It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Just wondering, if MiniWarGaming where to shoot for 1,000,000 points next year, how many people would come down for it? Are there enough people on the fourms with at least 5k points? Can any one building possibly stand the awsomeness that would unfold or would it explode under the pressure? Where the heck would all the tables come from?!?

Basically, what should people do to prepare and when should the planning of awsomeness commence?

Imagine.... 1 million after only its third year.... 8) :mrgreen:

4000pts of Empire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:45 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
1mil would be insane... they could host it in two different buildings with tables that connect on the side walk... and anyody can come... with tables from every local game shop...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:47 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Hrmm... that would be pretty epic! thougfh the heat might melt any resin and incinerate any players if it was anything like todays... Why did the AC Break! Why! :(

4000pts of Empire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:49 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
:lol:
the ac broke...

I feel kind of bad... but then there was lots of carnage so it doesnt matter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:14 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
1 million points is a great thing to strive for... but even I have to wonder about the sanity in it.

If Matt and the crew did try it out, there would have to be a few changes... one, the point cap would have to be lifted... maybe 10-15k per person.

Maybe have a restriction on Flyer movement (max it out at say 5 tables?)

Oh... and a minimum of 2+ to the Catastrophic Damage Table!

Yes, and there need to be some removable bridges between tables, so people can move from one side to the other... 6' is a long way to reach across... for the *ahem* vertically challenged... not that I saw any of them there yesterday... but you know.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:35 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ya, we'd defiantly need an easy way to go from one side of the table to the other instead of walking all the was around.

10-15k could work, mabey a maximum of 10k normal codex stuff and up to 5k extra apocalypse stuff? So you get 15k, you take a minimum of 10k, you can have 0-10k of non apocalypse stuff and 0-15k of apocalypse and you can't go over 15k?

They're probably have to have at least an extra day or mabey set up Thursday, start Friday 9-9 and finish Saturday 9-9.

I say this because everyone will need at least 5-10 more minutes to finish their turns and the video recap would take alot longer.

I agree on the flyer rule, mabey we can even have then Abe to go 5 tables as you said but they can be deployed any where?

4000pts of Empire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

- Flyers should enter on a separate table on the 1st turn, this would mimic a high altitude dog fight air space, in which flyers fight other flyers, after a turn of fighting on this table, planes may choose to disengage and enter anywhere on the main apocalypse table. This will weaken the planes and thin out the number of flyers and will make for a lot of dog fighting fun!

- About fighting across the 6 foot, no one listened to my idea of staggering the tables one foot on either side! this mean you can go to the table next to you, and would only ever need to reach across 4 feet!

Like this:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:32 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

and one last thing, i hate to be the one to complain but:

An ability for small vehicles in 40K should not transfer over to Super Heavy Vehicles (such as Tech Priest repairs, Mec Boyz force fields etc.) I went up against four 500-600 point stompas and they were harder to kill than a reaver or a heirophant!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:51 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Yet you still killed most everything. How can you complain about an even fight? Matt even laughed at people who thought that Big Mek Kustom forcefields were unbalanced at the beginning of the game. Get over it. You have plenty of powerful things too.

quote from Matt: " we want feedback, but not about something was overpowered or not. I dont care. I want to know if it was fun or not."

-Grukk, Ork Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Can we make it so when you take out a super-heavy/titan is HAS to go apocalyptic?

Its the one thing that made me sad that game, my shadowsword killed 5 supers and not one exploded :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I can totally do 15,000pts next year. Let's just see what can be done now that I have a few months ahead of me until the next apocalypse game. How many Warlords = 15,000pts (pause for a quick math moment)... a total of 6 Warlords...oooooooh!...or 3 Imperator Titans...okay NOW I'm starting to slide into the ridiculous - but if the point limit is opened up even more I shall get busy building and creating some things worthy of higher pts...dun dun duh!

But Please!! Please!! Please put me on a 6' or 8' long table next year. My Warlord was all about distance weapons (three of which had 24" minimum range) and I geared my list for a tight 4' deployment area with a long 6' reach.

