It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some ideas for 2012
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:12 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Just a bunch of random thoughts I came home with for ideas for next year, please discuss!

1. How about an option to be a "support" player, something for the titan/aircraft players - you aren't assigned a table but a "zone". You don't get to use anything less than a superheavy/flyer or greater than 200 point stuff? That way the big stuff will have a sizable force and opponent to worry about while the "little" stuff fights.

2. Aircraft table, all aircraft are set up on a "dogfight" table turn 1 before they can arrive into the main battle

3. Make it more of a giant battle royal, less fixed "you can only deploy on this table" and more of a "Here is your teams tables, go" though this would take more setup and planning time, but truly make it more of a team fight.

4. Post specific house rulings onto a stickied/locked page that only MWG can update, and that will be finalized at least 2 weeks prior to the game. Things like changing "You can now use more than one codex" less than a week prior to the game really isn't fair to the folks to planned ahead. Also a list of what codexes will be allowed - there were some outdated ones I ran into that were no longer "legal" in normal 40k.

5. Lock out army changes 2 weeks prior to the game, things like your points/formations/supers can't be changed to allow MWG to have a chance at some balance.

6. This one I don't know how to figure out yet, but there needs to be some help in the shooting into a "table" where there is 5-6 people all trying to shoot into a single table, that person just gets overwhelmed trying to roll everything.

7. Set the tables up with 2 12x4 (long edge like normal 40k) tables and a 3' buffer between them. One team has one table, the other team on the other. Repeat this block as many times as needed with 3' between them for walking. You ignore the 3' "walking space" for movement and small arms, but larger weapons(titans/earthshakers/etc) keep it for ranged attacks?

as in:
-- -- --
-- -- --

8. Themed battle, like "Xenos is smashing the Imperium's giant fortress" where you have fortress walls, some trench works and such for the imperium side and set it up like a giant battlefield.

9. Set up sub forums for each "team" that they can coordinate and talk privately between each other to get things lined up before the big game? When you pay for your ticket, you are assigned a team and then unlock that teams forum. Would call for no switching sides however up till the game...

Last edited by jj3 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Some ideas for 2012
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:17 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

if 1 million points is the goal for next game i think the model count should be upped a little.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

One thing i think should change is get rid of the whole objective markers. What i mean by this is instead of just a kill fest with the last turn sitting on useless marks on the ground , have certain objectives. For example have imperial guard strong point / defensive walls / bunker and the Xenos must capture the whole base, or destroy it. Have one big objective every other table and then the players not on tables with objectives help their allies.

ie.
- table one = Imperium Fortress Walls Defence = 3 pts if defended, 5 if captured
- table two = nothing
- table three = Xenos Landing Site = 3 pts if defended, 5 points if beacon is destroyed (and every turn its still up and running Xenos get addition reinforcements, like orbital bombardments)
- table four = nothing
... and so on and so forth, no more aquarium jewels to capture!

I also don't like the whole secret objective thing and think it should be removed, if you want more ways to score points i say you class super heavy's, and kills upon those classes get you points (this way more titans will target more titans)

ie.
- super heavy 0-500 pts = 1 point
- super heavy 501-1000 pts = 2 points
- super heavy 1001-5000 pts = 3 points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 pm 
Gold Vault Member

jae4x4 wrote:

Or just make it 1 point per 2 structure points of the super heavy - keeps the math simple.

The issue is then you need to have equal supers on both sides for that to work properly, or have some other objectives worth equal points for balance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

jj3 wrote:
jae4x4 wrote:

Or just make it 1 point per 2 structure points of the super heavy - keeps the math simple.

The issue is then you need to have equal supers on both sides for that to work properly, or have some other objectives worth equal points for balance.

not necessarily we managed to kill 3 super heavy's without using any. if a team chooses to use more they have more points to leave.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I actually really enjoyed the secret objectives, I had alot of fun trying to get my self tabled and even more once I discover my opponents was to table me!!

4000pts of Empire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Quote:
Make it more of a giant battle royal, less fixed "you can only deploy on this table" and more of a "Here is your teams tables, go" though this would take more setup and planning time, but truly make it more of a team fight.

I agree maybe instead of one player per table have three players per three tables and create a sort of strategy. Also I would try as much as possible to have equal number of titans fighting eachother on each three table section which you did very well in this game!

