm

I think the Psyk-out (initiative 1 vs psykers and daemon in the round the knights assault) grenades are acceptable vs Gargantuans and Titans but the psychotroke (super random table with results that may involve attacking yourself and other such nastiness) shouldn't work in the same vein that mindshackle scarabs don't work.

The rad grenades (-1 toughness in the round the knights assault) are fine too I think.

Vache Glace
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Vache Glace » Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

I think all of these things fall into the category of stuff that acts like psychic powers, smells like psychic powers, and walk like psychic powers but aren't actually psychic. It's kinda like boon of mutation or mindshackle, and if those are banned vs gargants then psych grenades + variants vs gargants should be as well. Force weapons should also not cause multiple wounds vs gargantuans.

It's also a matchup thing. Putting Tyranids or Daemons vs GKs to begin with is asking for a table wipe. It's the same with like Orks vs extreme mechanization or Tau vs extreme amounts of footslogging.

The-Reaper
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by The-Reaper » Tue May 15, 2012 10:34 am

I wouldn't say Grey Knights vs Daemons is an autowipe. I play Chaos Daemons for one and plan on bringing a null field generator asset. This handy little asset cancels psychic powers (including force weapons) within 36" of the generator on a 2+.