LaughterofGods was an excellent opponent but both he and I found it interesting that our armies had already met in the middle by the end of turn 1. 4' is just too short a distance between 8000pt opponents.

Krome to the rescue

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Ignite him with a Flamestorm Cannon and he will be warm for the rest of his life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

We actually didn't meet until turn two because you blocked the table off with your two Thunderhawks Randolph. ;) But yeah, I had planned on playing the long way as well, but it happens. The best laid plans of mice and men and all. I think we both made the best of it and had a great game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Dayio wrote:
Yet you still killed most everything. How can you complain about an even fight? Matt even laughed at people who thought that Big Mek Kustom forcefields were unbalanced at the beginning of the game. Get over it. You have plenty of powerful things too.

quote from Matt: " we want feedback, but not about something was overpowered or not. I dont care. I want to know if it was fun or not."

Yes our table was one of the most balanced and i had one hell of a good time, im not saying it was unbalanced. Im just saying that a 500 point model that has 4 structure points and 2 void shields should not benefit from an ability that is geared towards things in 40k. Taking cover saves on shields just seems a little ridiculous. The other thing that i thought should not of transfers was the grott riggers, titans are able to repair their weapons on their own on a 4 plus, but what was happening was i would destroy every weapon on a stompa just to have the riggers repair them and fire the weapons on the same turn they were just repaired. Am i the only one that thinks this is a problem? If so let me know and ill shut up! I had fun regardless, i dont care about wining or loosing, i just care about well balanced matches and fun.

That however does bring me to some feedback, the poor player next to me had 5000 points but he was playing against a player that had 8000 points, and was using both Tau and Imperial Guard codecs, the poor guy was 99% tabled by then end of turn 3. I think for following games, points between players should be more balanced, as best as they can be. And rules such as one army one should be followed, Tau are not supposed to have imperial guard titans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:00 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I made this suggestion to Matt in person, but will post it here before I forget, and see what others thought.

Some of us noticed that in the attempts to balance everything for the game, to ensure maximum enjoyment, there was still some cracks that opened up. Two that stood out for me were these:

1)A number of forces were mis-matched in the sense that there were tables where 8k points was facing 5k.
2)Heavy concentrations of Superheavies mixed with low concentrations

Now, the first one, as Matt explained to me was a reasonable issue that arised at the last moment. Everything was planned using the point totals listed in the sign-up thread, while not everyone updated it as they changed their lists. Secondly, some people canceled/failed to show up.

The first solution would be to put a deadline on final point tallys. It would mean that a week or two before the game, we are no longer able to modify (add/subtract) to our list, barring an event that makes our models unavailable (like a Raccoon eating some defense line, or a squirrel introducing itself to a land raider). This would allow for a great degree of planning to take place, and would then create more even match ups, as no one wants to be on the wrong end of 8k points if they only have 5k. Most people I saw were great sports about it, but it still kind of sucks (for the record, I was on the 8k end, so this is not belly-aching).

The other half of the issue with the no shows and cancellations, well not much can be done there.

Another potential solution, and one I mentioned to Matt, was that if there was still a disparity in points, you match people up in a way where two lower point totals are flanking a higher point total, and then allow the higher point total player to deploy up to a certain amount of their force (during deployment) on their adjacent tables. Not a perfect fix, but would ease some of the planning obstacles.

The second problem is a tougher one, as from a planning perspective, you want titans vs. titans and superheavies vs. superheavies. The only suggestion I can think of would be to space the large things that can reach out and touch you a little bit further apart, but then that creates an extra level of planning complexity, so... yeah...

Besides that, everything went well in mind.

As for points, next year if the points are opened up, I can definitely rise to the challenge, especially with some of the stuff I plan to buy between now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:21 pm 
Gold Vault Member

I agree with most of what you said, mabey people should say whether or not they can deal with super heavies and then match acordingly? I actually liked facing super heavies even though I had none my self :mrgreen: Plus it made me want some for next year!

4000pts of Empire