Quote:
table one = Imperium Fortress Walls Defence = 3 pts if defended, 5 if captured
- table two = nothing
- table three = Xenos Landing Site = 3 pts if defended, 5 points if beacon is destroyed (and every turn its still up and running Xenos get addition reinforcements, like orbital bombardments

Love that idea but I would keep the secret objective.

1-Make sure models are at least wysiwyg.

2-I would have the imperium side mixed a bit. Space Marine should not just fight alongside space marine and IG alongside IG. The space marine need the fire power of IG and the IG need the wall of space marine in front to protect in close combat.

Give out prizes... furthest to come to the event, best looking titan, best looking army, participation prizes!

Overall love the game, it was amazing!

Merci
Josh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Quickly, the ones I support fully: 4, 5 and 8. Also, to a lesser extent, I think 1 has a lot of merit, and should be explored.

I am not a fan of the Flyer table, as not all flyers are designed for aerial combat, and would give certain advantages to the ones that are, and possibly negate a lot of points for a player within one turn.

The super objectives idea is a really nice one, though I think it should be done in conjunction with the smaller three objectives per table. It would make players make more tactical decisions, as well as create an environment were you could go all out and try to take everything, or focus in on specific objectives.

Also, instead of structure points for objectives, why not make fallen super heavies objectives? Once they are dead, they become something to fight for (unless they go Apocalyptic, of course).

Just some thoughts. Will contribute more when rested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Well one thing that I really hated was the time limit. I understand that we need to keep things moving, but when You have so many models and next year with more points I think we should up it to an hour and a half. I understand this will take up a lit of time so we would need to start earlier, but then everyone would have a chance to get things done. And don't we all just want to see stuff blow up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

At an hour and a half we would end up having to play on Sunday as well. That would be insane, and not the good kind of insane.

I do, however, really like the idea someone suggested about having 3 players on 3 tables, so that you end up with a sort of mini-team. I wish I could have interacted with my teammates more, and that would do just that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 am 
Gold Vault Member

We could always try and start earlier on Friday, and as far as 3 proletariat per 3 tables, you can do that any way really, it happened all over the area I was in. People just started some stuff of to either board edge and then moved them in first turn.

4000pts of Empire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ryan wrote:
We could always try and start earlier on Friday, and as far as 3 proletariat per 3 tables, you can do that any way really, it happened all over the area I was in. People just started some stuff of to either board edge and then moved them in first turn.
I was stretched so thin by the end of that because I was doing that... Fun, though...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:08 am 
Bronze Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
I thought the secret objectives were great. Mine was to keep my most expensive HQ alive for the entire game. And I did it! Gouthem and his command squad survived till the end, AND they kicked some tyranid butt in close combat! AWESOME!!!!!

I thought the time limit was good, I was able to do everything in 45 minutes. I had about 124 models in my army. At one point my Guardsmen charged the tyranid swarms, but the combat was pretty complex so we didn't finish that assault phase until the beggining of next turn.
They served the emperor well. They did exactly what I wanted them to do. Keep the front line away from the important stuff. Poor poor guardsmen.

I completley agree about the mini teams. 3 people can figure out how to deploy on three tables.
This happened with us, there was me and 2 other grey knight players (with 5000 points each) on 2 boards against 2 nid players (8000 points each).
I was supposed to be in the middle, so I had some of my force on one table, and the rest on another. This worked really well and made us feel like a team.

Yes maybe some earlier notice of which table we are supposed to be on, but I guess they didn't figure out how the tables were going to be until the day of?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I liked the secret objective idea as well. As it gives the player something else to work towards, and not just objective grabbing.

A first turn flyer table would be fun, but may be unnecessarily time consuming. As every player with flyers will no doubt be concerned with two tables and would limit attention for either table. I like the idea but it would hinder the players who brought them for the first couple of turns.

I also like the table specific objectives.
For Example: table 1 - "Rescue a Imperial Chapel" Imperial player has to transport a unit of missionaries out of the warzone.

table 2 - "Protect the unholy Icon" Chaos player has to keep the Icon alive by sacrificing a model from a unit every turn.

and so on....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

yea, i just think just sitting super heavy's on little objectives id really anti-climatic